Status: Finished

Fake Boyfriend

If the Go-Go’s Did It, Why Can’t We?

- Morgan -

“Should we be doing this?” Danica asked timidly.

“Shh, just relax. It’ll turn out fine. Just stick with the story and let me do most of the talking,” I said as we approached Pagan’s door.

“Fine, but if she freaks, you’re a human shield,” she said and pressed her finger to the doorbell. Pagan answered and let us in, talking animatedly about something she had seen on tv a few hours ago. We pretended to listen when Danica nudged me in the ribs.

“What?” I whispered.

“Better do it now or she won’t shut up for an hour,” she said. I rolled my eyes but knew she was right.

“Hey, Pagan. Don’t freak out but we did a little favor for you,” I said. Pagan stopped talking and sat across from me at the table.

“A favor? Did you do my laundry?” she said.

“Obviously not. We set up a profile on a dating site for you. You’ve got a date tonight,” I said. She hung her head and I could see she was clenching her fist.

“You didn’t,” she said quietly.

“I did. We did,” I said, touching Danica on the shoulder.

“Please don’t drag me into this,” Danica said, pushing my hand off. Pagan drummed her nails on the table and raised her head.

“I’ll do it just this once. If it doesn’t turn out the way I want, delete the profile and I’ll think it was all a dream,” she said.

“Deal,” I said, sticking out my hand for her to shake. She shook it a little hard but I just laughed before hiding my aching hand underneath the table.

We left Pagan’s house and drove to mine where Jesse was waiting. Danica was more relaxed now that we (or rather I) had managed to talk Pagan into my brilliant plan. But as we pulled into my driveway and Jesse stood up from where he had been sitting on the step, she started to freak.

“What are we telling Jesse again?” she said, fingers locked around the door handle.

“Just let me do the talking. If this works, I might let you take part of the credit for the plan,” I said. We got out the car and I brought everyone into the living room.

“You guys are late,” Jesse said, pointing at his watch.

“Sorry but our errand took a little longer then expected. Hey, you feel like joining us and the boys tonight for dinner?” I said.

“Sure. Does Pagan need a ride?” he said, pouring himself a glass of soda.

“Uh no actually. She is going to be on a date. She just told us when we driving over here. I don’t know where she’s going but I thought we might as well go out too. Maybe we’ll run into her and we can make fun of her date,” I said.

“She has a date? Great so I’ll be the fifth wheel,” he said, taking a long sip of his soda.

“Relax, maybe you’ll meet a cute girl and hit it off. Just meet us later and we’ll make a night of it,” I said.

“Fine. I’m going home to get ready. I’ll see you later then, just text me the details,” he said. He walked out and partially slammed the door.

“He seemed annoyed,” Danica said, pouring out the remains of his soda and setting the glass in the sink.

“I can’t tell if it’s because he has to be the fifth wheel or because Pagan has a date. I guess we’ll see,” I said. Danica looked at me like I was crazy but threw up her hands in defeat. I guess I was just like my mother.

- Jesse -

I had gotten to the restaurant first and was waiting at the bar for the rest of the group. I was working on my second beer when I noticed Pagan across the restaurant. Her yellow dress made her stand out first. The look of absolute anger was the second thing. Her heeled foot bobbed up and down in the air as her legs were crossed. One arm was crossed over her chest, the other pushing a charm on her necklace back and forth. She looked at the clock and the red rose in her cheeks. I got another beer from the bartender and I made my way over to her. Her anger masked my approach so she didn‘t see me. I sat down in the chair opposite of her and held out a beer.

“Jesse?” she said when she turned her head after the bottle appeared in her path.

“Didn’t think I’d see you here. Thought you had a date?” I said. She drank half of her beer in one large chug and wiped her mouth.

“He was supposed to be here an hour ago. Bastard stood me up,” she said, finishing off her beer.

“Well the others are coming for dinner. Might as well join us,” I said. I signaled the waitress for some more beers when my phone rang. It was Morgan.

“Hey Jesse, listen, we’re going to be late. I got called into work and so did Braxton. Craig is about an hour away as he just got off work. Danica said she’s going to go help Braxton to see if she can help him finish quicker. Do you still want to have dinner or just reschedule?” Morgan said. I groaned and rubbed my eyes.

“No it’s fine. We can reschedule. I’ll talk to you later,” I said and hung up.

“Looks like both our evenings were ruined,” she said.

“Do you want to go home?”

“Hell no. I didn’t get all dolled up and in this dress just to go home. I look good and I don’t want to waste it.”

“Well then, let’s get some food. I’m starving,” I said.

Hours passed. I wasn’t sure what time it was when we left the restaurant. I didn’t think to look at my watch. We managed to find an open ice cream shop and walked the downtown streets. We were nearing the end of downtown and were a few blocks from our houses when Pagan suddenly stopped.

“I have an idea,” she said and started off towards the fountain. I chased after her and managed to catch up when she was taking off her heels. She stepped into the water, testing it’s temperature before putting both of her feet in the water.

“I don’t know if that’s such a good idea,” I said.

“You scared Lacey?” she said, splashing water on me. I tore off my shoes and socks, rolled up my pants and stepped into the water.

“Okay. I’m in the water. You happy?” I said.

“Only partially satisfied,” she said.

“Partially satisfied? I’m in the water what more--” A large wave of water hit me. I opened my eyes and Pagan was standing there holding a little plastic bucket.

“Some kid must have left it here,” she said, chuckling the whole time. I wrestled her for the bucket, causing her to fall on her butt. She was sitting down in the water now and I took the opportunity. I poured a bucket of water on her as she wailed like a small child.

“Karma,” I said. I stuck out a hand to help her up and she grasped it. Her hand was cold and wet but somehow she managed to get a good grip.

“Yes, karma,” she said and smiled.

“What?” I said. She pulled hard, causing me to fall down onto my knees and then onto my hands. My body was directly over Pagan’s and she was shaking with laughter. I laughed too, surprised at myself for falling prey to her revenge. But suddenly we were silent when we caught each other’s eye. I mulled over things to say but words couldn’t escape my lips. Water dripped down from her hair, down her face, smearing the mascara she had on down her cheek. I raised my hand and wiped it away. She smiled and looked away.

“Hey! There’s no one allowed in the fountain!” a cop shouted and flashed his light on us. We hurried out, grabbing our shoes, and ran back to Pagan’s house. We were still soaking wet as we panted in her living room.

“I think I have some of your clothes you can borrow. You keep leaving stuff when you do laundry,” she said. She tossed me a towel and a bag of my clothes. I changed in the bathroom and rubbed my hair dry.

“Hey do you want to watch a movie?” I yelled at Pagan who was down the hall in her bedroom.

“Yeah but let’s watch it in here. I’m all cozy in my bed,” she said. I walked into her room and sure enough she was all snuggled under the covers. I put a movie in the dvd player and made her scoot over. I warmed my body against hers, which was now like a human furnace. As the movie played, I could see her drifting off to sleep and snapping her neck back to attention when she caught herself.

“You tired? I could go home,” I said.

“No this is nice,” she half mumbled. I put my arm around her and she snuggled against me. She was fast asleep not long after that. I tried to watch the movie but I found myself drifting off.

“Night Pagan,” I said, kissing her forehead. As I let my eyes close, I could’ve sworn that I saw a smile on her lips.
♠ ♠ ♠
Vacation all I ever wanted. Vacation had to get away.
Sorry, got distracted.
Anywho, here's Pagan and Jesse's outfits for the dinner. That necklace I found is sooo cute. I want it.