Status: done.

Stir-Crazy

007

“OH. MY. SHIT.”

I just stared at him.

Or it.

Whatever it was.

One minute, Jacob’s running forward and the next thing I know, a giant wolf was standing in his place. The wolf was huge, as in the size of a horse, with dark russet fur, and big brown eyes.

He blinked at me expectantly, and I realized that the wolf was the same one I saw near the forest. Which meant that I had almost run over Jacob.

Oh God.

Other than my initial extreme shock to the fact that Jacob was not human, I became confused.

“Wait, can you hear me?”

The wolf barked.

“Oh my god. That is so cool. Are you a werewolf? That is so cool!” I paused to a catch a breath, realizing how fast I was talking. “Because, that is like, amazing. But can’t werewolves only change when there is a full moon? I checked the calendar and I thought tonight was going to be a crescent moon. Did it lie? I knew I shouldn’t have gotten that calendar. The one with the puppies was much more appealing. Oh my shit!”

He started galloping away and I stared after him.

“Where are you going?!” I shouted but he just barked.

A couple seconds later, Jacob appeared out of the forest dressed in his signature jean cutoffs.

“That is so cool, Jacob. Why didn’t you tell me sooner?! Does Embry know? Does Leah know? Oh my shit! Does Cora know?”

“Calm down!” Jacob said quickly, cutting me off.

“How can I calm down when I found out my…friend…is a werewolf?”

“Technically, I’m a shape-shifter because I can change when I want.” He laughed like this was all a big joke.

“Jacob! This isn’t funny!”

“I know it isn’t. I’m just wondering why you aren’t afraid.”

“Afraid of what, you looked so cute as a wolf!” I instantly regretted what I said, and I felt the color rise to my cheeks. “I mean, like adorable. You remind me of my aunt’s dog.”

“Lainey.” Jacob was serious now, his face expressionless. “I’ve killed people.”

“Wow. Well…are you like a ravage wolf that just kills people, or do you have a reason?”

“Lainey! How can you be so calm now?!”

“I dunno. You don‘t scare me. I‘ve seen worse.”

“What?”

“Nothing.”

“Lainey…”

“All I want to know is why you are telling me, well showing me…this. You. Like this.”

“I don’t know.”

“Oh.”

“So you think I’m cool?”

“Totally.”

“Well, word on the street is that cats and dogs are boring, but you know I heard that goats, they’re the shiz.” I laughed and swatted him, but he managed to duck.

“So, do you get superpowers with this shape-shifterness?”

“Yeah, I can do stuff really fast, I can hear stuff miles away, I heal really quickly and I’m really strong.”

“Really strong?”

“Yup.”

“Like lift-me-up-strong?”

“Definitely.”

“Wait, you have super-hearing?”

“Yes.”

“So you heard what Leah and I were talking about?”

“Yeah.” My cheeks grew hotter instantly. He chuckled.

“Don’t worry, it’s cool.”

“I still can’t believe this.”

“You’ll get used to it.”

“Should we head back?”

“Sure.”

And we began walking back, slowly just because we could. My hand grazed his accidentally and I gasped slightly, realizing that his hand was burning.

“Is the heat a werewolf thing, too?”

“Yeah, I’m on a permanent fever.”

“Wow.”

“Yup.”

It wasn’t a far walk to the Newton’s house and once we got there, we were instantly greeted by Leah and Emily.

“What took you so long?!” Leah asked exasperatedly.

“Um…I got a little caught up.”

Jacob and I exchanged a look.

And I couldn’t help but smile.
♠ ♠ ♠
BLEH! I didn't like this chapter. It was yucky. Comments anyway? I'll knit you a sweater :)