Let My Heart Rest In Pieces

Exhaustion

Let My Heart Rest In Pieces 013

Exhaustion

My feet dragged unwillingly down the sidewalk, messing up my already ruined Converse with every step I took. There were small dark circles under my eyes from the amount of time I had spent sitting awake, finishing the homework that I had neglected to do. A yawn escaped my lips, my hand covering it instantly.

“Hey V- Woah, what happened to you?”

I turned an exhausted eye to Mikey, who had come up beside me. “I stayed up way too late last night finishing homework. Now, I look like this,” I replied, pointing to my sloppy attire. I had slipped on a pair of jet black sweat pants that were tied tightly around my hips (Yeah, like I was going to take the chance that one of the boys wouldn’t pants me), a loose black v-neck and my hair bound messily up in a bun at the top of my head. Not to mention I wasn’t wearing makeup.

“Well, you still look hot,” Frank said from my other side, looking me up and down. Good thing he was looking down when I blushed.

“Thanks.”

“What about your arm?”

I lazily pointed my thumb towards the midget next to me. “He did it.”

“I told you it was an accident!”

Mikey gave the boy a curious glance and he explained what happened the day before. I zoned out as they talked. I was surprised I had enough energy in my body to think, let alone walk at the same time. Damn, was I a good multitasker or what?

“-vy!”

“Huh?” I questioned, shaking my head to focus on the person that was calling my name.

“Good gosh woman! I’ve been calling you for thirty minutes!”

“Thirty minutes ago I was asleep,” I corrected.

Bert rolled his eyes at me before slinging an arm around my shoulder and laying his weight on me. We both almost toppled over, but somehow, we managed to stay upright.

“Wow, you really are exhausted, aren’t you?” Frank asked and I answered with a nod.

“I bet she doesn’t even make it to third period.”

“No, she’ll hold out until fourth then pass out.”

I glared at the three boys as they bet money on how long I could stay awake before walking away to the entrance of the school to find Taylor and Roxy.

“You look like shit,” Taylor said harshly, although she was speaking the truth. Roxy hit her arm before giving me a sympathetic smile.

“She’s being over dramatic, you just look a smidge tired.”

“A smidge?” Quinn interrupted, coming up to the three of us.

I let out another yawn, feeling like passing out this second. Before I could finish my yawn, I unexpectedly started coughing.

Once I was done with my coughing attack, my throat seemed raw and my face was warm. I saw the concerned faces of my friends looking down at me.

“I’m fine, something probably just got caught in my throat.”

“What, air? Are you sure you’re not sick?”

“I can’t be, I was perfectly fine yesterday.”

The bell rang around us, and it seemed a little louder than usual. “Time to go to class, I’ll see you guys at lunch.”

As I walked away, I could hear Bert saying, “See? She’s ready to pass out at any second.”

I threw him a middle finger from over my shoulder before turning down the hall that lead to my English class.

~~~~~

Although English and everything to do with grammar was my favorite subject and something I was strong in, even I found myself almost bored to tears at the topic we were going through today. Maybe if I had been fully charged, it wouldn’t have been that bad, but I almost fell into dream land a couple of times.

When the bell rang to signal our next class, I didn’t know whether to be relieved or even more depressed. Yes, I was getting away from here, but I was also entering dangerous territory. Ms. Den’s Physics class.

When I actually found my way into the classroom, I let out a breath of relief when I found a substitute at the whiteboard, writing down his name.

I sat down next to Mikey, instantly blurting out, “So Taylor was right.”

“About what?”

“All subs are old.”

The male snorted, putting a hand over his mouth to suppress his laughter. I gave him a weak smile, but paid attention when the man started talking about the assignment we were to do. Everyone in the class nodded their heads, but once he found himself comfortable in the chair behind the computer, all the students talked to their friends around the room.

“How are you hanging in there Envy?” Mikey asked me, pushing up his thick glasses with his index finger. I smiled at the motion before answering.

“I’m hanging in there.”

“Good, because I bet that you would make it until lunch.”

My mouth slightly open in shock, I put a lot of the energy I had left into hitting the boy’s lanky arms repeatedly. “And I thought you were the good, smart kid!”

“I am, but I don’t turn away a chance to make a buck.”

Glaring daggers at him, I hit him one last time before I leaned against the desk. I was totally running on empty, but Mikey had made me determined to make it through the whole day, so that no one would win. I wasn’t someone to be bet on!

The youngest Way contented himself with finishing homework for another class while I sat there silent, resting and regaining a small amount of energy back.

I groaned when the bell rang and slowly sat up and gathered my things. I took in a big breath, soon regretting it when I started coughing again, then headed off to my third period class. I was barely out the door when I realized who was in that class with me.

Drake.

Again, I groaned, only louder this time, but trudged forward. It may be awkward between the two of us, but I wasn’t one to run from my problems. Well, not something this small anyway. When I reached the classroom, I took in a breath, smaller this time, before opening the door and walking inside.

And as usual, Drake was early. He turned his head when I came in, and unlike I expected, he smiled at me instead of ignoring me. This inspired a grin from me.

“Hey there Drake.”

“Hello Envy.”

We talked softly as we waited for the class to start, but once Mr. Singer came in we were as quite as usual.

“Good morning class.”

“Good morning Mr. Singer.”

Before the older man could continue, one of the popular girls by the name of Jenny walked in, chewing her bubble gum loudly.

“Late again Ms. Joseph.”

“Yeah, whatever,” she replied, walking right past me to get to her seat.

As she did, the strong smell of her over doused perfume wafted into my nose, making me choke on it. Usually, this would have just been a small reflex and I would have been fine. Unfortunately, this smell started making me hack like I was a smoker, and no matter how hard I tried, I couldn’t stop.

“Ms. Moore? Are you alright?”

I tried to reply to him, to tell my teacher that I was okay, but the only thing that was coming out of my mouth was whatever germs I was coughing out.

“Mr. Adel, would you please help Ms. Moore to a water fountain, and if need be, the nurse?”

I’m not sure what Drake did, but I suddenly felt his arms around me, guiding me towards the door.

My coughing had died down quite a bit, but I still hadn’t stopped completely. I looked up and saw the metal water fountain in front of me, and drank the water while Drake pushed the button. The cold liquid ran down my throat, instantly relieving the heated pain that ailed me. When I was done, I raised my head and started breathing normally again.

“Thanks,” I said as I turned to my tall friend. His dark eyes looked into mine, deep concern and worry flooding them. I felt really bad for making him feel like that.

“Look, I’m fine-“

“I’m taking you to the nurse,” he said, ignoring me.

“But, I’m fine. I’ll be okay from now on.” At that moment, my body decided to prove me wrong, making my vision blur, which caused me to stumble slightly.

“My ass you’ll be okay.”

Without my permission, Drake bent down, picking me up bridal style and walking me towards the nurse. Even though Drake wasn’t the buffest guy around, he still had some muscle which had become comfortable against my body.

I suddenly felt the wave of exhaustion hit me, and I closed my eyes, enjoying the darkness they brought me. My lips parted as I readied to talk.

“Why do you care so much Drake? I know you’re a gentleman and such, but this is a little drastic.”

“I like you Envy.”

“Hm…” was all I said before I fell asleep.
♠ ♠ ♠
Hey guys! I'm sorry for taking so long to write this, but I really had no idea what I wanted to do. But here it is! :D

I would REALLY like comments telling me how you guys are liking this so far. It can be positive or negative, as long as I get some feedback.

_Comment_

~Jaquie