Status: done.

Stir-Crazy

016

I couldn’t take it any longer.

I had already dealt with the news of my mother’s baby and the whole-get-together with Samantha. I needed to take a break.

Somehow, I had ended up near the cliff where I attempted to cliff dive when Jacob and I were still friends.

I sat down near the edge, glancing at the water below.

The height seemed even bigger now that I was alone.

It was the early evening now, and my favorite time of day.

The sun skimmed the horizon. A number of seagulls flew overhead.

A cool breeze gently blew over the water, causing a ripple of purple, blue, and pink waves.

The ocean was beautiful.

I could faintly smell the scent of pine from the surrounding forest, and the fragrance reminded me of Jacob.

But Jacob wasn’t here right now. He was probably chatting with Cora on the phone, or doing something better with his time.

He wasn’t here to hold my hand when we jumped off the rocks.

He wasn’t here to lace his fingers in mine. He wasn’t here to drag me onto the beach.

He wasn’t here to help me.

I repressed the urge to run to Jacob’s house, or call him on my phone, realizing that we weren’t friends anymore and he wouldn’t want anything to do with me.

Instead, I looked down at the water, murky yet inviting. It was calling me.

Jump, Elaine.

Somehow, I ended up peeling off my shirt and my pants, leaving me only in my underwear and bra.

I glanced around, just to make sure nobody was around. Once I realized the coast was clear, I looked back at the water.

Take a chance.

Taking a deep breath, I attempted to do a perfect swan dive and propelled into the water. It worked, and I emerged happily.

The saltiness made my tongue tingle, and I blinked a few times while treading water.

Good job. Prove you aren’t a coward.

I managed to swim to shore, though it seemed farther this time without Jacob’s strong arms pulling me along.

I coughed a little bit as I crawled onto the shore and breathing heavily, I glanced back at the ocean.

Does that make you feel better, Elaine?

Panting, I stretched, trying to catch my breath. I felt lightheaded and laid down on the sand. I stared at the purplish-orange sky, and closed my eyes, hoping not to wake up.

Elaine…

[ x o x o]

“Lainey!”

I woke up, to feel my body go numb. I shot up frantically, wondering where

I was. It didn’t register at first, but as I felt the drops of water rolling down my face, I realized it was raining.

The second thing I realized was that I was naked.

Actually, I was in my underwear.

Was this just a bad dream?

The sky was a dark grey, and the rumble of thunder was heard in the distance. I was in the middle of a thunderstorm.

Suddenly, the beach seemed to shake violently as another bout of thunder crashed and bolts of lightning pierced the sky. It was so vivid.

I looked around, trying to find the voice calling me. I noticed a figure that I quickly identified as Jacob, running up to me. I felt like I would die.

I was in my underwear!

This had to be a nightmare!

My first instinct was to blush, but as soon as I saw the expression on Jacob’s face, I struggled to breathe.

His stare was intense, and his eyes were filled with worry. His hair was a matted mess, and clung to his forehead. His forehead was crumpled and his hands were shaking.

“I was so worried.” He breathed out, hugging me to his chest. I felt the warmth of his chest through his shirt, and it sent my body into a frenzy. He was soaking wet, but so was I. The warmth felt good against my skin. “What happened?!”

“I-I was cliff d-d-diving.”

“What?”

“I was cliff diving…”

“So why are you on the beach…in your underwear?!”

“I wanted to cliff dive and then I fell asleep on the beach.”

“What the hell were you thinking?” I was about to yell at him for basically calling me stupid, but he gripped my shoulders tightly, and looked me straight in the eyes. “Don’t you ever do that to me again! I thought you had been kidnapped. Or murdered. Or raped!”

The seriousness in his voice scared me, and I felt like I couldn’t speak.

“I-I’m sorry.” I stuttered, not exactly sure what to say.

His eyes smoldered into mine, and I felt like shrinking away slightly.

“You were gone for twenty-six hours!”

“I-I…”

“Let’s get you back home.” I was about to protest, but I figured there was no use now.

We climbed back to the dirt road where Jacob’s car was parked. He opened the door for me and I climbed in, shivering.

He climbed into the driver’s seat and sped away.

“I-I’m sorry for wetting your car.” He eyed me slowly.

“That’s the least of my worries.” He mumbled, keeping his eyes on the road ahead. He pulled up at his house and I stared at him in confusion.

“Why are we here?”

“Just go in. We need to get you changed into something more…decent.”

He led me inside, and Billy stared at me questioningly, about to open his mouth when Jacob shook his head. Billy shrugged before turning back to the television.

Jacob lead me to a room which I suppose was his, before slamming shut and opening different drawers. He pulled out a towel and a dark green shirt before disappearing. He reappeared a few seconds later with a bra and some cotton underwear. I raised an eyebrow and he threw the underwear on the bed.

“My sister’s.” He shrugged before glancing at me. “You can shower and change in the bathroom, I’m going to call your parents to let them know you’re safe.”

He showed me to the bathroom and how to use the shower before politely shutting the door.

My thoughts were scattered, but I managed to climb into the shower, letting the scalding hot water, cleanse my skin. Once I finished, I changed into the clean clothes, before making my way to the living room.

“Yes, Sue.” I heard Jacob saying. “She’s here now, so I have to go. Yes, uhuh. Okay. Goodbye.”

“What did my mother want?” I asked, taking a place on the sofa.

Billy mumbled something about making dinner before disappearing into the kitchen.

Jacob stared at me, his eyes roaming my body quickly before looking away, embarrassed.

“You’re staying here tonight.” I looked at him, bewildered and he was quick to add. “The lightning is supposed to get much worse, and Sue doesn’t want you to go out in this weather.”

“It can get worse than this?”

He nodded, before we waited in awkward silence. I started to shiver, even though I had already taken a hot bath.

“Are you cold?”

“Freezing.” I muttered, not bothering to lie.

I raised my eyebrows as Jacob sat down next to me.

I was about to mutter a string of profanities as he wrapped his arms around me, but then I realized he had a purpose.

His arms were burning.

I rested my head on his shoulder and we sat there for a while.

Slowly, I began to stop shivering and Jacob grinned.

“Thanks, Jacob.” I wasn’t sure exactly what I was saying thank you for.

Whether it was for rescuing me, giving me a place to stay, keeping me warm, or just being a good person. For just being Jacob.

“I’m your own personal space heater.” He smiled a smile that reached his eyes, before laughing. “And please, friends call me Jake.”
♠ ♠ ♠
I read the last chapter and realized it was such a filler, I needed something to keep you guys happy. So, did this chapter make you happy? Personally, I liked this chapter, Full of suspense, ooh la la :)
My dad just came in, and said that I had to get off the computer.
SO.
6 comments= an update!
Gracias!