Status: Like a lot of my stories, on hold, unless people start giving me a bunch of requests for a continuation

Really?

Out of Hand

I stood in my living room, pacing back in forth. I had chewed my fingernails down far, a nervous habit of mine that I had carried my whole life. Jake sat on our rose colored sofa, staring straight ahead; silent. He looked like a small child that had just been caught stealing from the cookie jar. I didn’t know how to begin. I took a deep-breath. I was really bad at discipline.
“Jake-,” I began, but as soon as I started speaking, I was interrupted.
“Look, I know I shouldn’t have disobeyed you, that was wrong, but the fight wasn’t my fault. I was acting in self-defense!” he explained loudly. I stared, not entirely sure what to say. After a moment, I finally found words.
“Really? He attacked you first?” Actually, I wouldn’t have found that that hard to believe. I had seen firsthand how wild those parties could get. Jake looked down at his feet.
“Well, no…. not really…” he said, his voice quieter.
“Then what exactly were you defending?” I asked him.
“My honor!” he said looking up. I almost laughed; it was so cliché. But the look in Jake’s eyes told me that this was not the time to be laughing at his expense. Holding in a giggle, I spoke again.
“What exactly happened?” I asked.
“I was just standing there, the guy recognized me from somewhere and started trash-talking me, saying some real nasty stuff too.” He growled.
“What did he say to you?” I asked. He shook his head.
“Not important.” I too shook my head.
“On the contrary, it makes all the difference. If I feel you were provoked in an unfair way, your punishment won’t be as harsh. And I’d tell the truth if I were you. I’ll know if you are lying.” I said menacingly. I usually wasn’t very intuitive, but I could always tell when Jake was lying. He had a tell. He didn’t know that I knew about it, but I figured it out years ago. When Jake lied, he always rubbed his hand across his chin and mouth. I don’t think it was conscious, but it was a dead giveaway. Jake sighed, but did not speak. He just sat there in silence for several moments. I stared at him. Just as he opened his mouth, a loud chime rang out. The doorbell.
“Wait here.” I hissed. Jake was so lucky sometimes, it wasn’t fair! “This better not take long…” I grumbled. I was just getting into the swing of discipline and frankly, I was pleased with myself. I stalked over to the door and pulled it open with more force then was necessary. Fearing that I would startle the innocent person, I immediately put on a more friendly face, but I regretted that because I myself was met by some unfriendly faces.
Standing in my doorway was three boys. I didn’t recognize any of them directly; they looked younger than me by a year or two. I’d guess in Jake’s grade. They glared at me menacingly, or at least they tried. Boys of that age usually aren’t very good at being intimidating. Two were wearing jeans and one was wearing shorts that were so big on him that they might have been my dad’s. And let me tell you, my father is not a small man. I leaned against the doorframe casually and returned their glares with a condescending look of my own.
“Does Jake Barrington live here?” One demanded. I raised an eyebrow, a trait that I prided myself on, not knowing many who could.
“And so what if he does?” I asked snarkily.
“So we want to talk to him, right now.” One of them growled apparently attempting to appear threatening. I must say he was failing miserably. He looked more like a puppy dog who thought he was wolverine. A very ugly puppy.
“What about?” I inquired, overly-polite, mocking him
“That’s not your business.” One of them snarled. I almost burst out laughing at how foolish he seemed.
“Oh, but I’m afraid it is. You see, I don’t much like your tone and if you’re going to come onto my property and disrespect me by attempting to intimidate me (which, may I add, is failing wretchedly) then I’m going to ask the questions. You have no right to make demands.” I told them, like a teacher scolding a five-year-old. It was very demeaning to them and I enjoyed their reaction, as they slowly grew redder and redder in the face.
“You can’t talk to us like that!” One of them shouted, indignant.
“Actually, I can. You see, I am older, and I, unlike you, actually possess some inkling of intelligence.” I said, smiling sweetly. I really did not like these kids and I was siphoning most of my anger towards Jake off on them. I would have liked to have saved some for Jake, but this was way too much fun.
“Why you-,” one of them started. But I never found out what exactly I was, for he seemed unable to think of something to dub me as. Instead, he drew back his fist preparing to have it come in contact with my nose. However, I was ready. I could see their blood beginning to boil from the moment I started speaking to them and I had anticipated this. Anyway, even if I hadn’t predicted it, I would have reacted no differently. It was crudely constructed; it gave me too much warning of his intentions for it to be effective. When he drew his fist back and propelled it forward, I whipped back inside my house and slammed the door. A loud crunch could be heard when something collided with my front door. I had not expected that, I had just wanted to evade the assault. Apparently his reaction time was, shall we say, less than respectable. I opened the door slowly, unsure of what I would see.
The boy who had aimed the punch at me was hopping around farther back on the porch waving his hand around wildly as though he could flick the pain away like a bug. A long, breathy, high-pitched, yet quiet screech was being issued form his gaping mouth.
“YAOOOOOOWOWOWOCHGAGHACKH!” he sang. I doubled over, snorting into my hand. I tried to regain composure and I did after several moments, enough that I could straighten up and look at the other two boys who were staring at me with an expression that was one of fear, incredulity, and anger. Even though I had stopped laughing, I felt the corner of my mouth twitch when I saw their faces.
“So, shall we try that again?” I asked sweetly. I’m sorry, but the hand-door thing worked out way too perfectly. Just like in movies. They turned away, grumbling under their breath. I thought I caught a ‘Forget it,” as they ambled down the porch step, the injured one’s fist clenched tightly as he stifled whimpers in an attempt to maintain what dignity he had (which was not much). I laughed, shut the door, and returned to the living room where Jake (who had apparently been watching through the windows) and Amanda (who had been raiding my refrigerator when we returned) stood chortling. She held a bag of popcorn and was munching on its contents. She turned to me.
“Okay, that’s completely not fair. How come arguments never work out like that for me? I always lose them pathetically, but you always win in a blaze of epic glory. For example, the fist-door thing.” She said laughing. I laughed too.
“Yeah, those things do tend to work out for me, don’t they? But anyway, Jake.” I said turning to him.
“Yeah?” he said heavily.
“First of all, who were those kids and why did they look like they were ready to murder you?” I asked, ready for some answers.
“Kids in my grade. Real dorks too.” He answered vaguely.
“Yeah, I surmised the second part,” I said loftily. “Now why were they so angry?”
“Simple. The one who threw the punch was Ryan Morris’ younger brother. You know, the one I got into a fight with. He’s a real punk. Only he’d be bold enough to try and hit a girl.” Jake snarled furiously. I contemplated that for a moment.
“So, Ryan lost in a fight and he sent his little brother and his cronies to get revenge. How sad.” I scoffed. I had never liked Ryan, but I had never guessed he was so spineless. Jake seemed a little bit proud at these words. True, his victory had been impressive, but it did not excuse it.
“So Jake, what exactly did Ryan say to provoke you?” I prompted. He looked at me unflinchingly.
“I’m sorry, no disrespect, but that’s something I can’t tell you.” He said, not impolitely, just firmly. I sighed. I was in danger of losing control here and I was not about to let that happen. Better quit while I was ahead.
“Alright, fine Jake, you don’t have to tell me. But I’ve decided on your punishment. You’re going to have kitchen duty every night until mom and dad get back. On top of that, you’re in charge of keeping the house clean, and you better not shirk this; I will not be pleased if you do.” I warned. I thought I was being pretty easy on him, but it was the best I could do on the spot. Taking time to think about a punishment would make me seem uncertain of my power. Jake sighed.
“That’s fair, I guess.” He agreed grudgingly. Then a thought struck me.
“Okay Jake, I’ll make a deal with you. You behave while mom and dad are away. And I don’t just mean sulking in your room the whole time. You have to be respectful, courteous, and helpful. I expect you to do your homework and not to stay out too late. I also want the respect I deserve as your sister and the one in charge. You do all that, and I won’t tell mom and dad about your little skirmish.” I said in a business-like tone. Jake looked up at me suspiciously.
“For real?” he asked. I nodded. “Heck yeah! You got it.” He said smiling. I was pleased that this would work out for the both of us. My mother and father were super-tough when it came to discipline so my offer was way better than the alternative.
“Okay Jake, you go clean yourself up as best you can.” I said. His cuts were starting to dry, but if he cleaned them immediately, he might be able to avoid some scabbing. He nodded and obediently ran up the stairs to his bathroom. Amanda turned, smiling approvingly.
“Nice going,” She said genuinely. “You just gave yourself a free ride for the rest of your parent’s trip.” I nodded. She shook her head, smiling.
“I dunno how you think of it all so fast.” She said. I laughed.
“I believe it has something to do with my superior intellect,” I told her. “You staying the night? She laughed too and nodded, hopping on the couch to wait for me to put on a movie.

Sunday passed uneventfully. Jake behaved himself, something I always thought was impossible for him. We both did our homework. Jake completed his, something I also always thought was impossible for him. He was very impressive that day. I commend him.

The next morning was Monday, my favorite day of the week! Oh, you thought I was serious? I’m sorry you’re so clueless. As you can see, I get a little touchy on Monday’s.
I walked to school alone. Jake had gone on ahead of me. It was about a 10 minute walk. I know, very convenient. I played music (Crash into Me, Dave Matthews Band) from my iPod as I dragged my feet slowly to school. I had to go to Honors Chem. today, something I was not looking forward to.
It did not take long for me to wake up with the cool autumn air constantly nipping at my skin. I should have brought a coat.
Soon, the one story school came into view. Someone once took a picture of the school with a rainbow going into it. It now hangs in the school lobby and the photographer got an award- ‘Special Services to the School’. Some service. Lying outright. Honestly, you’d be more likely to find Chuck Norris teaching Biology than find a pot of gold anywhere within a two mile radius of that place.
I climbed the stone steps and pushed open the doors, entering the warmth of my school. The one upside. You could always count on it to be warm.
Directly in the middle of the lobby was a mob of people all standing around two more people. These crowds were becoming a fad or something. Oh well, I wasn’t one to miss out. I curiously joined in the throng, trying to push my way to the center to see what was happening. As soon as I got within three yards of the center I spotted that familiar, six foot blondie. Jake. Ugh. That boy….
In the center of the circle stood Jake (like I mentioned above) and another person, not unlike Saturday night at the party. The main difference was that Jake’s adversary was not Ryan (I didn’t know where he was) but Ryan’s friend, Matt. They were partaking in repartee.
“So what’s your point?” Jake asked, scoffing in a way that reminded me of someone. Oh right, me. Maybe we were related after all.
“My point is that you’re crazy and you can’t get away with what you did to Ryan. That wasn’t right man. You totally violated him.” Matt retorted.
“I had my reasons. It was not uncalled for.” Jake pointed out.
“You’re gonna pay.” Matt snarled.
“How pathetic. First Ryan sends his little brother to try and get revenge and now you. Seriously, his lines of troops are becoming more and more pitiful.” Jake mocked. Nice one.
“Oh, you’re going down now.” Matt threatened.
“Take your best shot.” Jake challenged.
“Please, it won’t take my best.”
“Then take your worst shot for all I care, just bring it on!” Jake provoked. Matt looked about to actually throw a punch, but the Vice principal came along and to break up the fight. I hadn’t done anything because I knew I didn’t have the strength to restrain Jake if he got angry enough.
“That’s enough children. I won’t have this. Time to get to class.” The man said in a drawling voice. The crowd slowly dispersed, including Jake and Matt, eyes still on each other glaring.
Okay, this was starting to get out of hand.
♠ ♠ ♠
So yeah, that's all I have of this story, if you think I should write more, let me know, because otherwise I won't