‹ Prequel: All It Takes

What It Takes

The Best Side Of All

Madison

“If I’m a bad person, you don’t like me. I guess I’ll find my own way. It’s a circle I mean cycle. Shit, Bear, get off my bed,” I said, stopping my awful singing to shoo the animal away. He looked at me insolently before grunting and jumping off the bed. I put the last of my folded clothes away and looked at my newly clean bedroom. “Madison, lunch!” I heard my mother call.

I turned my iPod off and went downstairs to the kitchen. “I made macaroni and cheese,” my mom said, pouring the orange stuff into a bowl. I smiled at her. My mom was staying home more now. Our relationship was still weird but we were working on it. I sat down at the dining room table and ate quickly. My mom sat across from me with her own food.

“So we’re leaving for vacation in a week,” she reminded me. I looked up, startled. It was already the middle of July. “Katelyn is still coming, right?” she asked. “Yeah, she is. I’m excited to go with her,” I said and she nodded. “She’s become a wonderful person,” my mom said before burying herself in an organization magazine. I finished eating quickly and excused myself.

I had decided to take up football cheerleading. It was harder than I imagined. Despite changing immensely in the past six months, I still bit off more than I could chew. I laid a yoga mat out in my room and started stretching myself. I almost had my split and I needed it for when I got back from vacation. Katelyn and I needed to be prepared.

My phone buzzed loudly on my bed. I sighed, counting out the last of my twenty counts in my right split. It was oddly serene, stretching. I bounced up when I got to twenty and dived onto my bed. I had a text from Will.

I left my ipod in your spot. get it for me?

I let out an aggravated groan. I typed a quick reply and went over to my closet. I pulled off my short shorts and danced my way into tight skinny jeans. I had taken to wearing them more often then not. Only one of the multiple ways I had changed. I left my plain white t-shirt on and tied my hair into a high ponytail.

“Ma! Will left his iPod in the park and I have to get it,” I said. She poked her head out of the kitchen as I bounced down the steps. She smirked before smiling and nodding her head. “What’s got you?” I asked, shoving my phone in my pocket. She looked at me. “Oh, nothing.” I raised an eyebrow but dropped it and headed towards the door.

It was a beautiful day; one of those days right out of the wallpaper of a Windows PC. The sky was a stunning blue, with just the right amount of clouds rolling by. I stopped on my porch and breathed in deep, wiggling my bare toes before continuing. I waved to George, forever outside. “You have enough holes in those jeans?” he called and I shook my head, grinning.

It was true, I thought as I walked along, There were many holes in these jeans. Both knees were ripped completely open and small holes on the thighs and shins. I loved it.

I looked at the small park that was filled with kids from my neighborhood. I waved to Chris and Eddie, who were playing basketball. My eyes skipped to the swing that I frequented.

It reminded me of him. It reminded me of his hair and his eyes and his unbearably minty breath. It reminded me of how pale he was. It reminded me of his laugh. It reminded me of how funny he was and caring and smart. It reminded me of everything I wanted to remember.

It reminded me of everything I let go.

I had come to terms with what I had done long ago. I had made a really big mistake. I embraced the mistake. I laughed at it in its face. Hell, my whole life changed around the mistake. Mistakes were meant to be made. And I came to terms with that.

I wanted to be with Peyton. I wanted to hold him and love him and kiss him. I wanted to brush his hair out of his brilliant blue eyes and trace his lips. I wanted to laugh at his jokes and take his advice. I came to terms with the fact that I never would.

Yeah, the swing made me think a lot.

I giggled at my philosophies. When I disappeared from the sight of the people in the park, I did a cartwheel. Then I did it again. I stepped on a rock and it hurt my feet. I didn’t wear shoes a lot now that it was summer. They restrained me. They made my feet ache to be out.

It was a small valley that was uneven. A large pile of mulch on the other side. There was a small stream. It wasn’t babbling at all. Actually it was low tide, if you could call it a tide, and you could see the small rocks at the bottom. There was a large rock, big enough for two people to sit on, jutting out over the stream. There were trees all around us with little sun coming through the top. There were ferns but no flowers. The breeze blew through them and chipmunks ran away from my steps.

I stepped cautiously to the bottom, trying not to hurt my feet. I looked down at the stream and sighed. There was a small movement in the corner of my eye. I looked up, eyes wide, at the source. The boy was watching me but not in a creepy way. In a way that made my heart flutter.
Six months was a long time to not see someone. Even longer to not speak with them. And then I realized that he was there. I didn’t know why. My heart jumped and I bit my lip as our eyes met. He lifted his arm, smirking. I saw Will’s iPod in his hand. I breathed in.

“Hey,” I said lamely, “So Will’s iPod…” I balanced on the rocks and teetered over to the other side of the small valley. He was watching me, a small smile on his lips. I walked through the tall weeds and sat next to him on the rock. He watched me still, his arms wrapped around his knees and his hair forever in his eyes.

He handed me the small device and I gripped it tightly, grinning like a fool. “It’s really good to see you,” I said and he smiled. “It’s really great actually,” he said. I looked down at my lap. “So, uhm, how have you been?” I asked quietly. I saw him shrug in the corner of my eye. “Okay. You?”

I looked at him. “Pretty void of emotion,” I answered truthfully. He chuckled. “Are you visiting or what?” I asked, not harshly just as a question. “No, I’m moving back,” he said, looking up at the trees and scrunching his nose. I didn’t say anything. He looked at me.

“Does that upset you?” he asked. This was awkward. I smiled and shook my head. “No, it makes me pretty happy,” I said lightly. He smiled, “why?” I looked over at him and blinked.

“Because I still love you.”

The smile on his face amused me. “I love you more,” he said, bumping my shoulder. I rolled my eyes and laughed loudly. “You do not,” I protested. He rolled his eyes and snorted. “So that’s it?” I asked. “What’s it?”

“We’re just moving on. You’re forgiving me for all the shit I did,” I said bluntly. “You forgave me for all the shit I did.” He had a point. “I’m glad you’re back Peyt,” I said quietly. “I’m glad you’re sitting here with me on this fine summer day,” he said. I looked over at him, hyper aware of just how close he was to me. His eyes were on my lips and my eyes were on his eyes looking at my lips. Then I looked at his lips.

And I completely remembered everything that ever happened between us.

And when I kissed him it was blissful and it was right. The sweetest kiss I had ever encountered. His thumb carressed my cheek gently. I pushed myself into him, savoring every moment.

“I guess it was successful then,” I heard Dave say. I pulled back, staring into Peyton’s eyes. “Clearly. They’re already sucking face,” Jen said. I glared over at her, too happy to really be mad. Dave and Jen stood there, connected by the hands. The two were forever together and you never saw one without the other.

“Shut up. No couple in the world could be as sickeningly sweet as you two bumbling idiots.” They rolled their eyes and I turned back to Peyton smiling. He was flipping his hair out of his eyes. Will was already materializing behind the couple with Sara and Chuck. “Ah, the happy couple reunited.”

Peyton cleared his throat. I looked at him and his eyes were downcast. “Madison, uh,” he said, his cheeks pink, “Would you be my girlfriend?” My heart fluttered. Amongst the chorus of coo’s from our friends, I smiled and told him that I would.

It was the best feeling in the world.
♠ ♠ ♠
Oh my God. It's over.
Before my waterworks start, thank you. So fucking much. I love all of you. Honestly I do.
So, as always, comment. Comment, even if you never have before.

And, if you're interested in more original fiction, subscribe.

Please subscribe because I don't want to lose my wonderful readers. I love you guys so much. Thank you.