‹ Prequel: All It Takes

What It Takes

The Better And Worse Side

Peyton

Three days, fifteen and a half hours. That’s how long Madison has been ‘dating’ Jason. And it sucks. It’s slowly killing me inside, watching her hug him and hold hands with him. It makes me want to vomit and try to fight him again because he’s such a douche. I could barely bite my tongue when they were around, and they were always around, whenever he could find me.

The school was in an uproar. No one had seen anything like this apparently. Not only that, but nobody knew how to treat us. Everyone spoke to us when Madison was ‘with’ me. Now, there was this awkward half-smile thing that was even worse. I’d rather have them throw me in a garbage can. “Are you even listening Peyt?” Dave asked me, waving a hand in front of my face. I snapped out of it and looked up at him. “Sorry,” I smiled sheepishly, “What did you say?” He rolled his eyes and smiled, shaking his head.

“I was talking about that Jen girl. She’s really amazing at what she does. I have like ten missed calls from Sara. She’s really funny too. Jen, not Sara. She says I’m not confident enough so we’re going to the mall later to practice,” he said. I smiled at him and knit my eyebrows together. “It kind of sounds like you like the chick,” I said, and he shook his head. “No way, man. She kind of scares me,” he said sitting on the couch in front of the TV.

“Whatever you say Dave.” I followed him and sat down. He definitely liked Jen. I haven’t seen him like this for a long time. Everything he said was about Jen, and I knew he played it off as it was pertaining to Sara, but whether he knew it or not, he liked her. For a little while we played Call of Duty but we got tired of it easily. The door opened to Madison shouting. “No, you idiot. I won’t fucking think about it!” She slammed the door shut and stomped into the living room, fuming. She was muttering under his breath but stopped as soon as she saw us watching.

“Oh. Hey Dave,” she greeted placing her bag down. She turned to me. “Hey babe. How was your day?” she said and I felt my jaw completely drop. Babe? Dave looked at me with an incredulous look on his face. Sure, Madi had let me sleep in the bed and eat meals with her but, babe, was she in her right mind? “Did you just call Peyton babe?” Dave asked slowly. She rolled her eyes. “What, you too? I can’t even call my own husband babe, God help me!” she screamed, pouting.

I stood up quickly and cast a dark look at Dave. I pulled her into a hug and she hugged me back gently. “It’s okay. It just shocked us a little bit,” I said, trying to choose my words carefully. “Thanks for reminding me that I’m such a bitch,” she said as she pulled away. I knew by now that when Madison was in a bad mood, you left her alone. “I have to do my homework,” she announced, grabbing her bag and rushing up the stairs.

I turned slowly to Dave. “Was that weird or what?” I asked and he nodded. “Good luck with that.” I rolled my eyes and pushed my hair out of my eyes. The doorbell rang and I went to get the door but Madison beat me to it. “Hey Jen! I have something to tell you!” she said and Jen shook her head. “No, I’m here for Dave. We’re going to the mall,” she said, looking for Dave in the house. “Oh, well, uh,” Madison stuttered. Dave bounced up to the door.

“Hi Jen,” he said and they left, saying goodbye quickly. Madi looked at me. “Do they…?” I smirked. “Like each other? I’m pretty positive,” I answered and she rolled her eyes and giggled. All the same, her smile dropped and she turned to go up the stairs again. I heard the door close and the lock click. I sighed and turned to get my things. I had a research paper I needed to write anyway.

Dave

“I am not going up to her. Do you see all her friends?” I exclaimed, vaguely pointing over to the group of girls Jen wanted me to approach. She sighed and rolled her eyes. “Look Dave,” she said, finally using my first name, “Those girls are ten times prettier than Sara is, no offense. If you can get them to even look at you, which they’re doing now, then you’re in luck.”

I went to turn and see if they were actually looking, but remembered not to and turned fully back to Jen. “You’re finally learning,” she said, smiling widely at me. I couldn’t help but smile back. She had these wide, aquamarine eyes that had a childlike innocence to them. “What do I say?” I asked and she looked at me thoughtfully.

“Just go up and say, ‘hey, I like your shirt.’ That gory shit on the front looks like you’d be into it,” she said and I rolled my eyes,even though she was probably right. “Now go,” she said, turning me around and pushing me slightly. I started walking towards the girl with the gory shirt. I recognized it as a Bring Me The Horizon shirt. Jen was right. Within a second everyone in her group was quietly watching.

I stood right in front of her and smiled. “Hey, I like your shirt,” I said simply and she beamed back at me. “Thanks! I’m Brooke,” she said, shifting her weight from foot to foot. “I’m Dave,” I said, unsure of where this was going. “Well, Dave, you’re kind of cute,” she said, flipping her colorful hair back. There were giggles among her friends. I chuckled too, and winked. “You’re not so bad yourself,” I admitted honestly. She was a lot prettier than Sara.

She took a marker out of her pocket and grabbed my wrist, writing her number on my arm. “Text me sometime,” she said, before dropping my arm. I smirked and nodded, turning and going back to Jen. “I got her number,” I said triumphantly. She nodded and smiled. “Good, then we’re done here,” she said and I pouted. “Do you wanna just chill here for a while though?” I asked and she hesitated, scanning my face. She looked deep in thought.

“Yeah, sure.”

Peyton

My research paper was halfway done, which was mostly a good thing except for the fact that it showed how little of a life I had. Madi had come down to eat a while ago and then went back upstairs when she realized I was being boring. I turned off the computer and went up, ready to go to bed. I pushed the bedroom door open slowly and saw Madison, in pajama pants, watching the news.

She glanced at me briefly and I simply grabbed clothes and changed in the bathroom. I desperately wanted to know what was bothering her and why her attitude towards me had changed so suddenly. When I emerged from the bathroom she was waiting by the light switch. I looked at her, confused and climbed in bed. “It was my turn, remember?” she said, flipping the switch and laying next to me.

I watched her nervously. “Hey Madi?” I asked gently and she turned over, facing me. “Mmm?” she responded. “I was just wondering why you’re acting so differently towards me? Not like I’m complaining,” I said and I saw her smile. “Let’s just say that I found something out that was very reassuring,” she said, leaving me more confused than before.

She moved closer to me and wrapped her arm over my waist. “Don’t worry; eventually you’ll find out. Just not from me,” she whispered. I held her close to me and felt her lips gently touch my cheek. My mouth turned up into a smile. I was finally happy.

*

I didn’t know what was going on. I was about to walk into math class. Will had come, frantically telling me that I needed to follow him. Now, I was in a crowd, getting pulled through to the center of the circle. I was worried. Were people fighting? Why did I need to be here? My heart thumped worriedly when I saw Madison standing in the middle, looking outraged.

Jason was there too, he looked oddly worried. I didn’t know what the hell was going on. “You think you can tell people we slept together?” Madison yelled, and I looked shocked between them. He laughed nervously. “Baby,” he said but she cut him off. “Don’t baby me asshole. I only pretended to be your girlfriend because,” an expected gasp from the crowd, “I was embarrassed.”

“I was embarrassed by what people would think. I don’t care anymore!” she yelled. She turned to the people watching and threw her arms in the air. “You wanna fucking know something people? Hmm, you want the latest gossip you vicious bitches. Well here it fucking is. I love Peyton and we’re fucking married!” she screamed.
Another expected gasp, one left from my own mouth. I watched as she pulled a thin chain out from under her shirt. She ripped it off and took her ring off of it and slid it on her finger. I saw a tear fall down her cheek. “Oh my God,” was murmured from the crowd. I stepped forward numbly, my hand in my pocket. I pulled out my ring and moved it to my finger.

I saw the shocked faces. I saw my friends. I saw people that I’ve never noticed before. I saw Jen mumbling to herself. I saw Madison. She grabbed my hand and laced our fingers. “There isn’t anything else to see people,” she announced, pulling me down the hallway. Once we were out of view, she collapsed against me. “I’m so so sorry that I did this,” she sobbed and we sank to the floor.

I ran my fingers through her hair. “I’m not mad, honest. I’m happy because now everyone knows that you’re mine forever.” She smiled up at me and I wiped away her tears.
♠ ♠ ♠
sorry its been a while.
i was just starting up my new sequel.

anyway, surprise!
figured this would be a good start.
let me know if you like the little blurbs about jen and dave.

you guys have been so great with comments.
i want you to know that i love you with every fiber of my being.
you're slowly but surely making my life.