‹ Prequel: All It Takes

What It Takes

The Lying Side

Madison

I was losing my mind. This dinner was going to be the death of me. My mother had given me a recipe for roast beef but I’m pretty sure I was screwing it up somehow. It was not supposed to look like this. I sighed and shoved it in the oven. I leaned back against the counter and shut my eyes.

I didn’t know where Peyton went. It didn’t take an hour to pick the dog up from the groomer. I sighed and pulled some plates out of the cabinet to set the table. Peyton was still very mad at me. I didn’t think it was such a big deal to tell people that are already friends with Chuck. Through a huge stroke of luck, Chuck agreed with me. I placed the napkins down next to the plates.

Unfortunately I had to make this huge dinner and please his parents with proper etiquette. The forks were next to go down and I was unsure of what side to put them on. I just put them on the right and hoped that was correct. I sighed and pushed my fingers against my temple, gently massaging it.

“The forks are on the wrong side,” I heard and I looked up. Chuck was standing there with a bag in his hand. “I’m going to stay over Dave’s so I’m not in the way or anything.” I nodded and moved to put the forks on the left. “You’re a life saver. You really don’t have to leave though,” I said. He laughed. “Trust me, when Peyt’s parents are around, I really don’t want to be near them.”

“Thanks a lot,” I said, and he smiled. There was the sound of a car honking outside. “Well, good luck,” he said, turning around to leave. “I’ll need it,” I said, and he just laughed. As soon as the door was shut, I finished setting the table in the correct manner. I glanced at the time and ran upstairs really quick to get dressed. I was wearing a dress and heels because I figured it would be formal.

The door opened downstairs and I heard the jingling of Bear’s collar. I rushed down the stairs, almost tripping over the heels. Peyton walked in with him and I rolled my eyes. “Why’d you take so long? I need you to get dressed and then clear the living room up, okay?” I didn’t wait for a response, only rushed Bear into the back room where his bed was. I took his collar off and hung it on the hook. “You be a good boy and stay,” I said to him.

The old dog watched me with a bored expression on his face. “Don’t look at me like that,” I ran my hand over his head, “You’re so soft baby. Yes you are, and you smell so pretty.” I was cooing and aw-ing like he was a baby. “If you stay, I’ll give you leftovers, okay?” The dog lay down so I took that as a yes.

Back in the kitchen, I started making mashed potatoes and corn. I was nervous that all this food would taste horrible or something. Peyton came in and looked in the pots as I leaned against the counter and picked my nails. “It smells good,” he said, kissing my cheek, “Sorry I took so long. There was a long line at the place and some traffic on the highway.” I nodded.

“Can you just make sure the living room is presentable?” He nodded and left. I watched him scope out the room though. He was wearing black jeans and a black v-neck that lay nicely on his pale skin. His hair was straight, as usual, and hanging in his face as he picked something up. I averted my eyes when he looked over to me. The doorbell rang and I looked up at him.

We watched each other for a moment. “Get the door,” I said. “No, you get the door.” The bell rang again and I sighed in defeat and went to go get the door. Adam and Lisa stood on the other side. They looked as if they just walked out of a magazine. “Hello, Adam. Lisa,” I acknowledged, stepping aside and letting them in. “Hello, Madison. How are you?” Lisa asked. “Fine and you?” I answered curtly, shutting the door behind them.

Lisa laughed a tinkling laugh that was distinctly fake. “Oh, we’re very well dear,” she said. I brought them into the living room where they sat down after hugging Peyton. I stood there awkwardly as Adam asked Peyton about school and if he was doing any sports. The timer went off in the kitchen and I was thankful. “Do you need any help in the kitchen Madison?” Lisa asked me.

I shook my head. “No, that’s okay. Thank you,” I said politely and I walked into the kitchen. I pulled the meat out of the oven and let it sit. My mother taught me enough to know that it had to sit for a little while. I stirred the potatoes and took the corn off. “So have you seen Sara lately?” I heard Lisa ask. I puckered my lips and moved closer, crouching down to stay out of sight.

“Of course I’ve seen her. I see her everyday at school,” he lied. I shook my head and sighed. “Really? Because I heard she was in the hospital,” Lisa said. It was completely quiet. I reached up and grabbed a fork and banged it against the counter two times so it wouldn’t seem like I was listening. “Well,” he said, and then stopped. I shuffled my way backwards and stood, going towards the meat.

“I also heard that you were the general reason she was in there too. Are you messing around behind your wife’s back?” she asked venomously. I turned in time to see her glare at Adam. Oh, that was a low blow. “Of course I’m not! That’s a very long story that is absolutely none of your business,” Peyton said. I took the knife and started slicing the meat.

“You’re my son, it’s obviously my business.” I cut it faster, trying to get it done as quickly as possible. I was done, finally, trying to make the odd tension leave. “Your mother only wants to know what’s going on with you,” Adam said. “Maybe she shouldn’t be so pushy and sneaky,” Peyton replied. I shoveled the potatoes into a serving dish, doing likewise with the corn.

I carried them into the dining room and placed them on the table before going quickly back into the kitchen. I put the meat on a plate and brought that in next. I was basically running back to the kitchen and I slipped almost falling. I was launched forward by my momentum to the doorway and clung to the side of it. “Dinner’s ready,” I said, and they all looked up.

As they headed towards the dining room I got some water and poured it in their glasses. “I hope you like all this,” I said, sitting down across from Peyton. I waited for their next move, which was to take some food. This was one of the most stressful dinners of my life.

We ate silently for awhile. “Have you thought about painting at all?” Lisa asked, gesturing her arm around the room. I looked around the room. “Not very much, no. I like this color,” I said, smiling at her. “Well, it’s a bit bland so you should think about making it a little more modern.” I rolled my eyes, and looked away down the table at Adam.

“So, how’re you two doing?” Adam asked. I looked from him to Peyton who shrugged slightly. “Fine.” His tight-lipped answer had me worried about a potential fight. Fine, I questioned in my head. The word never seemed so dull or menacing. “Fine?” Lisa asked. I l0oked down at my empty plate and swirled around water in my glass.

“Yeah mom, fine. I didn’t know you were going deaf,” Peyton said venomously. “Peyton,” his dad warned and he shrank back in his seat. “We only want to know how you two are coming along,” she added, and I scoffed. Attention was on me now and I smiled sheepishly. “All I meant was, how would you know? I mean, this is an arranged marriage and not very,” I struggled to find a word, “typical.”

I watched as Lisa’s perfectly made up mouth as it tightened. Her lips were pursed. The light blonde hair that she had fell in delicate curves to her shoulders. “Not very typical at all,” she mumbled, and I raised an eyebrow at that. “They should know Lisa,” Adam said suddenly, causing me to look at him. His expression was blank yet intense in some way.

“No.” He nodded tightly, his lips a thin line. She sighed and tapped her nails against the table. “Maybe it’s a conversation to have over dessert?” I suggested, standing up and taking my plate with me. Peyton brought his into the kitchen also. We looked at each other with wide eyes and went back to get rid of all the other plates and extra food. I was anxious to hear what they had to tell.

“What do you think they’re gonna say?” Peyton whispered. I shrugged and handed him plates, forks, and spoons. I got the cheesecake and brought it in, the crème color standing out against the maroon table cloth. I sat down and on the other side of the table, Peyton did the same. “Would you like me to tell the story?” Adam asked and Lisa shook her head.

“It wasn’t completely random that we decided to have you two arranged,” she said, and took a deep breath, “There was a very solid reason for it.” I breathed in and tried to keep my heart rate even. She didn’t look at anyone, just straight ahead. “When Madison’s parents came asking for a loan, I knew that they had a daughter the same age as you, Peyton. I asked them to sign and they said no. Then I made it seem great and I told them what it would be like.”

“Of course, we had to do it to their terms, mostly. Eventually they signed. It took a while for them to agree but we both,” she smiled kindly at her husband, “reassured them.” I cleared my throat. “How exactly did you do that?” I asked. She laughed. “With a little extra money and some, personal experiences.”

“What Lisa is trying to say is, that we were in an arranged marriage,” Adam said, and my jaw hit the floor. “Then why would you do that to us?” Peyton asked shrilly, “You know what it’s like!” Lisa rolled her eyes. “Which is exactly why we did it. We knew she’d get a decent upbringing and that you’d have a companion,” she said. I didn’t say anything. I couldn’t really say anything.

Tears brimmed up in my eyes. All I could hear was Lisa laughing and saying, with a little extra money. Peyton watched me cautiously. “Madi, are you okay?” he asked. I shook my head and got up from the table, running back into the kitchen. I could barely even stand it and just went up to my room.

I never really thought about how my parents had been roped into agreeing. I always thought it was different then this. Then again, I never really thought about it actually. It was cruel though, that Lisa and Adam pushed this upon their son because of some bitter grudge. All I could do was sit on my bed and wipe the tears before they came crashing down my face.

I sat there, silently contemplating my life for quite a while. Eventually I heard footsteps coming up the stairs, slowly and unwillingly. I sniffled and looked away, hugging myself. “Madison?” I heard from the door. “What?” I answered sullenly. He crossed the room and engulfed me in a hug.

It was a sweet gesture, but quite unwanted. It was nice though, to have someone to hold me when I felt horrible. I held onto him and cried a little bit, getting some of my frustration out. It wasn’t the same. Every other time I cried into Peyton, I felt relieved and happy. Now I just felt empty and still upset.

“Everything will look better in the morning, right?” I asked, getting up and moving towards my closet to get pajamas. “I suppose so.” I changed quickly and then went into the bathroom to take off my makeup. I tried not to think, focusing on myself in the mirror. The TV was on quietly when I came out of the bathroom.

“I think I’m just going to go to bed and clean up tomorrow,” I said, pushing the covers back. He chuckled. “I’ll clean up for you. You made the meal and it was good if I do say so myself,” he said, patting his stomach. I rolled my eyes and giggled. He kissed my cheek and smiled down at me, his hair falling in his eyes.

“I love you,” I said. “I love you more,” he said. And in that instant I could have sworn we both just lied.
♠ ♠ ♠
wow, sorry this took so long. heh.
uhm, not much left to this story.

please tell me what you think of this chapter. especially the last line.
and yeah, that's about it.