Status: done.

Stir-Crazy

017

Dinner was delicious.

Billy made some homemade fish fry, and let me say, it was the best and only fish fry I have ever tasted.

“This is really delicious.” I mumbled, scarfing down the fish fry as though my life depended on it.

We all sat at the small dinner table, and I assume this was one of the rare occasions that Jacob and his father actually sat at the table.

The dinner was filled with laughter and the sharing of stories.

My favorite was the story of when Jacob was little he wanted to be a pilot, and spent hours dashing around the house making airplane noises.

Billy claimed he still had the home videos that Sarah taped a while back.

I learned that Jacob’s mother-Sarah-had died when he was very young, and he had two sisters named Rachel and Rebecca.

He didn’t talk much about them, but you could tell that he adored them.

In exchange for Jacob’s airplane story, I told my story about when I was little, I had the biggest obsession with squirrels.

Jacob stared at me like I was insane, though I told him that it was because I thought they were cute and so small.

“You’re so weird.” He had muttered, and I stuck my tongue out at him.

Billy laughed, saying something about what it was like to be young.

After the dinner was eaten (mostly by Jacob), we cleared up and Jacob and I washed the dishes.

“You don’t have to.” He told me, gesturing for me to sit down.

“And let you do all the work?” I scoffed and told him to move over.

He obliged, and the next thing I know, he’s washing and I’m drying. We finished the dishes quick enough, and we made our way to Jacob’s room.

It was plain.

A bed that obviously could not contain Jacob’s height sat in on corner.

A small television with a DVD player sat horizontal to the bed, so you could view the television while lying down.

The walls were painted a deep green, and it reminded me of his shirt that I was wearing.

Underneath the television was stacks of DVDs and some CD’s. The bureau was next to the television, with drawers overflowing with clothes.

It seemed so friendly and so…Jacob.

“Sorry about the room.” He muttered. He glanced at the clock which revealed that it was only half past eleven. I had a feeling we wouldn’t be falling asleep anytime soon. “What do you want to do?”

“Let’s watch a movie.” Jake and I sorted through his various DVDs before deciding on a scary movie.

“Are you sure you can handle this?” He asked, gesturing to the cheesy cover. I scoffed.

“Are you saying I can’t handle a scary movie?”

“Yes.”

“Bring it on.” He put the movie in the DVD player and started it, and as the opening credits rolled on, Jake grinned.

“You can turn back now…”

“Fat chance.”

We made ourselves comfortable on his bed, sitting shoulder to shoulder.

We watched the movie in silence, though Jacob kept glancing at me to see my expression anytime a scary part came on.

I didn’t even flinch.

After the movie ended, Jacob looked at me bewildered. The movie wasn’t even scary.

At all.

It was cliché movie about a flesh-eating monster who attacked a couple on their honeymoon. The costumes sucked and the effects looked like they came from kindergarteners.

“How are you not scared?”

“Do you peg me as that much of a wuss?”

“No, but I assumed you would be at least a bit scared. I mean, when he ate the husband alive, wasn’t that at least a little bit scary?”

“Not at all.”

“How can you not be scared?!”

“I’m sorry if I don’t get scared easily.”

“Cora freaked out when I showed this to her.”

“I’m no Cora.”

“I noticed.”

We just stared at each other. It became awkward after that, and I struggled for something to say.

“You sure can pick a good movie, Jake.” I said, sacrcastically, hoping to lighten the mood.

“Hey! Like you can pick any better!”

“I can! That movie was so cheesy.”

“You have to admit, you were scared.”

“Oh yes!” I gasped sarcastically. “I was absolutely dying when the couple started kissing. I mean, how can they kiss like that? It was terrifying!” We both laughed.

I glanced at the clock instinctively, and saw that it was well passed midnight.

“I’m going to hit the hay, Jake.” I yawned.

He nodded, before looking out the window. It was still pouring.

The trees swayed roughly, scratching the roof above us.

“Can I have a blanket?”

He happily obliged, but started to protest as I made myself a bed on the floor.

“What are you doing?” he asked.

“Making myself a bed.”

“You’re the guest. You’re sleeping on the bed.”

“I can’t put you out like that.”

“I insist.”

“No, I would feel guilty if I slept in your bed.”

“And I would feel guilty if I let you sleep on the floor.”

We stared at each other for a minute, before I gave in. I was a sucker for Jacob.

“Fine.” I huffed and Jake grinned in triumph.

He went to shower quickly as I made myself comfortable in his bed. It was so soft, and it smelled just like him.

He came out a few minutes later in dark blue boxers and a thin white undershirt that clung to his chest.

I stared in awe.

I’m in heaven…

“You don’t mind do you?” I stared at him in shock, trying to find words. “I could cover up, if you want…”

I managed to shake my head. And he shrugged, before settling onto the floor.

“Night, Lainey.”

“Night Jake.”

“Sweet dreams.” He murmured before cutting off the light.

Whether it was the sound of the rain pattering on the room, Jacob’s breathing or his soft bed, I‘m not sure. But I was quick to fall into a dreamless sleep.

[ x o x o x ]

I woke up to light streaming through the blinds.

Wait. I didn’t have blinds.

My eyes shot open, but then everything came flooding back. The cliff dive, the shivering, the fish fry dinner, the horrible movie, and Jake’s underclothes.

I looked down at the floor and realized it was empty. The sheets were thrown back, and the pillow was thrown to the side.

Jake was already awake.

I looked at the clock on his bedside table, and squinted at the small neon numbers.

10:32

I crawled out of bed, and pulled down on the shirt Jacob lent me. It had ridden up in my sleep, and had pooled around my stomach when I woke up. Checking my appearance in the mirror quickly, I opened the door.

I was about to turn into the living room, but I stopped halfway in the hallway when I heard a murmur. I recognized it as Jacob’s voice and it took me a second to realize that he was talking on the phone.

“Yes. Yes, I understand.” He said.

I crept closer to the end of the hallway, trying to catch what he was saying. Crouching down low, I attempted to eavesdrop.

I peeked around the corner to see Jacob dressed in a black shirt and some cut-offs. He was sitting on the couch, his back to me.

“Why do you have to be like this?”

The voice said something back, which I couldn’t hear and I saw Jacob nodding.

“I’m sorry.” He said.

More murmuring on the other end.

It was silent for a minute, and I heard Jacob take in a deep breath.

“Cora, I’m breaking up with you.”
♠ ♠ ♠
ohhhhhhhh! Juicy :)
I wanted to make it good for you guys.
Please, I like feedback!
So...6 comments=update!
Thanksyou!