Picture Perfect

Pain, Give Yourself A Name

Image

My throat was in excruciating pain. My head was throbbing and my body was becoming weaker every day. I could hardly keep down a few sips of water, let alone enough to give me the nutrients I needed to go through my everyday life. Wisps of hair clung to my sweaty forehead and my hands shook frantically as I tried to wipe it off. Nick let my hair slide back onto my shoulders and handed me a cool washcloth to wipe off my face. I accepted it gratefully, slowly trying to piece myself back together.

"Feeling better?" He asked gently. I would've glared at him, but frankly, I didn't have the energy.

"Worse." Was all I said.

"Right." He answered, as if this should have been clear from the start. He scratched the back of his neck awkwardly.

"Look." I told him pointedly, making an effort to lift my head and look him straight in the eyes. I found my heart give a nervous little jump, but I figured I was just overrun with adrenaline. "I really appreciate everything you've done here. Really. But you can go home. I don't need a babysitter." Even to me that sounded harsh, but Nick didn't seem phased.

"Nope. I promised your mom I'd take care of you." As if to emphasize the statement he crossed his arms, clearly indicating he wasn't going anywhere.

I rolled my eyes and tried to push myself up with a hand on each wall. My body slid uselessly back to the floor before I could even get a solid foot planted on the ground. Sighing, I tried again to get a good grip on the two walls, but Nick was already sweeping me up into his arms. Despite my protests he carried me down the stairs and gently laid me on the couch.

"I had that." I told him, bitterly. He smiled.

"Right." Before I could make a comeback, I found myself drifting off to sleep and soon the world was going black.

~<3~

I woke up and the first thing I noticed was that it was dark out. I also noticed that Nick wasn't in the living room. I assumed he had gone home until I heard sounds coming from my kitchen.

"Nick?" I called hesitantly.

"Yeah!" Came the distant response muffled by the clang of pots and pans. He came into the room with a bowl of something that looked like it was steaming. He placed it on the coffee table in front of me and helped me ease myself into a sitting position.

"I made you some chicken and rice soup. I diluted it so it would be easier for you to keep down.''

"That's nice of you. Thanks." I was sort of astonished at the gesture. Part of me was curious as to why he was still here.

"So." I said, making conversation. Why haven't you left yet?"

"To be honest, your mom told me she had a business meeting a couple cities over. She told me that she wouldn't be back until Monday night and asked me to keep an eye on you." He confessed.

"And here I was thinking you were just a handsome knight taking care of your damsel in distress."

"Really? You...you think I'm handsome?" Nick asked me, blushing slightly. I laughed.

"Don't flatter yourself, Nick."

"Eat your soup." He said grumpily.

~<3~

I awoke the next morning with a dreaded that-first-day-of-school-after-a-long-break feeling, but about a hundred times worse. I mentally braced myself for the billion whoa-what-happeneds. I pictured the look on Jack's face when I told him what happened and how angry he would get after he realized I should've been in contact with him. I let out a sigh. This was going to be so much fun.

I got to school thanks to a ride from Nick, who had yet to leave, and hobbled my way to my locker. I unloaded the books I wouldn't need from my backpack and grabbed the ones I would need for first period. I took the time to organize the few items that were in there and straighten the pictures of Jack, J.C. and I. Maybe I was just lagging behind because I really wanted to get my initial confrontation with Jack over with.

"May?" Came familiar voice behind me. My face melted into a smile and I shut my locker to turn and face Jack. One look at his face and my grin vanished. He was furious. I could see it his eyes; a raging sea of fury behind a terrifyingly calm expression.

"I..I was going to call you I-"

"I'm DONE with your excuses, May."

"I'm sorry, I was-"

"Done!" Before I could even react, Jack's palm was at my face, leaving a mark that was more painful than my last injury had been. My jaw fell open and I was about to make a beeline out of there when I heard a a beautifully alleviating voice in the distance.

"Back off, asshole!" J.C. was at my side with a protective arm already around my shoulder, and I could do nothing but shrink into it. Although I couldn't hold back tears, not even for her sake, at least she was there to protect me. It was more than I could have asked for. Jack walked off, his anger practically leaving footprints on the ground.

"Sweetie." J.C. said sympathetically. She laid a cool hand on my stinging cheek and hugged me tightly. I sobbed into her shoulder. Jack had already crossed the line as far drinking when I asked him not to and telling me who I could or couldn't hang out with. But he was never the almost insane, over-protective boyfriend they portrayed in the movies that beat their girlfriends, sometimes even to death. I can honestly say I had no idea it was coming. Maybe that's what made the sting more painful than it should have been.
♠ ♠ ♠
There's a bruise on my middle finger the size of an almond.

What happened: I punched someone in the face and broke their nose, consequently getting an awful mark on my finger.

What really happened: I hit my hand on a stool as I was walking past it.