Let My Heart Rest In Pieces

My Lips

Let My Heart Rest In Pieces 074

My Lips

“I just think the whole idea is stupid! What kind of theme is that? It’s so lame, only the girls like it,” Jepha shouted out as I walked up to the table for lunch. His abrupt and random comment made me stop walking for a second and just blink at him, but I shook my head and continued on anyway. It was normal for them to have the weirdest topics; mostly because they themselves were far from normal.

“I don’t like it,” I heard Taylor complain.

“That’s because you’re not a girl,” the boy teased. Knowing the girl’s violent nature, I ducked as I found my seat next to Jeremy, and avoided the shot at Jepha.

“What are we all arguing about over here?” I questioned once it was safe to talk, sitting next to Jeremy. In case the blonde decided to throw more items, I could use the teen as a shield.

“Prom and the stupid theme that they picked for it,” Quinn summarized as he moved to sit on the wall behind me. I turned to look him in the eye and gave him a playful glare. No one just moved behind another person for no reason.

“Are you using me as a shield?” I inquired. He gave me a sneaky grin and leaned back so I couldn’t hit him in the head. It’s not like I could really blame him, I was doing the same thing. I guess great minds just think alike.

“Anyway, what’s so wrong with the theme?” Bert asked, having come into the middle of the conversation like I had.

“It’s ‘Our Last Dance’, or some crap like that,” Dan mumbled through a bite of his chicken, not looking pleased at all.

“You guys are such complainers,” Jeremy scoffed, “It is better than it could be. It could be some ‘Disney Dream’ or whatever.”

The boys seemed to think about it for a moment, loudly chewing their food. As soon as they swallowed, they all agreed in grumbles that compared to that, it was okay.

“I can’t believe it’s almost Prom time already though, it feels like yesterday that we all went to Homecoming,” Roxy said, her eyes cloudy as she began to day dream back to the amazing night we had not too long ago.

“We still have a long wait though, it’s not until May,” I spoke.

“That’s not the point Envy; you’re such a party pooper!”

I just rolled my eyes and leaned against Jeremy while my friends continued their conversation, getting into an argument very quickly. I laughed at them and went back to my thoughts, looking back to homecoming. It did feel like that dance had only been a couple days ago, that’s how well the memories had been. Would Prom be just as good, or end up being a flop we still would enjoy? I remember my father telling me that his Prom hadn’t been all that great, but ended well. He hadn’t told me the details, thank god, jut said that all that mattered was the date you brought, the friends you danced with, and the good year you had before it. Taking all of this into consideration, I could only think Prom would be amazing.

This school year had been one of the best of my entire life; having Homecoming to compare Prom with, I had good friends to have fun with, even more than I had last time. As of a date, wasn’t it obvious on whom I would be going with? Jeremy and I were both very comfortable in the relationship we had with one another, so we would be fine with going to Prom together. We would have fun at Prom, and it would almost be an exact replica of Homecoming. Except… Frankie would go with Tamara this time instead of with me. I really need to get over this jealousy thing, but speaking of the short boy—

“Where’s Pansy?”

Not thinking—about the group’s conversation anyway—I interrupted Taylor since she was in the middle of her sentence. She gave me a very annoyed look and dug into her backpack without even a glance and pulled out a pen. Noticing this, I ducked half my body behind Jeremy, looking over his shoulder to see if she was going to throw it or not.

“You were using me as a shield too!” the teen whined, guarding his unprotected face with his hands seeing as he might get hit.

“Thanks for your sacrifice!” I shouted, ignoring his complaint. Tay threw the pen, but it only hit my side, so I was safe this go around. Next time, I wasn’t so sure.

“But seriously, where is the midget?”

“Him and Tamara were still arguing the last time I saw them, if I remember correctly,” Roxy announced, flicking some trash randomly at Mikey, who glared at her.

“That’s all he does with her lately, and I don’t even know why or what they are arguing about.”

“It’s what couples do,” Quinn defended, “not every relationship is perfect. Hell, no relationship is perfect.”

“You think they’ll last?” Dan grumbled out around a mouthful of food, though the question came out very seriously.

“They make a cute couple,” I admitted, trying not to sound at all jealous, “it would be a shame if they broke up.”

~~~~~~

Was it sad that I was still thinking deeply about what had gone on during lunch? There had been many other topics we had gone over, most of them I had participated in, but I couldn’t get Frank out of my head. I really think my heart was bipolar when it came to that boy, because I disliked him one moment, while I was head over heels for him the next. But wasn’t that how the heart worked for every teenage girl? However, it still didn’t make any sense. Why couldn’t my life be normal and uncomplicated? Probably because I was Envy Moore and having that kind of life was unheard of in this life time.

The keys of the piano under me made me feel less conflicted on the matter, though, and I could feel the problems leaking out of me with each press of the key. Or at least they felt like they were being pushed back farther in my mind so that I couldn’t think on the matter.

I had a knack for the instrument, having known the basics since I was a small child, and the teacher had given me slightly harder music to play, which was both a challenge and a relaxer. On one hand, it was a little harder than what I had been used to so far, but it gave me something to focus my energy on, rather than thinking about the love of my life a silly boy.

I was so interested in the white and black keys that I didn’t notice the person that sat next to me. At least not until their fingers joined mine and started to play a melody along with me. I jumped slightly and stopped playing. Looking next to me, I was surprised to see the boy that I had been thinking so hard about materialize next to my side.

“Frank, what are you doing here?”

He gave me a huge, Frankie grin and continued to play his part of the song

“I got out of class early, so I decided to stop by, then go off to Volleyball with you.”

I looked over at the teacher and noticed that he didn’t seem to see what was going on. I shrugged and thought nothing more of it. If he got caught, it wasn’t my problem.

“And by getting out early, you mean skipping?”

“Skipping, leaving early, it’s all the same thing,” he teased.

I rolled my eyes and placed my fingers back on the piano and began to play the song from the beginning once again. Frank joined with me, and this time we played it together without stopping. I was surprised that Frankie was good with the piano. His fingers, which worked hard against a guitar, were light and gentle against the piano keys. Together, we made the piece fit together like it hadn’t with just one person playing. When we came to the end, I glanced over at my friend and smiled while he did the same.

“Are you gifted with every instrument on the planet?” I questioned him with a huff, turning my body towards him. Frankie rolled his hazel eyes at me.

“No, I’m not. I just know how to play a couple of things, guitar and piano being one of them.”

“Mr. Oh-So-Talented.”

“Don’t you mean Mr. Awesomepants?”

I looked at him for a moment before bursting into laughter, feeling him chuckle above me as I bent over in my laughter. When I stopped giggling, I looked at Frank with a huge grin on my face.

“I can’t believe you still remember that, it seems like years ago.”

The small boy shrugged his shoulder and stood up, noticing that the class was almost over.

“It was something that just stuck in my mind.”

“Only because I was complimenting you!” I exclaimed.

“Maybe, maybe not.”

For the last couple minutes left in the class, the two of us talked, mostly about silly little things, and I found myself smiling non-stop. This is how best friends actually acted around each other and I had to admit that I missed being with the kid like this. When was the last time we had really enjoyed ourselves this freely? I missed the days when it had been just me and him, like at the tattoo parlor.

Thinking back on the time, I could feel myself absent mindedly stroking the tattoo on my wrist, tracing his lips like I had so many times. It had actually become some kind of soothing method for me, outlining the tan lips that imprinted my skin. Frankie noticed this and chuckled a little bit.

“What?” I questioned, not knowing what he was laughing about.

“You do the same thing I do with the tattoo,” he answered, pointing to my motions. I stopped and looked down at the colors.

“Oh, I didn’t even realize,” I said, kind of embarrassed that I had done it in front of him.

That was when I looked down and saw that he was doing it as well, only the lips his finger was caressing were red; my lips. He looked at me and I saw that Frankie spark in his eyes, something that meant sincerity when it came to him.

I didn’t feel the need to say anything else once I saw that. Just smiled at him softly and continued to talk to him as the bell rang, walking together and laughing as we made our way to the last period of the day.

Yeah, this is was the best part about best friends.
♠ ♠ ♠
Sorry for the long wait. First, I had writers block and second I had to focus on school work. I'll try and write faster.