Last Years Wishes, Are This Years Apologies

Coastal Cities

(Jenna's POV)

I yawned and stretched my arms above my head. The alarm clock read eleven thirty pm. I rolled out of bed and walked into the hallway. The woodfloors were cold beneath my feet and the house was scary quiet. I peeked into my parents bedroom and saw my mother sleeping soundly. My father still wasn't home.

As I got to the last step I heard the front door open. I walked in the front hall way, and there was my father, stumbling in.

"Hi Dad," I said startling him.

He jumped and dropped his briefcase, "Oh honey. I didn't see you."

"Sorry, didn't mean to scare you. Where have you been?" I asked him.

"I was at...uh...work," he slurred.

I crossed my arms over my chest. I was pissed, he was clearly drunk. I mean, he's an adult he has every right to go out and get drunk. But why on the night that his own daughter comes home? "Oh. Ok. Well, I missed you. How have you been?" I asked, desperately trying to ignore that fact that he was drunk.

"I missed you too, honey. I've just been working alot and I've been busy," he loosened his tie and scratched his neck. "But I'm beat. I'm going to go sleep. We'll talk more tomorrow."

I nodded and he kissed my forehead. I was expecting him to walk upstairs to his bedroom. But I watched him stumble into his office and lie down on the loveseat.

I ran upstairs and quietly shut the door behind me. I wiped the now forming tears from my eyes and sat down on the bed. My dad had never been a drinker, since when did he start drinking? My parents were both acting strange. How much did I miss in the last four months?

I grabbed my phone off the side table and dialed Pete's number. It rang twice before Pete's voice boomed through the phone.

"Hey Jenna," he said
"Hi Pete, Are you busy?" I asked biting down on my lip.
"Nope. Not at all."
"Good. Pick me up at my house, please?"
"Of course, are you ok?" he asked.
I sniffled, "Yeah. But you remember where I live?"
"Yeah, up on the hill in Glenview."
"Right, See you in fifteen minutes?" I said.
"Ok, see ya."

I hung up the phone and grabbed jean shorts and a t-shirt from my suitcase. I changed and brushed out my hair. I slipped on my black flats and quietly made my way downstairs.

I tiptoed past the office where my dad was passed out. I opened up the front door and ran down the stairs. I walked down onto the sidewalk and started walking to the end of my street.

I needed to get away from that house. It wasn't my home. It was different. It was filled with secrets and lies. It held parents. Not my parents. They were different.

I reached the end of my road and a pair of headlights flashed right onto my face. I smiled and ran towards the passenger side door.