Status: done.

Stir-Crazy

025

"Smile everyone!" Emily cooed, the camera blocking her face from my view.

My eyes hurt from the constant flash of the camera, and from squinting in the afternoon sun.

It was too hot to be taking pre-graduation photos, especially when those photos were taking place on the reservation's only field.

The grass was unkempt, and continued to tickle my legs.

My heels got caught into the dirt, and the itchy fabric of our graduation gowns, made it harder to concentrate.

Leah peaked at the picture over Emily's shoulder, the corners of her lips turning upwards into a smile.

"Lainey! Open your eyes more!" Leah called, and a few people shifted behind me, knocking me sideways. "Cameron! Don't make that face! Tia, what's going on?!"

As graduation committee leader, Leah found it upon herself to boss everyone around when it came time to be taking pictures.

Seth's death was hard for her, but she attempted to block out the depression by joining other activities, and trying not to sulk. There was only so much she could do though, as he was her brother and would always hold a special place in her heart.

As she had already gone through a slump when Sam dumped her, Leah knew she shouldn't go through that again, and decided to take action.

The same could not be said for Sue Clearwater, who spent most of her time at work.

"Will all students please make their way to the auditorium?" The vice-principal shouted, his forehead creasing with stress and anticipation.

Murmurs were heard as students discarded their drinks, fixed their caps and in Leah's case, put away their cameras before making their way to the auditorium.

Parents that had milled around aimlessly noticed this, and either stood around to continue chatting, or followed their children.

I scanned the crowd for Jacob, but sighed in disappointment once realizing that he already went inside.

Leah stood beside me impatiently, before getting fed up and grabbing my hand.

She dragged me into the dim hall, searching for our seats.

As Leah was a Clearwater, and I a Peters, I was forced to head to the back of the graduating class.

I searched for my seat that I had occupied in rehearsal, and shuffled to sit in between Henry Papperman and Cho Pinder.

Cho sent me a wave of acknowledgement, and I smiled back, before crossing my legs and looking down at my program.

We were supposed to be on our best behaviour, but that didn't stop some of the people in my row from throwing spitballs from god-knows-where into people's hair.

Sighing, I waited until the graduation started.

Eventually, the spit balls were cleaned up, the crowd was silenced, and the principal made his way onto the stage.

He was a mess.

His face was flushed from the heat, and sweat decorated his forehead, though he clutched a tissue and dabbed his receding hairline occasionally.

His usual cow-lick was flat and clung to his forehead, and his suit suffered a severe case of pit stains. He seemed happy enough, but it was probably to get rid of us.

He launched into a speech about our excellence, and having such sensational seniors, before a few other unknown speakers talked about the years in school.

I sent a confused look to Cho, who had been going to La Push High since middle school, but she paid me no attention.

The valedictorian Irene McIntosh spoke, before they were ready to give out the diplomas.

Believe it or not, Cora Anderson was the first one to receive her diploma.

After taking extra credit for many of her classes, Cora managed to pass, and get into her second choice college.

Cora had been nice to me after our initial fight, and I forgave her after she had proven to me that she really was a nice person.

I let out a cheer as Cora shook the sweaty hand of the principal.

A few people approached the podium following Cora, including Marcus Andrews, Daniela Bethel and Simone Bindle.

Finally, I spotted Jacob approach the podium.

He shook hands with the principal, his own hand engulfing his sweaty one.

Jacob looked gorgeous. His jet black hair was growing out again, and hung low under his graduation cap. His muscular arms were outlined in his gown.

He took his diploma and smiled for (Leah's) camera, before looking out into the audience.

I immediately jumped up, and our eyes locked, as I let out an ear-splitting cheer. My hands stung from clapping so hard, but I didn't care. My heart soared, as he winked at me, before smiling for Billy's camera this time.

The grin on Jacob's face was worth it.

His gown barely touched his ankles as he made his way back to his seat.

Slowly, the crowd began to thin out, as all the seniors got their diplomas, smiling and laughing.

"Henry Papperman," our principal echoed, before Henry practically flew up to the stage to except his certificate.

The principal looked exhausted, but glanced down at the list in front of him and put on a fake smile, before calling my name.

"Lainey Peters!" I gulped, as I briskly made my way onto the stage, suddenly getting nervous.

I grasped the principal's sticky palm, before grabbing my certificate. I heard a loud amount of cheering and a "That a girl!" before looking out into the audience.

The sight in front of me made me smile.

My mother and John were standing, cradling their newest child Sarah, Leah was continuously snapping pictures, Emily and Sam were wrapped up in each other while clapping, Embry, Jared and the pack were smiling and waving, and Jacob stood up, grinning at me.

My knees went weak, and I could practically feel myself going into swoon mode, but quickly steadied myself and walked off the stage.

I suffered through the unbearably long graduation, all the way to Laura Zimmerman, before quickly departing from the hall.

Looking for Jacob, I sighed, hearing the congratulations all around me.

"Congrats!" Leah said, pulling me into a hug. I giggled, before wrapping my arms around her.

"We're done!" Cho waved her diploma in the air, sending me a wave as she passed.

"I'm so proud of you!" My mother squealed, maneuvering through the crowd with the baby in her arms. "Hold this…" She murmured to John, before wrapping her arms around me.

I laughed, before returning the hug. John offered his hand, but I grinned and pulled him into a one armed hug, careful not the hurt the baby.

He smiled, and wiped his palms against his dress pants, before handing the baby back to my mother.

Warm arms wrapped around my waist, and I didn't even bother to look up.

"Hey you," his warm breath hit my ear, and I found myself getting butterflies all over again.

"Hey," I mumbled, pulling his face down to give me a kiss.

He happily obliged, ignoring the fact that my parents were right there. My head felt light and I became dizzy, but I ignored it and pulled him back down again.

He grinned, parting, but he kept his hands on my waist.

"We've finished," I waved my diploma at him, and he mirrored my actions, "we never have to go to high school again."

"I know," he smiled, pulling me close. "It's wonderful."

"I'm going to University of Washington in the fall." I mumbled, and I felt him smile.

"And I got that mechanic internship, so I can be close to you."

"Have I told you I love you?"

"Mmhm."

"Well I love you," I grinned, before pulling his face down to meet mine once again.

"Good to know," Jacob said.

"I'm worried."

"Why?"

"We might not be together always."

"Trust me, we'll be together forever."

"Forever?"

"Forever." Jacob echoed, before capturing my lips in his once again.

"Smile!" Leah and Emily cooed in unison, before the flash of the camera blinded me once again.

But this time, I didn't even mind.

"Forever."
♠ ♠ ♠
I'm done. Finished. Finito. Completed.
The end.
Comments?
One last time.
No sequel. Check out other stories?
I'll miss these characters.
Peace. Love.
Ashlyn.