I've Still Got You, Darlin'.

Two/Two.

Two months later…

Sallie and Elaine have left Katrina and Charlie with Elaine’s husband at home while they go to the local pub. Sallie needs moral support to find someone of the male persuasion, and who is better to do that than her older sister?

The pub is a place where everyone goes on a Saturday night. There are three pool tables and long, rectangle windows. There are also bar stools everywhere and high tables. Several men are drinking beer from their pint glasses. It is a nice, comfortable atmosphere – one Sallie was always used to.

They sit down at the bar together and order two Jack Daniels.

“Oh, it feels good to be back. I’ve missed this place – and I’m so happy they’ve gone ‘Smoke-Free’ for me. I don’t have to go out on the cold,” she shivers and Elaine agrees with her.

They start chatting and catching up with the gossip on what happened throughout the week. Suddenly, Elaine loses focus of the conversation and makes an obvious excuse to go to the ladies’ room.

“Well, thanks for the support… You’re supposed to help me, you know,” Sallie mumbles and looks opposite the room to the men playing pool and drinking beer.

“Hi, I’m Alex,” a man with a familiar grin says enthusiastically, “what is your name?” He extends his hand out to her.

“Uh, hello. I mean, hi! I’m Sallie.” She takes a swig of her bottle and shakes his hand.

He sits next to her – not the side Elaine sat at, but the other. “How are you?” he asks.

“Alex, we’ve talked about me for six months. I don’t know a thing about you, so now it’s your turn to tell me about you.” She eggs him on. He touches her long brown curly hair, but it isn’t a creepy touch, it’s a nice one.

“Okay, well I’m a doctor at Maywell Hospital,” he laughs and she pushes his shoulder gently.

“But seriously, tell me something I don’t know.”

“I’m single.”

“Something real.” They each take another swig of their drinks and look at each other.

“What’s the rush?” he says. “We’ve got the rest of the night – and maybe even the rest of our lives.” And she smiles, because she is happy.
♠ ♠ ♠
377 words for this chapter.

I loved writing this, and thank you to my great friend, Seraphim, for beta-ing this. ILY <3