‹ Prequel: All It Takes

What It Takes

The Virginal Side

Madison

“I really don’t know what to get Dave,” Jen whined and we all rolled our eyes simultaneously. Sara sighed, twisting her newly dyed hair around her finger. “Get him a t-shirt or some new Chucks or something,” she said and I nodded. “Get him something simple,” Katelyn added and she threw back a French fry.

This whole day was becoming fun. I bought Will, Katelyn, and Chuck presents so far. I was nowhere near done but the bags were still surrounding the four of us. “I want it to be something he’ll remember me by,” she said and I scoffed. “Are you going somewhere? You two are constantly attached by the lips, how could he forget?” She fake glared at me before laughing.

“Get him a t-shirt. He’ll remember you every time he puts it on,” Katelyn said and she shrugged. “I guess I’m just going to do that,” she said. “So Madi, what are you getting for Peyton?” Sara asked and I shook my head. “Lord only knows. Will said he was going big on me, whatever the fuck that means,” I said, sighing. Jen nonchalantly took a sip of her juice, looking anywhere but at me.

“You know what it is you skinny little bitch!” I accused. She looked around and then pointed at herself. “Me?” I gave her the look that said everything. “No the plant behind you. What is it?” I asked, leaning forward excitedly. She sighed. “It’s expensive. That is all I’m saying,” she said, leaning back and putting her hands up.

“Ex-boyfriend at one o’clock,” Sara alerted and we all glanced at her one o’clock. Sure enough, Andrew Stevens was casually strolling towards us, a slight frown on hisamazingly beautiful face. “Hey guys. Fancy seeing you here,” he said taking a seat next to Sara. She was being surprisingly normal for someone recently diagnosed with bipolar depression but I was still glad.

I wanted her and Peyton to be happy around each other. “So um, you’re Sara right?” he asked and she leaned away from him quickly. “Eh, yes?” she said and he smiled. “You’re cute,” he said bluntly and Katelyn grinned. Sara was beet red and looking down at her lap. “Th-thanks,” she stuttered. It was so unbelievably cute. “I’ll see you around then,” he said, standing up and waving goodbye.

We all looked over to Jen, who was smiling, thank God. “Well that was cute,” she said. Sara shrugged. “I guess so. He’s not really my type though,” she said meekly, dipping a fry in ketchup. “Good because if you ever dated him I would be obligated to beat the shit out of you,” Jen said, letting out a pent up breath. We all giggled nervously, aware of just how serious she was.

“To the emergency on hand!” I said loudly, “What should I get for Peyt?” There was a loud groan. “I don’t know. Just buy him something.” I sighed. These people didn’t even care that whatever I bought had to be great and amazing or anything. I knew what I absolutely had to do though. “Since you all care so much,” I started sarcastically, “I’m going to go look for myself, okay?” Without waiting for a response, I got up with my bags and left.

I kind of just walked. I didn’t pay attention to where I was going, I let my feet lead me. And they led me to the Apple Store. I smiled at the store before walking in and immersing myself in electronics. A young guy in khaki’s and a blue button-down came over to me. “Hi, I’m Justin. Are you interested in anything?” he asked politely, slightly raping me with his eyes.

“Yes, actually. I want to buy an iPod Touch for my boyfriend,” I said, and his eyes stopped, meeting mine. “Okay, I’ll take you through the details,” he said, gesturing at the displays. “This one is a four gig. It’s the—” I cut him off. “I don’t really care about the details. I just want to buy it. He can figure it out himself.” Justin just brought me to the counter and got one from the back. I waited patiently until he gave it to me and I paid with my mom’s card, which she so generously let me use for the day.

I didn’t know what to do now. I never had this much freedom to be by myself. Unfortunately my feeling of self-entitlement was cut short when I saw my friends walking towards me, waving. I smiled and held up the metallic silver bag. “Ipod,” I said when they got closer. “Isn’t his family rich?” Katelyn asked, confused. I laughed loudly. “That’s why his family is rich, they’re stingy. He has an iPod, not an iPod touch,” I said slyly, winking at them.

“I’m sure he’d rather touch you,” Jen said, wiggling her eyebrows suggestively. I felt myself flush as they all laughed. “Shut up,” I mumbled, walking towards the end of the mall where our cars were parked. “What? Is the little virgin upset?” Jen asked loudly. I turned around with my hands on my hips. “Whoever said I was the v-word?” I asked tightly, an eyebrow raised.

She gave me that distinct look that made me want to slap her. “Yeah, you and Peyton really did then?” she accused. I shook my head. “Maybe it wasn’t Peyton,” I said, turning around and walking again. My virginity—or lack of it—wasn’t something I liked talking about. Currently, Will was the only one that knew anything about that; the only one for a reason. Jen caught up with me though, as did the rest of the small group.

“Well who then? Jason?” she asked obnoxiously. I rolled my eyes. “You’re being obnoxious and pushy,” I reminded her and she just sighed. “I think this is something you would generally tell your best friend,” she imposed. “Not when your best friend is you,” I shot back, glaring over at her. She pouted and fell silent. I watched the ground in front of me as we continued walking.

“That was a little harsh Madi,” Katelyn said quietly. “It’s my business, not hers. Whatever,” I huffed, leaving the mall. “Sara, I’ll take you home. Jen can just go with Katelyn,” I said, and she nodded. We said our good-byes, which were slightly awkward and went to find my car. Sara was quiet, but she walked in place beside me. I was walking quickly, mostly because I was angry.

It was silent in the car too. I almost wanted to turn on the radio but I knew Sara and I had completely different music taste. “You can talk about it. If you want to,” she said, and I looked over at her real quick. “You understand where I’m coming from though? I just don’t want everyone knowing my business.” I saw her nod from the corner of my eye. “It wasn’t even a big deal. I wanted to get it over with, he wanted to get it over with and it was whatever.”

She was quiet for a minute. “It was Will, wasn’t it?” she said meekly. I didn’t look at her. “I realize now just how fucked up it was. I shouldn’t have done it,” I admitted, stopping at the light in front of me. “It takes two to tango Madi,” she said and I giggled. “You can see why I don’t want people to know? It isn’t embarrassing because of who it is, just, well you can see the reason, right?”

“Yeah. You don’t have to tell people your personal business like that. That would be like me and Dave doing something,” she said and my eyes flashed for a second. I pulled into her driveway and she smiled. “Thanks for including me, it was very nice of you,” she said, opening the door and stepping out. “No problem,” I said. “And don’t worry, I won’t tell anyone. I promise,” she said smiling again.

She slammed the door and I drove away quickly. I had so much to think about now. I was nervous that I told Sara, and that the whole conversation came up period. I rushed home, excited to take a nice bath to calm my nerves. I hurried into the house, after hiding the iPod bag in one of my clothing bags. “Babe?” I heard Peyton call from the living room. “Yeah Peyt?” I asked, poking my head around the corner.

“How was it?” he asked and I shrugged. “It was okay,” I said. “I have to talk to you about something,” he said. I bit my lip. “Let me just put these upstairs,” I said, holding up the bags. He nodded and sat down. I ran up the stairs and put the bags in my room. I hid the iPod in between my side of the bed and the wall before rushing down the stairs into the room. I sat down in the chair opposite him and he turned off the TV. “You wanted to talk to me?” I ask nervously.

At this point I was hiding so many things from him. I didn’t even know what I was getting questioned about. “It’s a bit awkward,” he said and I bit my lip again. I felt my heart beating faster and faster. I had no idea what this was about. He pressed his lips into a very thin line before asking:

“Are you a virgin?”
♠ ♠ ♠
Oh hot damn, who saw that one coming, eh?

I realize that last time my meager three comments were deserved. However, if you would all be so kind as to leave me one this time, I would be forever grateful.