Let My Heart Rest In Pieces

Juliana Maria Moore

Let My Heart Rest In Pieces 005

Juliana Maria Moore

“Hello,” I said, popping up next to the boys when I found them in the crowded cafeteria.

“Hey Envy,” Frank saluted, moving forward in the line, “How’s school treating you?”

“It’s going good, I already found my nemesis!”

“Nemesis?” the younger boy questioned, confused.

“She means Ms. Den, our physics teacher.”

“Oh, I’ve seen her around school. Major bitch.”

“Mhm,” Envy agreed, grabbing a bottle of tea, paying for it, and waiting for the boys.

“Anyway, where do you two usually sit? Hopefully not in here.”

“No, we sit outside. Follow us.”

Doing as told, I followed them both outside into the sunlight and we walked into the middle of a courtyard where there were two green tables, and other boys were already sitting there.

“Now we get to introduce you to our other friends. What’s up bitches?!” Frankie yelled, jumping on one of the guys.

“Get off of me, loser.”

“Don’t get your panties in a bunch Dan.”

“Yo, who’s the chick?”

Turning from his moment with Dan, Frank spun towards me then walked over and pushed me towards them all.

“This lovely lady is Envy Moore. Envy, that dirty man over there is Dan Whitesides.”

“Nice to meet you Envy,” he said, nodding his head in greeting.

“That’s Jepha Howard over there, Bert McCracken next to him, and Quinn Allman right there.”

“It’s a pleasure meeting you again Envy,” Quinn said with a grin.

Mikey looked at Quinn and then at me. “You two have met before?”

“Yeah, when I was getting my schedule I fell and he helped me up.”

“Quinn, since when do you act like a gentleman?” Bert laughed, hitting his friend on the back.

“I am a gentleman, although anyone is a gentleman compared to you.”

I rolled my eyes at the argument the two were having and sat down at the empty seat next to Jepha.

“Hi,” he said.

“Hello,” I replied with a laugh, smiling at the boy.

Jepha was a boy with jet black hair that fell past his ears and framed his narrow face. He had two studs on his bottom lip and small gages in his ears. Height wise, if he stood up, he would probably be taller than me. Although he wasn’t what some girls would call ‘cute’, he seemed average and so far was a nice kid.

Looking across the table, I watched as Dan fooled around with Frankie. He was probably the most normal out of all the boys, by looks anyway. His hair was just as long as Jepha’s, but seeming more like dark brown. His face was adorned with freckles that brought out his beautiful green eyes.

“Well hey there beautiful. As you know, I am the sexy Bert McCracken. Seeing as I like you, I’ll let you call me Bert.”

“What do people call you that you don’t like?” I questioned, curious.

“Sir Sex God.”

I snorted, almost spitting out my tea. Everyone heard the unlady like sound and laughed as I tried to choke down what liquid I had left in my mouth. Once that was done, I gulped down air.

“Okay, even if you didn’t like me, I would not call you that,” I said seriously.

“Don’t worry, no one else does,” Mikey interjected with a roll of his eyes.

“Hey, does anyone know where Roxy and Taylor are?” Jepha asked, looking around.

“I heard they got a detention with the beast, Ms. Den.”

“That’s my new enemy,” I stated.

“I think she’s everyone’s enemy,” Dan replied, hissing after he said so.

“Who’s Ms. Den?” Jepha asked.

“A Senior physics teacher,” Mikey groaned.

“Can’t wait for that my Senior year,” Bert sighed.

“How many of you guys are Juniors?” I asked, looking at them. They all seemed old enough to be Seniors.

“It’s just me, Bert, and Frank. I’m guessing you’re a Senior?”

“Yep! It feels good,” I said tauntingly. As I finished, I heard two female voices getting louder and turned around to look.

“About damn time you got here,” Frankie said, pulling them towards me. “This is Envy. Now have some girl bonding time!”

“Shut up veggie,” the shorter one said, “Hi, I’m Roxy.”

“Envy Moore. And I’m guessing you’re Taylor.”

“That would be me.”

Roxy was a short girl, around 5’4”, with shoulder length black hair held back with a head band. Her eyes were a bright blue that was slightly hidden behind glasses.

Taylor, though not exactly short, was still kind of small. She was probably around my height with dirty blond hair let loose. Her eyes were a light brown that almost matched her hair color.

“It’s nice to meet you two. I’m glad that there are some other girls in this sausage fest.”

“You know you like it!” Bert yelled out before going back to his conversation. We all rolled our eyes before going back to our lunch.

~~~~~

“This piano class is not just one of those courses that you have time to goof off in. You all are really here to learn this art, am I correct?”

“Yes sir,” we all said in unison. Mr. Cell was a very strict man, but he had kind brown eyes. His dark brown hair was gelled back, and his whole appearance kind of reminded me of the Ken dolls I used to have as a kid, orange polo shirt with Khaki pants and all.

“Seeing as today is the first day, I’ll cut you some clack. Just sit around the pianos we do have and get familiar with them.”

When the bell rang, we said goodbye and headed off to the last period of the day. For me, that was Volleyball.

“Envy, there you are! It’s about time you got here,” Bert shouted, waving me over.

“Damn, the whole group is here. Do you all have Volleyball?”

“Hell yeah. Our coach is going to kill us all.”

“Gather ‘round so that I can take attendance.”

~~~~~

“This day was way too long,” Quinn sighed, stretching his arms and yawning.

“And guess what? We have to come back tomorrow.”

“Don’t remind us!” Mikey exclaimed.

“At least this is your last year. Bert, Jepha, and I still have another year after this one is over.”

“Ha ha, that’s totally true.”

“Hey Envy, do you want to hang with us? We’re all going to hang at the local café.”

“Sorry guys, I have to go home and cook dinner for my dad when he gets home. Maybe tomorrow.”

“Yeah, we’re all going to Jepha’s house, so be warned.”

I laughed and smiled at them all. “I will heed your warning then. Bye guys.”

The large group waved me off and I started to walk away. I passed some slow moving kids and walked peacefully down the sidewalk.

So, today had been the first day of school and it went pretty well. I made new friends and even a new enemy. This was also the last year I had to go to school, besides the four long and daunting years of college.

Speaking of college, what was I going to do with my life once high school is over and I’m practically on my own? I could maybe pick up a singing career, but those kinds of jobs didn’t always work out.

“I still have plenty of time to think about that. For the time being, what should I make for dinner?”

~~~~~

After making some pork chops with buttery mashed potatoes, I headed up to my newly painted room and just fell on the bed. I stared at the ceiling and just left my mind blank. After being like that for a while, I sighed and turned over on my side, then raised my eyebrow at what I saw.

“What’s the drawer doing open? I didn’t put anything in it. I swear, if this house is haunted, my ass is totally out of here.”

Opening the drawer completely, I saw a picture frame lying face down. Being the curious person I was, I of course picked it up to have a look.

“It’s… Mom.”

And Mom it was. Her dark brown hair fell into her smiling face and her blue eyes sparkled. She looked so beautiful. In her arms was a six year old me, grinning right along with her and showing two missing teeth.

“Can you believe it’s been eleven years since your mother has been gone?”

“It’s hard to believe because the memories are so clear in my mind…”

My dad came over and sat on the bed along with me, stroking my hair as we both gazed at the picture.

“I miss her.”

“I miss her too.”
♠ ♠ ♠
Ah, first day of school is always the hardest. Tell me peoples think!

_Comment_