Let My Heart Rest In Pieces

Unlimited Sound

Whistling. Loud, obnoxious, and annoying whistling. My eye twitched a couple of times, a small glimpse of how annoyed I was becoming with the noise. Lisa laughed into her hand.

"Stop it," I demanded to the whistler, who stopped when I asked. Not even five minutes later, the whistling started once again, but to a different tune or song. I let out a long sigh, trying to ignore it. The sound only got louder, and I was about ready to snap. Digging my hand into the bucket of pics on the counter (we gave them out for free to the people who needed them), I took out a handful and threw them at the person next to me.

"Hey!" Ray shouted while Lisa laughed out loud. We both broke out into laughter when we noticed that most of the pieces of plastic had gotten stuck in the man's hair.

"I told you to stop it," I tried to get out through my giggles, but I don't know if he had heard me.

"Don't you just love slow days?" Lisa sighed, smile still on her face as she watched Ray pick the pics out of his hair.

"It does get kind of boring though."

"And this is only your first day! Imagine the rest of the slow days you'll have to endure."

"Yay," I cheered sarcastically.

The bell that signaled the arrival of a customer rang throughout the store, causing the three of us to shoot our heads up. A tall man with, strangely, bright red hair that seemed as long as mine walked through the door.

"Oh, it's just Scott."

"What kind of greeting is that?"

"An unexcited one apparently," Ray said, patting down his hair because he thought he got rid of all the pics. I rolled my eyes.

"You missed one," I said, plucking it out.

"Who is this?" Scott asked, motioning to me. I gave him a smile as I threw the pic back in Ray's hair.

"Damn you!" he swore, on the search again.

"This is Envy, she's the newbie."

"Nice to meet you," I said, holding my hand out to shake. He took it and brought it to his lips.

"Charmed," he purred.

"I'd back off, she's taken," Bob said, coming out of his office.

Scott sighed. "The pretty ones always are."

"Um, thanks?"

Scott gave me a bright smile, jumping over the counter to stand next to Lisa. "So, no customers again, huh?"

"Nope. It usually is slow like this on Thursdays."

"But Fridays we're always packed."

"Glad my first day wasn't a Friday, but I could use the excitement."

"Don't worry," Lisa started, "tomorrow, you'll be wishing that it was as calm as today."

"Oh, joy."

"You get used to it though," Scott argued, popping a piece of gum in his mouth, "then everything gets a lot easier and you enjoy all the business."

"Plus, the more sales, the bigger the pay check," Ray added in a sing songy voice, making us all laugh.

"Frankie, why are we in here? You said we were going to go to your house and-"

"We're just in here to get some music for the party," Frank said, walking in with his little girlfriend. My eyes widened when they walked in and I ducked behind the desk, causing all the employees to look at me strangely. I put a finger to my lips, motioning them to be quiet. They were and went back to looking at the two new customers.

"How can I help you?" Scott said, circling around the counter to walk up to them.

"We're just looking for some good music. Oh, Hey Bob, Ray."

The two men waved to him, but they looked kind of uncomfortable.

Scott quickly helped them select some good music for a party, bringing them to the register to check out their items. I held my breath the entire time that they were there, glad that they didn't see the weirdo hiding behind the desk. I only stood up when I was sure they were gone.

"What was that all about?"

"Well, he used to be one of my friends, but we had a bad falling out. I didn't want to start anything in the store."

"What happened to him?" Bob asked, leaning against the wall, "Gerard told me that Mikey said he had changed."

"He has. Ever since he started hanging out with her... He's become Mister Popular and abandoned his friends. Then his so called buddies started bothering us and one of them ended up hurting Quinn! I broke the guy's nose who did it and Frank has the balls to come up to me and-"

"Whoa, wait! You broke the guys nose?"

"Yeah, but that's not the point!" I exclaimed.

"Sometimes girls can change a guy," Ray said sadly.

"I just miss the damn Pansy," I muttered while Ray and Bob laughed. I gave them a questioning look. "What?"

"I like that new nick name. Pansy."

I gave the two a ghost of a smile.

~~~~~

"Hey dad, do you mind if I go to a party tomorrow?" I asked my father after I came home from work.

"With who?" he asked without shifting his attention from the TV.

"Mikey," I answered, sitting down next to him on the couch, "He begged me to go, and I would feel bad if I left him all alone."

"He doesn't have any other friends there?"

"Frank, but he's been kind of distanced from us lately. I'm there to make sure Mikey isn't all lonely."

"Sure, you can go," Dad agreed, "But no drinking."

I rolled my eyes. "Yes sir, of course."
♠ ♠ ♠
Yeah... this chapter was, I think, WAY longer BUT when I went to go post it, Mibba apparently thought I wasn't logged in. So, instead of posting the chapter I had just written, it sent me to the log in page. When I went back, everything was gone.

Hope you guys enjoy it anyway.

_Comment_