Status: Working on redoing part of this.

Oxers and Liverpools

Chapter Seven

Lillian stared out the window at the unfamiliar countryside of West Sussex as they drove past a couple of fields. She forced herself to continue watching the different buildings they passed, attempting to stay awake. She didn't get much sleep on the flight from Germany to England. It was now a necessary trip. Mr. Green was planning on going to several Warmblood Sales over the next week and Lillian was on the market for another jumper.

Zachary and Sam had stayed behind at Aachen. Sam was preparing Alcatraz and a few of their other horses for the flight back to Canada. Zachary was finishing up at the World Equestrian Festival with his students, although he would be remaining in Europe a bit longer as well. Lillian usually wanted her coach with her while looking at horses to buy, but they were tight for time. Had Alcatraz not been injured, Lillian would be flying back to Canada with her to prepare for the summer tournaments in Canada. Unfortunately now Lillian would have to find a new jumper in the next few days and become used to the new horse for the summer tournaments.

Lillian would have gone back home to prepare some of the horses on her family's breeding farm for the tournaments but there wasn't enough time. Their horses were simply too young to be competing at that stage yet and wouldn't be ready.

At last, the sign for Briar Lane Stables came into view. Mr. Green turned the rental care down the driveway that was lined with a stone hedge. The tall gates were open, welcoming visitors. Beyond the stone hedges were fields on either side of the driveway. Lillian's gaze landed on the massive barn ahead. The yard was very well kept with beautiful flower gardens lining the entrance of the barn. She could see that beyond the main barn was a large indoor arena that was connected with the barn. A mansion sat on the slight hill overlooking the barns.

"Wow," was all Lillian had to say as the car rolled to a stop. She was beginning to wonder why her father was bringing her here to look first. Surely these horses would be of top value and very expensive. She knew the Quinn family that owned this establishment were well respected riders in show jumping. She climbed out of the car after Mr. Green, who was already out and greeting a middle aged man.

Lillian knew she should pay more attention to the man, who introduced himself as Conner. Her gaze kept lingering around the yard, curious to see what was beyond the closed doors of the barn. She could see a rider out in the outdoor arena at the far end of the barn opposite to the indoor arena.

"I have a few horses that may be to your liking. A few of our horses are still at Chio for the festival, however," Conner led them towards the barn. He opened the barn, revealing a wide barn aisle and many stalls. The stalls were quite large and most were empty, although a few horses peered out between the bars curiously as they passed.

"This is Uppercut, he is an six year old Belgian Warmblood gelding," Conner introduced the first horse. The bay gelding was munching on hay in his stall and didn't look up from his hay manger. "If you wish to view show records or try them out just ask. Uppercut has great scope and was born here at Briar Lane."

Lillian stepped forward and peered into the stall. It was difficult seeing the horse when he wasn't facing them and his head was in the hay manger. She wasn't sure about his age; both her and Mr. Green agreed to look for a horse that has had some experience competing.

Conner continued to lead them through the barn to the other few horses they were selling. Lillian admired the horse's; they were obviously all well bred and taken care of. They reached the end of the barn where Conner led them outside. At the end of the barn they had a covered sitting area overlooking the outdoor arena.

"Out in the arena is one of our students, Jennelle, riding Aquino, who is also for sale. He is a nine year old KWPN stallion," Conner said as he took them down to the arena gate. Lillian watched the stallion with interest. Although the horse was across the arena, he didn't look that tall, unless his rider was very tall. His coat was a dark bay colour but what Lillian noticed was his high stepping action. His gait looked quite smooth, yet he carried his knees high, stretching his legs out as his rider rode towards them. Conner seemed to notice Lillian's sudden interest in the stallion.

"Jenn, take him over a few jumps when you're ready," he called out to the rider. The rider, who looked around Lillian's age, rode the stallion to their end of the ring so they could see him better. She took him through his gaits, and Lillian found herself liking the stallion the more she watched him. Jennelle finally took the stallion over a few small warm up jumps. Although the jumps were small, Lillian noticed how the stallion snapped his knees up to make sure he didn't touch them.

"Could I try him?" she asked Conner. Conner nodded and waved Jannelle over. It only took a few minutes to adjust the stirrups to her length once she was mounted. Lillian's first observations were correct; the stallion was only about sixteen hands, a few inches shorter than Alcatraz.

She buckled her helmet before starting around the arena at a walk. She gave him a bit of extra rein at first though the stallion began to collect. She took him through his gaits, doing some circles at the trot and canter and lead changes. The stallion was quite eager and almost seemed to read her mind when she asked for the cues. She took him over a few small jumps, finding herself liking this horse more and more as she rode him.

"Want me to raise them?" Jenn called over as she approached the warm up jumps. Lillian nodded, slowing Aquino to a trot as Jenn raised the jumps quite a bit. Lillian circled the stallion in front of the jump, letting him take a look at it before approaching it. She had to hold him back slightly to prevent him from rushing the jump but he jumped it easily. She took him over a few more jumps before slowing him down and taking him over to the fence.

"He's amazing," she said breathlessly as she dismounted, giving him a pat. Aquino shoved his nose at her pockets, searching for a treat. She scratched his head instead, glancing to her Conner. "Was he bred here?"

"No, he purchased in the Netherlands a few years ago. Theodore has been working with him and has competed with him quite a bit over the last year," Conner explained.

Lillian nodded, turning back to Mr. Green. Her father recognized her expression. He knew as well as her that this was the horse she wanted, but they weren't going to make a hasty decision.

"We are interested in buying Aquino, but do you mind if we think it over and get back to you perhaps later tonight?" Mr. Green asked Conner as Lillian exited the arena.

"Of course," Conner replied as he held the gate open for Jenn, who led the stallion through. "If you have any questions, just call."

Lillian thanked Conner for helping before following Mr. Green back to the car. They had a few more stops to make that day but Lillian was convinced Aquino would be the right horse for her.