Let My Heart Rest In Pieces

Don't Kiss And Tell

Let My Heart Rest In Pieces 009

Don’t Kiss And Tell

It had been hard to go to sleep that night after Frank had kissed me. Every time I closed my eyes, I could feel his soft lips on mine. When I woke up at seven the next morning, Saturday morning, I felt exhausted.

I skipped my morning shower, throwing my bed head hair up into a high bun and staying in my pajamas. When I walked into the living room where my father was watching TV, he looked me over and gave me a strange look.

“Don’t you look… beautiful,” he said. That was Dad’s nice secret code for ‘you may look ugly right now, but I still love you’. Thanks Dad, I love you too.

I grumbled and sat in the living room chair, my legs folded under me.

“It was a long night,” I said, rubbing the sleep out of my eyes with the heel of my palm.

“I can see that. How was the concert?”

I cuddled into one of the small, comfortable chair pillows before answering. “It was good, a lot of people packed into one space.”

Dad laughed and got up and ruffled my hair on his way to the kitchen. I glared at him as he walked away. My hair was already a rat’s nest, did he really have to mess it up more? Jerk face.

“What are your plans for the day?” he questioned from the other room.

“Roxy’s coming over and we’re just going to hang out. What are you going to do with your day off?”

“I was thinking about going out to buy some stuff then go to lunch. I know you don’t want me bothering your girl time.”

I rolled my eyes. “What kinds of things do you plan on buying?”

“Things that I want?” he answered, hoping that was the right answer.

“How about things we need?”

“Okay mother. I thought I was the parent here?”

I ignored what he said and got up. I couldn’t stand being unclean any longer. Plus, I needed to fix my messed up hair.

“I’m going to get ready now. If Roxy comes, tell her I’m in the shower.”

“Can do.”

I quickly ran back up the stairs and into my room, taking my time to undress. Now bare assed, I walked into the connected bathroom, undoing my hair and jumping into the shower. I turned the water on and waited for a moment for it to heat up. Once it was steaming hot, I let the waterfall spray over my body and relax my muscles. I poured shampoo into my hands and massaged my scalp with them. Getting completely relaxed, I closed my eyes. But once I had, Frank’s face popped into my mind, and I remembered the brief kiss we had shared last night.

My eyes snapped open at the thought, and the shampoo that had gotten into my face went straight into my eyes.

“Ow, shit, shit! God damn, this burns!”

With my eyes shut tight to keep the rest of the suds out of my eyes, I stepped out of the shower and went into my room, where I had stupidly left my towel. I found it and rubbed my eyes profusely. I heard a gasp from my bed, and I opened my eyes to see Mikey on my bed, eyes bulging and mouth open wide.

It was silent between us for only a moment before I screamed bloody murder and hid under the pile of dirty clothes next to me.

“Mikey, what the hell are you doing in my room?!”

“Oh, my God! I’m so sorry, I didn’t know you were going to come out!” he yelled, his hands over his eyes, like that helped him after he had already seen me naked, “Your dad just told me and Roxy to wait in your room and-“

“What happened?” Roxy yelled, looking around the room. When she saw me on the floor naked and Mikey covering his eyes, she figured it out.

“Wow,” was all she could say in response.

“Could you both just please get out of my room so I can finish?!”

“Yeah…”

Roxy lead Mikey out of the room, his eyes still covered, and shut the door behind them. I let out a huge sigh and got up. I walked back into the bathroom and stepped back into the shower, washing all the suds and dirt I had all over my body, and then quickly got ready.

I went down stairs and saw Roxy and Mikey sitting on the couch together quietly. I sat down next to Mikey, who was blushing nonstop.

“You’re forgiven,” I said calmly, turning on the TV.

“That’s the first time I’ve ever seen a girl naked.”

I whipped my head around towards him and then hit his chest.

“Shut up! Why are you even here anyway?” I interrogated, glaring daggers at him.

“I needed something to entertain me before I went off to work.”

“So catching Envy when she’s naked was the thing to do then?” Roxy asked with a smirk on her face.

“It’s not like I had planned it,” he mumbled, trying to defend himself.

I stared at him for only a moment before I lifted him off the couch and towards the door.

“Get out of here you pervert!”

I opened the door, pushed him out, then slammed it in his face. All this time, Roxy had been laughing her ass off over there on the couch.

“That was a little harsh, don’t you think?” she said once her giggles had subsided.

“I don’t care,” I huffed with a blush, “First, Frank kisses me and now this?”

Roxy looked at me sympathetically for a moment before her eyes bugged out. “Wait, Frank kissed you? When?!”

“Last night after the concert, I had just dropped him off at his house and that little peck was supposed to be my payment,” I replied, wedging myself deep into the couch cushions, or rather, trying to anyway.

“Oh, my god… he totally wants you!” Roxy squealed.

“What? You have to be kidding me! He was just… I don’t know, being stupid I guess.”

“Nope, no way, he wants you. I’ve known that little midget since 5th grade, he doesn’t just randomly kiss girls,” she voiced with certainty.

“Haven’t you ever heard of the rule of ‘Don’t kiss and tell’?”

“But Frank's not a guy to do that, I know him backwards and forwards, and that’s totally not like him.”

“Whatever,” I mumbled. Why couldn’t this couch be bottomless so that I could escape into it?

“You like him, don’t you?”

I was silent, pondering the question that had been thrown at me. I took into consideration how I had felt when he had fallen on top of me in the kitchen, and how amazing that little kiss had seemed yesterday.

“Yeah, I guess I do.”

The smaller girl sighed and patted me on the back. “It’s okay; he has those charming good looks that just draw you into his spell. I liked him in the 7th grade.”

“How did you ever stop liking him?”

“I found someone else to chase after,” she said shyly with a small smile on her face.

“Who?”

“Gerard.”

I grinned at her and looked into her embarrassed face. “He’s a total sweetheart.”

“I’ve been trying to get his attention since the day I first saw him, but I’m only in the friend’s zone.”

“I think I can help you with that,” I said, “You two would make the cutest couple.”

~~~~~

Once again, Monday rolled around, signaling the start of another week of torture people liked to call school. After checking myself in the mirror one last time, I slowly trudged down the stairs, walking into the kitchen to see it empty. Dad must have today off.

I grabbed a quick cereal bar before picking up my school bag and heading out the door, the cool morning air hitting my face. Standing at the bench, I waited for Mikey and Frank to escort me to school like they usually did.

Oh, god, Frankie…

I hadn’t seen him since Friday night, how awkward was our day going to be? The fact that I had finally convinced myself that I liked him only made the upcoming moment worse in my mind.

Sooner than I would have liked, I saw two people walking up to me. One was Bert and the other was Frank. Huh, Mikey must have left early to avoid me and my wrath against him for seeing me naked. Smart boy.

“Hey Envy, how are you on this wonderful school morning?” Bert asked sarcastically.

“I-it’s been going good so far, I’m guessing yours hasn’t?” I replied to his question, sneakily taking looks over at my ‘crush’.

That felt really weird to say, crush. I needed a new word for my liking of Frank. Fondness? No, that sounded like we were in love or something. Infatuation? Sounded sort of something a stalker would say, but it would have to do.

When I did look over at him, he seemed completely normal, like nothing at all had happened the other night, like he hadn’t kissed me!

As Bert rambled on and on about how his morning had started out totally horrific, I tried to cool my own emotions down like Frank. If he could act like nothing happened, so could I.

“So, this day isn’t going the best,” Bert concluded a pout on his lips.

“You’re such a whiner,” Frank joked, pushing Bert off the sidewalk and into the grass.

“I am not!” he defended as we laughed.

Soon, we came upon the school and saw our friends at the entrance waiting for us. When Roxy saw me walking next to Frank, she smiled, giving me an encouraging nod.

“Let’s go, everyone’s here!” she announced, dragging everyone into the school, leaving us in the back. When Frankie was about to follow, I held onto his arm.

“Can I talk to you?” I asked, pushing my nervousness down.

“Sure, what’s up?”

“Well, I wanted to know… why did you kiss me Friday night?”

“Kissed you..? Oh, you mean after you took me home? Just a little reward I thought you deserved. You didn’t think it meant anything, did you?”

“Ha, no,” I said with a fake laugh, “It was just completely unexpected. Don’t want to get your cooties anyway.”

We walked quietly to meet the rest of the group, and I strolled over to Roxy.

“The kiss didn’t mean anything,” I whispered into her ear, “And I don’t mean anything to him.”
♠ ♠ ♠
_Comment_