Belle's Memory

James' Records and Music.

I was unable to move and couldn’t speak. My arms felt irritated and raw. I couldn’t see very well, and my hair felt wet. Someone was moving around and flinging things into the air, looking for something. I wanted to tell them to stop, since it was my stuff, but I couldn’t and everything went black…
I fell to the ground breathing hard.
What is with these horrible dreams? I thought.
I got up off the couch I feel asleep on. The television was on and playing some musical. I folded the blanket I was covered with. I know I wasn’t covered with it before, so I know someone put it on me when I slept. I felt happy that one person in my family cared.
I got up, and walked into the kitchen after putting the folded blanket upon the couch arm. No one was in here, it seemed quiet and unnerving. I located the clock and it read 4:30. I walked around, not knowing what to do, when I spotted a note on the table.
Dear, we went out to get some white paint at the store, we’ll be back soon. Thomas came along.
I looked up at the ceiling and saw the black marks again, and knew that why they were getting paint. Thomas probably had to come along so that he was under his watch, and not lighting the house on fire.
I paced around the kitchen opening cupboards in pursuit to find something to eat. Each one I opened I sighed in defeat.
We need food, I thought.
I looked outside and saw the newspaper sitting on the front steps. All I wondered was why the newspaper is still there, and not brought into the house. I opened the door and the humid air touched my face. I picked up the paper and unfolded it. I skimmed through the paper looking at the stories and pictures. I saw the headlines, some about a trial, and some about the war in Iraq. I skimmed through each section, through each story.
I stopped.
My finger landed on an ad, for help wanted in a music store. The ad stated:
Help Wanted cleaning and tending the customers and working the cash register. Come in and complete a résumé, then place it at the front counter. Only hiring ages 16 and up.
~ James Records & Music
I decided while reading this, that maybe I should give it a try. I could support myself and my family more with the extra money. Plus, I’ve always loved music, I dreamed of becoming a singer.
I heard something behind me, outside the window. I turned and was shocked to see a large crow resting on the windowsill over our sink. I looked at it, and noticed with detail the appearance this bird had. It had black glossy feathers that covered its entire body. His beak stretched out in front of his face, and his wings spanned a great distance for this type of bird. I realized it must be bigger than average.
I tapped the window, and it replied with a tap in the same spot. I was scared at first then slowly started tapping again, only twice this time. It replied with two taps. I stood in awe at this bird. I placed my hand on the glass, and the bird backed up and flew away spreading its large wings. Some leaves that were blown off of the tree from his taking off danced in the wind around his wings. He flew a great distance, and then he could no longer be seen from my human eyes.
I smiled at the thought of being master to this bird. This idea brought aback many memories of my past childhood pets. I remember my small, orange and white hamster. I recalled him always eating and was the size of a planet. This is where we came of the idea of naming him Mundo. I had to search my mind for a second in search for what Mundo meant. I shouted in victory as I found out Mundo meant world. He was the size of a whole world, and to me he was the world.
While I was thinking of past pets and names, the door handle from the kitchen door started to rattle. Soon my mother and dad, with young Thomas following behind walked through the door with two buckets of paint.
“What’s the reason for two buckets, to cover up small black marks?” I asked, I knew not even one would be needed to cover up the tiny markings scarred into our ceiling.
“One is white paint, and one is a maroon. Maroon is your brother’s favorite color, and decided he would like his room that color,” Replied my mother with a laugh, as she set down what looked to be bags of groceries on the marble counter.
“I honestly don’t think he earned the right to paint his room, so were making him paint the ceiling before we, and him paint his room,” said my father, who looked down at my brother, who then put his head down in embarrassment.
“Seems fair, I guess. Though I wasn’t here to see the full extent of the damage,” I replied. I took the news paper in my hands, and then tucked it under my shoulder.
“Mom,” I asked, “can I borrow the car?” I reached out my hands for the car keys.
“I don’t know dear, you just got your license. Are you sure you can drive?” She asked.
“Yes mom, it may have been six months since I’ve last driven, but it’s still fresh in my memory, unlike the memories before.” As I said this she dropped the keys into my hands.
I ran outside to the blue minivan my mom owned. I opened the driver seats door, and took a seat on the leather seat. I rubbed my hands along the steering wheel, and smiled. I then put the key into the ignition and it roared to life with one turn. I looked into the mirror and back up slowly out of my drive way.
The feel of wheels running under you felt amazing, almost like you were flying. I passed the old church, and a sign said, “Jesus Loves You” in bold red letters. I doubt he loves me, after everything that been happening. I’m sure self-mutilation is wrong in the eyes of God, but that’s not going to stop me from using that razor again if I need it. I turned the radio on, an unfamiliar band was playing, it was a cool beat but not really the type of music I’d listen to.
Suddenly the cell phone in my right pocket started to ring, it was mine before my accident.
“Hello?” I asked and turned the radio down.
“Hello? Is this Belle?” asked a females voice, she sounded surprised.
“Yeah? May I know who this is?” I asked.
“BELLE! It’s Samantha!” She screamed through the phone. I almost dropped my phone in surprise.
“HEY, I haven’t talked to you in forever!” I replied with more enthusiasm in my voice then when I answered it.
“Well, that wasn’t my fault. You were in the hospital.” She said dryly, and with no sympathy in her voice.
“Wow, well, sorry. I don’t remember why though” I said hurt.
“I’m sorry, ha-ha, well how is everything now?” She asked, again back to her normal high pitched laugh of a voice.
“Fine I guess, but I coul-“ I dropped the phone in my lap, as a cop car drove by. I was afraid he saw me. After everything was clear I picked up the phone again, “sorry I dropped my phone, I meant to say it could be better.”
“Oh, why what’s wrong?” She asked, but she didn’t sound so worried.
“Nothing, just some drama at home, hey I have to call you back. I’m going to apply for a job.” I asked as I pulled into the parking lot of the music store.
“Oh-bye,” She said and quickly hung up. She must have bi-polar disorder or something, being happy than mean. I only shook my head.
I walked up to the store, and was greeted by a man with thick rimmed glasses, and a green company shirt.
“Hi, My name is James, could I help you with anything.” He stood and smiled at me. I only stood in shock, and he looked puzzled. He started to talk again, but I surprised him with a hug.
“Oh, James! It’s been so long!” I yelled, and I felt like everything was back to normal with my arms around him.
♠ ♠ ♠
WOW. Sorry its been sosososo longg, since I've posted anything. Just haven't had the time to do anything, and a lack of motavation.
Hope you like the new chapter!