Status: Finished! Sequel? Maybe... I don't know!

One Step Forward and Two Steps Back

Everything Happens for a Reason

“You’re not yourself today. What’s wrong?” Travis asked, noticing that Lauren wasn’t performing at her full potential.

“I’m not feeling too good right now,” she responded.

“First your ankle, now you don’t fell good. What’s next? You can’t ride because of some health condition?” he teased. It took everything Lauren had to not look away from him.

“Ok, I flat out lied about the ankle. I’m just feeling a little queasy.”

Travis eyed her funny. Just by the way she said it, he knew something wasn’t right with her.

“Is it Mike?” he asked with his facial features still wrinkled from him thinking.

“No. I just don’t feel good,” she said as her eyes dropped from his.

“Maybe you should go see a doctor. I can’t remember the last time you were sick,” he said caringly as they left their bikes behind.

“I plan on it,” she simply said as Travis’s arm made its way around her shoulders.

She glanced up at him and smile, which was quickly returned. Out of habit, she laid her head against him and placed her arm around his waist. The sick feeling in her stomach seemed to grow the closer she was to him.

“Trav,” she started right before they reached the door. He looked down at her with a grin teasing across his face. “I think I’m going to go see my dad. I haven’t seen him since before X,” she went on.

“Do you want me to come with you?” he asked, causing Lauren to smile.

“No. It’s ok. I’ll be back in a few hours,” she said as she slowly turned to walk away.

She was stopped by Travis tugging on her arm gently. A smile danced across her face as she turned back around. She didn’t expect him to plant a kiss on her lips. It was short and sweet, but it was enough to leave Lauren wanting more.

“Why’d you have to do that?” she asked with a smile pushing its way through.

“I couldn’t control myself,” he grinned with his hands resting on her hips and hers behind his neck.

“Again?” she teased with a raised eyebrow.

“I thought you were going to your dad’s,” he countered.

“I was, but you rudely stopped me,” she went on as they two separated.

She walked towards her car backwards so to keep eye contact with Travis. Once she was about half way there, she flashed him one last smile before she spun around. She knew he was still watching her as she lowered herself into the vehicle and pulled away. Sighs escaped her as she continued her journey to her dad’s.

“There she is,” her dad greeted her before she was even out of her car.

“Hey, pops,” she smiled weakly as he pulled her into a tight hug.

“Uh ho. That look can’t be good,” he went on to say as they headed inside.

“A lot has happen since I’ve seen you. Oh my god, it’s been a month since I saw you last. I’m such a horrible daughter,” she said as she sat down at the kitchen table and laying her head down.

“Just give me a brief run down of what’s happened since you got back from California,” he went on as he sat down beside her.

“Luke came to visit. I swear him and Travis would have beaten the shit out of each other if I wasn’t there. Luke leaves, which was the best thing that could happen. I confess my love for Travis…”

About time. You two should have…” her dad started, but she soon cut him off.

“Oh no. There’s more,” she paused so she could take in a deep breath. “We don’t get together because… I don’t want to lose him if something goes wrong,” she paused again, taking time for things to soak back in. “We go to X Games. I meet Travis’s friend. We get together. I cheat on him with the best friend. The boyfriend and I break up. I get pregnant by the best friend. And now I think I want the best friend,” she said, trying to make everything as short as possible.

“Well… I guess a lot has happen,” her dad replied with a weak laugh.

“Just tell me I’m screwed,” she sighed, putting her head back down.

“No you’re not. You know Travis is going to stick beside you no matter what you do. Have you told him yet?” She didn’t even lift her head. All she did was shake it slightly. “That might be a good start.”

“I’m afraid to.”

“Why? You can’t hide it for that long.”

“What if he doesn’t want a kid? And my career. I’m like at the peak of my BMX career right now.”

“First off, if Travis did this, he’s going to have to want a kid. And secondly, how long have you been riding BMX? How many contests have you won? You’ve had a good go at it. You can always go back to it. Looks like it’s time to be a mom, Lauren,” he said, giving a new meaning to tough love.

“This wasn’t supposed to happen,” she said bringing her head up to her hands.

“Well, it did. No one’s to blame except for you and him.”

Lauren let his words hang in the air for a few minutes. She could come up with another person that could be blamed, but wouldn’t say it to her dad. If a certain someone had just came to the party, she probably wouldn’t be in this predicament.

“I think you should go back and tell him. The sooner you do it, the less it will sting for both of you,” he said while cupping his big hand over her shoulder.

“I have a doctor's appointment to go to in the morning. I should get going,” she said as she stood up.

“Why don’t you have him go with you?” he suggested while standing up also.

“I’ll consider it. Dad, I never thought I would ever be in this situation. It’s kind of hard for me to handle. I mean I love the guy, but I never wanted to have a baby with him… yet,” she said as a few tears fell from her eyes.

“Remember everything happens for a reason,” he said while pulling her into him for comfort.

“I’m having a hard time believing that right now,” she huffed as she pulled away and rubbed her eyes.

“Just take care of yourself… and my little grandbaby,” he smiled as he followed Lauren to her car.

“I’ll do what I can,” she sighed, getting into her vehicle.

He frowned at her as she started the car. They said they’re goodbyes and then Lauren was back on the rode. So many thoughts were going through her head. They all seemed to revolve around one person: Travis. Once she finally made it back, she was nervous to see him. It was late and the house seemed dim. She prayed that he was in bed. Turns out she couldn’t get that lucky.

“Everything go well with your dad?” he asked from the couch that he was sprawled out on.

“I guess. I just can’t think. Everything’s all fucked up with me right now,” she stated as she sat on the middle of the couch so she was sitting in front of Travis’s torso. His arm went around her waist as hers found his back.

“You’ll bounce back. Just a little set back in the world of Lauren Payton,” he smiled.

She smiled back weakly before dropping her eyes from his.

“I have a doctor’s appointment early tomorrow. I should really get to bed,” shefaked a yawn as she stood up.

“Are you going to be ok in that big empty room all by yourself?” Travis teased as the two started up the stairs.

“I think I got it, Trav,”she lied.

“No, I insist you come enjoy the comfort of my bed that I only take half of,” he grinned once they reached the top.

She eyed him funny before giving in. His eyes always have had a way of doing that to her. They both took turns changing into their nightclothes before they settled into his bed. Without even thinking, Lauren cuddled up to him and let out a blissful sigh as her eyes slowly closed.

“Do you want company at the doctor’s tomorrow?” he asked in an almost whisper, causing her eyes to fling open.

“No. I’ll be ok,” she said a little too quickly.

He just looked down at her with a frown. She looked away before her eyes could work their magic on her again. Without saying another word, Lauren went to sleep thinking that she had triumphed. Little did she know that Travis had other plans.
♠ ♠ ♠
Lauren

Will Travis find out before Lauren can tell him? lol

comment?