Status: done.

Stir-Crazy

023

“They are here.”

“What?” I stared at the small girl in front of me.

I had never seen her in my life, but there was something familiar about her.

She was short, and had pale skin like a porcelain doll. Her voice was like a sweet song, each word thick and full of life.

“The vampires are arriving,” she repeated. I glanced at Bella, who stood frozen in place.

“Alice, are you sure?” Bella asked, her voice rigid and stiff, unlike the melodic voice I had heard earlier.

“I’m positive. The vision is crystal clear.” The small girl said.

She had spiky black hair and big gold eyes, much like Bella’s. This was Alice, the vision-teller vampire.

“How many of them are there?” Bella asked.

“Around one hundred and seventy. It looks like Aro has gotten all of the Volterra vampires involved.”

“Even with the werewolves and the covens that we have gathered, we barely make one hundred.”

“We can do it,” Alice assured, “we’re stronger.”

“Alice, they are stronger than us. They are the Volturi!”

“Relax Bella!”

”Okay...but please let Jacob know,” Bella exclaimed, placing a small hand on Alice’s shoulder.

“Edward already did.”

“Edward?” I questioned, completely unaware what was going on.

“My husband.” Bella exclaimed, grabbing my arm and dragging me further into the house. Her hand was cold, and sent involuntary chills up my spine. “Jacob should be here soon.”

As if on cue, the door flung open and almost flew off of its hinges, revealing a very surprised looking Jacob.

“They’re here already?” Jacob asked, looking directly at Bella. “They weren’t supposed to be here for another hour and a half!”

“You can’t exactly tell vampires what to do,” Alice chimed, rocking on the balls of her feet.

“So...we’re really doing this then?”

“Don’t back out, Jacob!” Bella hissed, venomously.

“Okay, I’ll let Seth and the Pack know.” He bounded towards the door, and only then did I realize what this meant.

Vampires were coming, and they might destroy my Jacob. I might never see him again. He would be gone, and so would a piece of me.

I got up, ready to follow Jacob, but Bella stopped me.

“You’re going to have to stay here,” she said, sending me a sympathetic look. “We can handle it out there, but you’re still a human, and you might get killed.”

“So everyone is going to fight, and possibly die, while I have to sit here and wait?!” Bella nodded solemnly.

I let out a wail, and Jacob immediately spun around.

“What’s wrong?” He asked, his voice laced with worry.

“I-I,” I felt like a baby, about to cry as Alice and Bella watched on, “I don’t want you to go.” I felt even more childish, acting like a toddler on the first day of school.

Jacob smiled sadly, and wiped away the tears that I didn’t even notice were falling.

“I have to go,” he sighed.

“Will you...be okay out there?”

“I’ll be fine,” he murmured, giving me a quick peck on the lips. “I’m more worried about you, than I am about my life. I just don’t want them to get anywhere near you.”

“I-I I want you to promise me that you will stay out of danger. If one of them comes near you, I want you to run.”

“I promise,” he smiled, kissing me again.

I wrapped my arms around him and held him close, inhaling his scent for the last time. It would have to last me for god knows how long. Jacob smiled once again, before kissing my temple.

“I love you,” he told me, and my heart skipped a beat. My eyes lit up and I felt my lips form a large smile.

“I love you too,” I grinned, giving him a kiss once more.

“Sorry to break up the festivities,” Alice cooed, looking innocent but slightly nauseated, “but there are vampires nearby and we need to get going.”

Jacob gave me a finally kiss goodbye, and both Alice and Bella gave me hugs, before the three of them disappeared.

I watched them leave through the window, and watched as Jacob transformed into a wolf, before they took off into the forest.

I hope Jacob will be okay, I thought.

_________________________________________________

The phone rang at four a.m. the next morning, and jolted me awake.

Normally, I wouldn’t have bothered to get out of bed, let alone get the phone, but since I was by myself in a strange house, alone, in the darkness, with all my friends off to war with monsters, my eyes shot open instantly.

In the darkness, I managed to grope around my bedspread, as I had slept next to the phone in case someone were to call.

“Hello?” My voice was raspy, and laced with grogginess, but it was quite obvious that I was anxious and a little worried.

“Lainey?” A male voice questioned, but I couldn’t figure out who it was.

It wasn’t Jacob, which meant that something had to be wrong. Jacob would have contacted me by now.

“Yeah?” I asked, but got no response. I soon became frantic, “Who is this?”

“It’s Paul,” he said, and I relaxed slightly, but was now sitting completely upright, almost falling off of the bed.

“What’s up?” I attempted to act normal, as though Paul and I were having an everyday conversation.

It didn’t work, as my voice came off shaky and high-pitched.

“I’ll be home soon.”

“Paul...” A million thoughts raced through my mind, “what’s going on?”

Nothing could have saved me from the panic that coursed through my veins from what I heard next, and I managed to feel the phone slip from my grasp.

My vision was cloudy, and everything after that was a blur. I managed to see the phone crash onto the hardwood floor, the back cracking and the batteries flying out.

I paid no mind though, as I was too busy replaying the four words that I had just heard. The four words that may have destroyed my entire existence, my entire reason for living.

“We have a problem.”
♠ ♠ ♠
comments?
I updated finally!
feedback gets me going!
ooooh. what do you think the problem is?
comment if you have any ideas of what you would like it to be :)