Status: done.

Stir-Crazy

009

“So, I hear you and Jacob have started a friendship of sorts.”

I glanced up from the laptop on my lap to see my mother sitting on the edge of my bed.

“Yeah, I guess.”

No one said anything for a minute, and I looked up at my mother.

“Well, I don’t like it.”

“Excuse me?”

“He’s got a girlfriend, Elaine.” She sighed, her tone getting darker. “Your step-sister. Remember her?”

“Oh my god!” I laughed in a forced sort of way. “You think I like Jacob?

“No. I know you do.”

“This can not be happening!”

“Elaine, I love you, but you need to stay away from Jacob.” She looked as though she was about to apologize, which she should have right away. “He’s with Cora and I don’t want him to come in between you and your sister’s relationship.”

“We don’t have a relationship. She’s a bitch!”

“Elaine! I will not tolerate such language!”

“It’s true though! All I’ve been trying to do is be nice to her and she keeps being mean.”

“Elaine, you’re not in kindergarten anymore. She’s your sister.”

“I don’t care if she’s God! She’s a whore!”

“Elaine!”

She massaged her temples as though I was causing her stress.

Yeah, right.

It took all my strength, not to hit her.

“Just stay away from Jacob.”

“Are you threatening me?!”

“No, I’m ordering you politely to stop seeing your sister’s boyfriend.”

“I’m not seeing him! We went to the mall for god’s sakes!”

“Elaine.” She warned. She was practically yelling now.

“I am your daughter!” I strained, trying not to cry. “I came out of your fucking vagina! You gave birth to me! And you’re choosing Cora over me? You know what, just leave!”

“Elaine…”

“GO!”

And as my mother retreated, I felt like I didn’t even know her anymore.

We used to get along so well, and now I barely even knew her anymore. I collapsed into my pillow and sighed.

I don’t know how long I stayed there, breathing into my pillow and crying, but my tears were broken by the phone ringing.

I decided not to answer, but as it kept ringing the annoying ringtone assigned, I trudged out of bed and picked up the phone.

“Ugh.” I sniffled, trying to compose myself.

“Are you okay?!”

His voice was frantic. He was worried about me. I hadn’t noticed these small things before. How could I be so oblivious?

“Fine.”

“Are you sure?”

“I’m fine, Jacob.” I spat harshly.

“Oh-okay.”

Oh god.

I had made him upset.

Oh sweet Jesus.

“I’m sorry. Um…you called because…”

“You want to hang out today?”

“I can’t…I have to grocery shop.”

Oh god.

My mother was right.

Jacob was like a forbidden fruit.

Oh god.

I need to stay away.

“I could help you!” He replied eagerly.

Why did he have to be some damn persistent?

“It’s a mother daughter thing.”

“Oh, okay.”

“Yeah, but maybe another time.”

“Okay.”

“I gotta go..”

“Okay. Um…bye.”

“Bye.”

Talk about awkward.

I hung up and exhaled a breath I didn’t realized I was holding.

I got dressed in sweatpants and a faded t-shirt. I might as well go grocery shopping. I never did get that ice cream.

Plus, I couldn’t avoid Jacob forever.

After driving to Sal’s Mini-Mart, I parked and went inside to pick up my ice cream. Finding the right flavor took time, but I eventually made my way to the ten-items-or-less aisle.

Seeing a familiar head of choppy head, I smiled.

“Leah!” She spun around and grinned.

“Lainey!” She frowned suddenly. “Why so sad?”

“I had a fight with my mom. No big deal though.” I was lying through my teeth and Leah could probably tell.

“Oh. Well, I’m sorry to hear that.”

“Yeah.”

A cough interrupted our conversation and Leah rolled her eyes. She side stepped and my eyes found their way to a tall well-built man.

Or kid.

Or boy?

Who knew in this damn reservation. Everyone was so tall.

“This is my little brother, Seth.”

Seth looked at me. I looked at Seth. Seth was definitely not little. He had shaggy black hair that reached a little past the collar of his shirt. He had big brown eyes and tan skin and towered over me.

“Hey.” He smiled.

“Jesus! What do they put in the water here?!” I joked.

He laughed. It was light and slightly boyish.

“Don’t mind her.” Leah laughed. “She’s Lainey Peters. Cora’s sister.”

I noticed that even Leah was on the tallish side, and me being 5’6” didn’t help. I thought I was tall…

“I know who you are.” Seth smiled but blushed once realizing how it came out. “I mean, everyone in the reservation talks…”

“I know what you mean.” I sent him a sympathetic smile. “How old are you, anyway?”

“Sixteen.”

“Cool.”

“Anyway, we got to go, right Seth?”

“What?”

“We. Have. To. Go.”

“Oh.” He sighed and turned back to me, smiling. “Nice meeting you, Lainey.”

“You too!” I smiled at his retreating figure.

There was something in his eyes, like he was holding a certain adoration. But he was younger than me…by over a year. My heart fluttered slightly.
But still, he was pretty attractive.

I waved as he and Leah exited the store and he gave an exited wave back before disappearing out of sight.

Hmm.
♠ ♠ ♠
What do you think?
I threw Seth in there.
Possible love interest???
I realized now that Leah is much older than Jacob and probably still isn't in school anymore, but oh well. She is now 18...
Like it?
Comment.
Otherwise.
boo.
<3