Forbidden: A modern-day retelling of 'The Little Mermaid'

Chapter 4 part 2

Part 2
I was still figuring out what I should do though, maybe I should speak to Amethyst before I make any irrational decisions, like trading my tail for some legs.

“Jade!” My sisters screamed in unison, “Your back!”

“How was it?” Amethyst questioned.

“What time of day was your favorite?” Ruby asked.

“Did you like the sun?” Opal inquired with a gorgeous, beaming smile.

“Did you see a human?” The last question came from Sapphire.

I never was the best liar but in order to keep my feelings I secret I needed to; it was for the best.

“It was great, and I loved the night. I didn’t like the way my hair felt when it dried and I saw a large ship but I was much too far to see any humans.”

That answer was incredibly vague but I suppose that should hold them over for now. I really just wanted to spend some time with them in case I decide to go to the sea witch.

Everything was moving so fast and I just wanted to know that after I'm gone, my family will be okay. Not that it will matter too much; they’ll never notice.

They each smiled at my faux happiness and agreed they would go to sleep—it was very late at night. I told them I was going to talk to Grandmother first.

I looked around the castle, until I found her in the foyer.

“Grandmother,” I sighed.

“Yes Jade?” Amethyst looked a great deal like her, brown hair and everything. She had the same soft face too; the kind of face that makes you feel less alone.

“I have a question, well questions actually.” I corrected.

She told me to continue and so I calmed myself and then began, “Well, I know that when we die we supposedly become sea-foam, but what happens when a human dies?” I was incredibly curious about this ever since the man I save nearly died; I felt my heart squeeze at the melancholy thought. “Do they turn to dirt?”

“No, that’s not what happens.” She took a large pause, making me more impatient than ever. “When humans die, the good ones either go someplace so great, the best place to be, heaven.”

“And what about the bad ones?” I inquired.

“Well they go to the worst possible place—hell.”

“Why don’t we go to heaven?” That was not fair, I was good and I have faith but I'm not a human.

“I don’t know. We might but after we’re dead we can’t tell anymore. It’s not as if a dead merman can tell us.” She laughed at her joke that held no humor.

“Well, what if I wanted to go to heaven?”

“If a man—human—were to fall so deeply in love with you, your souls would intertwine when you passed, you and he could rise high above to the heavens—together.”

She asked me why I was so curious, I simply replied by saying that my trip above had brought up new thoughts. That led to her asking about my best birthday gift, which I had to lie about—again.

I went to my room and fell into a deep, dreamless sleep, anxious for the morning.
♠ ♠ ♠
Like? Please review, I'll review two chapters of your stories