Status: Working on redoing part of this.

Oxers and Liverpools

Chapter Eight

Lillian leaned up against the fence rail, resting her chin on her hand as she watched the dark bay stallion trot alongside the paddock fence. He tossed his head playfully before whinnying piercingly to the horses in the other paddocks. The stallion was quite energetic despite the long flight he'd taken to her family farm in Ontario from England. Lillian always liked coming back to her family's stable. It was somehow more relaxing, despite the clinics, shows or endless chores that happened there. She didn't have the same stress at home that she had when she was traveling to competitions.

Although the new stallion had great potential, Lillian was still unsure of taking the stallion to the summer tournaments at Spruce Meadows. She only had a couple of weeks to get to know the horse and to find out everything about him. What areas she needed to improve on, any of his little quirks she should know of. She was used to riding her own home bred mare, who she helped train herself. It was much different not knowing much about the stallion's previous training.

After returning home from Europe, a vet had come out to take a look at Alcatraz and Aquino. Unfortunately Alcatraz wouldn't be able to train for quite awhile. They were lucky to see the problem before it got worse, but it was still an injury that would take quite awhile to heal. Aquino's vet inspection passed clean. He had no previous health issues, as some papers indicated that came with him. He was well conditioned and ready to compete.

"Hey, Lily," Same called over as he pushed a wheelbarrow over to Aquino's pen. "I've just finished up here. Want to take him out for a hack? I need to work Maverick."

"Sure," Lillian replied eagerly, turning back to the pen. She had been giving the stallion some time off to recover from the trip and settle in, although she did start longing him every morning. "I'll be ready in a few."

Grabbing his leather halter, Lillian ducked between the white rails and called to the stallion. Aquino's head raised, his ears perked forward as he saw Lillian. He nickered softly, standing still as she approached. She haltered him and led him from the pen, heading for the main barn. Her family's farm, Iron River Stables wasn't nearly as impressive looking as the stable Aquino came from, but the stables had everything necessary for her to train. There was a twenty stall barn which contained the main tack room and also housed most of the stable's younger horses and some boarders. Close to the main barn stood a smaller, six stall barn where the stallions of the farm usually resided. On one side of the barn was the small indoor arena and on the other were many paddocks with shelters. Around the front of the barn was the large outdoor arena and along the driveway was the jumping field. A dirt track went around whole farm which was suitable for hacking the horses and cooling them out.

Lillian led Aquino back into the smaller barn where she spent a few minutes grooming him and picking out his hooves. It didn't take long for her to saddle him and lead him back out into the yard. It was another busy day at the stables. There weren't any lessons going on, but several students that boarded there were working their horses and the arenas were all being used.

Lillian tightened the girth before swinging up into the saddle. Aquino chomped on the bit eagerly, shifting sideways as his attention was drawn to a couple of mares in the paddocks nearby. She squeezed his sides, letting the stallion walk forward along the road past the barn. Outside the main barn she saw Sam mounting the tall chestnut Dutch Warmblood gelding, Maverick. He was one of the youngsters that was bred on the farm.

"Ready?" Lillian asked, halting Aquino nearby. The stallion stretched his head out, nostrils flared as he took in Maverick's scent. The young gelding stood quietly as Sam adjusted the stirrups to his length.

Lillian led the way onto the start of the track. Quite a ways along the track another girl was riding, although they were quite far away. She gave Aquino some rein, allowing the stallion to take a look around as they started walking around the track.

"How's the wedding planning going?" Lillian asked Sam, glancing to him as he rode alongside on Maverick. She wasn't sure how he could have time to plan a wedding when he was constantly traveling to competitions with them and was always busy with the horses.

"Great, as far as I know," Sam said with a laugh. "Gabby's been doing most of the planning. I don't think there's a lot we have to do right now, we don't even have a venue chosen. Are you coming with us to the National?"

Lillian hesitated at the sudden subject change. She wasn't sure if Aquino would be ready to fly out the next week for the National tournament at Spruce Meadows. Still, it would be a good opportunity to take him in some classes. Zachary would be taking some students and horses anyway, and she didn't want to stay behind.

"I'm probably coming," Lillian finally replied. "I don't want to miss the tournaments coming up."

Sam nodded. "He's a new horse, but I don't think you'll have any major problems with him. You just need to figure out any habits he has and get used to him."

A couple of horses in the paddocks next to the track ambled over, nickering to Aquino and Maverick. Aquino raised his head, watching them curiously and Lillian took up some of the slack in the reins.

"Want to trot?" she asked, glancing to Sam to see him nod. She urged Aquino forward into a trot, having to hold him back as the stallion suddenly lunged forward eagerly. He tossed his head, arching his neck as she held him back into a working trot. Maverick kept up easily, almost passing the stallion as he trotted calmly alongside. They took the horses around the track at a walk and trot to let them stretch their legs and for the stallion to get a better look around of the farm.