Let My Heart Rest In Pieces

Destroy Them

Let My Heart Rest In Pieces 085

Destroy Them

“Is my underwear showing? I feel like my underwear is showing,” I mumbled, turning my back as far as it could go so that I could see my butt.

“No Envy, you’re fine. Your booty looks damn good in those shorts.”

I laughed at my short friend and gave her outfit a nod. “And so does yours.”

If you were wondering what the hell we were talking about, Roxy and I had been admiring the volleyball uniform that we were wearing. Today was the senior versus Faculty volleyball game—an event that got the school excited for the end of the year—and the two of us had signed up to be the seniors. The school had graciously made us our uniform, custom made, so that our last names were on the back of our shirts.

Besides the extremely short shorts that we were supposed to wear—their function I wasn’t sure—we were also wearing out very comfy mesh jerseys, which were sleeveless and showed a little bit of the sports bras we were wearing. As an extra, we wore knee and elbow pads for protection. Then the standard tennis shoes, of course.

“Do you think we’re going to win the game?” Roxy asked me, taking up all that thick hair to put into a pony tail. I shrugged and started to do the same, making sure that it was loose enough to bounce comfortably behind me.

“Maybe, maybe not. I don’t know all the teachers that volunteered to be in it, but I say that since the captain of the volleyball team is helping, we have a more than better chance at winning.”

Roxy and I were the last girls to leave the almost empty locker room, so when we entered the gym everyone who would be in the game was present on their respective sides.

“V, look who it is!” the raven haired girl squealed, pointing over to the teacher’s section.

My eyes followed her finger to the tall and handsome teacher and I almost swooned. There, in all his manly glory, was Mr. Smith. Ever since we had become close friends, even closer because of the competition and the concert, my mind seemed to have forgotten how handsome he was.

Not anymore though. The male uniform consisted of mesh basketball shorts the same color as mine, and a fitted, sleeveless shirt. Mr. Smith always wore loose dress shirts and dress pants, so it was a drastic change to see him so bare. He had muscles you couldn’t have said were there unless you saw them. Just looking at him, I think I might have drooled a little bit.

“Damn,” I mumbled, looking away before my teacher caught me staring at his ass.

“I’m going to enjoy making him sweat.”

“Okay team, get over here!” Felicia, the captain, shouted. The “captain” of the faculty tea, did the same. I watched Mr. Smith walk away until Felicia called our attention.

“I know that all of you here, whether you’re on the volleyball team or not, are better than most students when it comes to this. I also know that our teachers aren’t half as good as we are. The only person we have to worry about it my coach.” She laughed and looked back over at the teachers.

“I suggest that you keep the ball as far away from her as possible. Focus on the older and less lean teachers and we’ll destroy them.”

“She really wants to win,” I whispered to my small friend. She nodded but had the same determination burning in her eyes.

“Alright guys, let’s do this!”

We characteristically our hands into the center of our circle and threw them into the air with a shout. The faculty did a more mature version of what we had and when to their benches while we went to ours. All we had to do now was wait for the students to fill in the bleachers.

“This is so much better than going to class,” Roxy sighed with a smile.

I agreed with her before the two of us continued to talk as the teens filled the large room. Each student here had bought a ticket to the game and wore a fancy little wrist band that had the school colors on it. There were a whole damn lot of them because they all were thinking the same thing Roxy was.

“Rox, do I see what I think I’m seeing?”

Looking confused, she turned to the doorway and deadpanned. There was our group of friends walking through the door, each holding a sign full of bright letters and even glitter. Our names and encouraging phrases were printed on them.

“When did they even find time to do that?”

“Our friends are so stupid,” Roxy commented, “but I’m flattered.”

Once everyone was mostly seated and had quieted down so much, our principal had taken the microphone to welcome everyone and get them pumped up for the game to come. They cheered at the right times and screamed when it was time to start the game. It was the perfect combo to get us all pumped for the game.

Since Felicia was the captain of her volleyball team, she was the one that got the job of serving the ball since we had won the toss about who was serving first. With the first pass over the net, the game was on.

I had always been competitive when it came to my 7th period volleyball class, but when it came to this game it was a whole new level entirely. These teens knew how to play, despite what any of them looked like, and the ball never hit the ground for a good couple of minutes—something we had never managed in class.

As well, we were all grunting out our hits like professional tennis players. I had always thought the noises had been exaggerated for the sake of TV, but after my first five hits of the white ball, I learned that they just kind of escaped. And damn, did this game make you sweat.

I also learned that Roxy had meant it when she said she was going to enjoy making Mr. Smith sweat. She was on the front line, so every time she was to pass the ball over, it went directly to him. And boy, did he look good when he was sweating. Mr. Smith was a surprisingly good volleyball player. He only fumbled on the first pass she served him, but after that he was a well-oiled machine.

The faculty was the first to score when the coach sent a terrifying spike over the net. No one was there to pass it back—her intention I was guessing—so they got on the scoreboard first.

“Holy shit, your coach is scary!” Owen, another Senior, breathed out with wide eyes.

“I told you we had to stay away from her.”

“Break their hips Seniors!” Taylor shouted out above the crowd, grabbing everyone’s attentions and sending a wave of laughter throughout the gym. Roxy and I chuckled along with them, shaking our heads.

“Complete idiots.”

“Alright guys, seeing as coach just scored, I think we need to make sure she doesn’t get the ball, like, at all. Keep it far away from her, even if she’s by the worst player. If she does get it, make sure that someone is in the front for spike protection and someone in the back for the far shots. Understood?”

“Yes ma’am,” we all said with a little salute before getting back to the net.

The game continued on like that, with both teams scoring more than once on each other while the crowd behind us all cheered.

I felt completely disgusting as the game came to a close, because I was covered in sweat and maybe a little dirt from falling. I felt like my towel wasn’t doing its job when I wiped it over my body.

“We just need to make sure that the next point is to us and the game is ours,” Roxy panted, looking as tired as I felt. She was having fun, I knew that, but the competitive edge had come on in the small girl. She had even stopped bumping the ball to Mr. Smith unless she had to because she now knew what was best for the game.

Nodding to agree with her, I poured some water into my hands and then let it run down my neck. I felt like I was overheating, but I hadn’t felt this good in a while. Adrenaline had that kind of effect on you. Fortunately for us, the faculty looked more than just tired, they looked ready for defeat. Felicia, who was used to this kind of thing, had a smirk on her face like she knew she was going to win.

And win we did. With only a couple seconds left in the game, Felicia moved up from the back when the ball was coming over and spiked the ball right to the ground. What made the victory that much better was when the ball landed right at the feet of her coach.

Hundreds of kids cheered when the clocked timed out and we ended up the winners. Our whole team screamed along with them and jumped on each other, not caring that we were all sweaty. We all jumped around like excited girls, though there was more than one boy on our team, and congratulated each other.

We shook hands of the entire faculty that had played, and each said congrats to us as we walked past. When I came upon Mr. Smith, who still looked damn delicious, he gave me a pointed look.

“You’ll pay for this at our up and coming practice.”

At that my face fell. “Oh, come on! That’s just being a sore loser!”

He laughed at me as we departed to take a quick shower in the locker rooms. The students were required to stay in the bleachers, but were entertained for the last ten minutes of school by some dances from the dance team, a spirited song from the band, and something silly from the head of the SGA.

I didn’t take that long to shower, mostly because I just wanted to get that layer of sweat and dirt off me, so when I was all dried and dressed in my school clothes, the bell to end school had just rung. Roxy had waited for me by the entrance. She looked tired, but happy. I think I looked the same way.

“That was a great game. I feel like a professional.”

I laughed. “I don’t know about professional, but maybe I should have joined the team.”

“It’s a little late now,” Roxy giggled, looping her arm through mine as we left the gym. However, once we exited the room, we were bombarded by and idiotic group of teens that nearly sent us crashing to the ground.

“You guys were awesome!”

“The look in Roxy’s eyes was so intense!”

“Did you see Envy pas the ball over before she crashed to the ground?”

“You guys owned those teachers!”

“Get off of us!” Roxy yelled, pushing the crowd away.

“Good lord, I thought I was going to die in there,” I breathed, readjusting my clothes and sending my friends a glare.

“We were excited!” Bert said with a smile. Not like that justified the action, but I smiled back. Even with their attack, this had been a good way to end a Friday.

Jeremy came up to me and slid his arm around my waist, pulling me in close and kissing the top of my head. “Watching you was actually pretty hot. Especially with those short shorts on.”

“Ugh, you’re such a perv!” I laughed.

All of us walked out of the school together as a group. We were all in our own little conversations, and I was discussing my weekend plans with Roxy and Jeremy.

“Well, my AP exam is this coming Tuesday, so I need to study for that, and then since our concert is coming up, we have to do some final runs for it Saturday morning.”

“BORING,” Jeremy and Roxy exclaimed at the same time, like it had been planned.”

“I’m sorry I’m a good student. And you should be preparing for the test to Jeremy.”

“What am I going to do, write a bunch of essays? I think not.”
♠ ♠ ♠
Wooooh, I posted this after the 2012 Wipe Out (That's what I'm gonna call it)