Status: Finished

Fake Boyfriend

Going to the Chapel and We’re Going to Cause a Scene

- Jesse -

“Did you seriously go on a date with Pagan?” Braxton asked as I tied his tie.

“No. You guys were late for dinner and her date stood her up so I ate with her. We got some ice cream afterwards and watched a movie at her place,” I said, putting the finishing touches on his tie.

“Sounds like a date to me,” Craig said as he tightened his tie in the mirror.

“What exactly makes this sound like a date?” I asked.

“Well you guys ate dinner together, got dessert, and then watched a movie. That is what Danica and I did on our first date,” Braxton said.

“Braxton, you and Danica are no comparison for Pagan and I. We snipe at each other whenever we get a chance and irritate each other,” I said. My body temperate was starting to rise.

“Sounds like my parents marriage,” Braxton said.

“Plus they always say you pick on the girl you like,” Craig said. I rolled my eyes.

“I think that only applies when you’re 12 and younger. I’m going to get a drink in the kitchen. You guys want anything?” I said, holding the door open.

“No we’re good. Just think about what we said,” Craig said, adjusting his tie again.

I walked down the hall to the small kitchen near the back of the church. I knew there were some bottles of water somewhere in the fridge and the cold air was a welcome release. I stood there forever, just staring at the bottles of water, because I did what Craig had said. I was thinking about Pagan and I. Pagan and me in a relationship. Was it really as far fetched of an idea as I thought it was?

“Scoot over Lacey, you’re hogging all the cold air,” Pagan said and pushed me aside. I watched her as she let the cold air cover her body. She sighed in contentment as her skin started to form goosebumps. “I can feel you staring at me Jesse.”

“Huh?” I said, broken from my staring. She turned around, letting her back be cooled by the air.

“You’re staring at me. It’s making me nervous,” she said.

“Sorry. You look-- you look nice today,” I said. Nice way to stutter Jesse. Nice. She looked at me funny but just turned away, grabbing two bottles of water from the fridge. She passed one to me and shut the fridge. The goosebumps still remained on her arms and she sat on the counter.

“Well thanks Lacey. You look quite handsome yourself. You clean up nicely,” she said. She unscrewed the cap of her water, taking a sip but splashed a bit on her dress.

“I swear sometimes we need to get you a bib,” I said. I grabbed a paper towel and started drying the water up. It felt awkward since it had landed on her chest, but our past history indicated she wouldn’t mind. But as I looked up at her, a blush was creeping up her neck.

“Pagan we need to get--” Both of us snapped our necks towards the door where Danica stood, mouth open. I realized my hand was still on her chest and quickly withdrew it. I showed her the paper towel in my hand.

“Danica, what’s going on?” Pagan asked. I helped her slide off the counter.

“Interrupting a special moment am I?” she said.

“Jesse was just helping me get some water off my dress. We ready to start?” she asked. Danica nodded and ran out of the room. When Pagan and I got to the lobby, she was whispering to everyone. I stood in a little group with Braxton and Craig who I knew were itching to talk about what had happened.

“Well I see you took my advice to heart but you think you need to move so fast? I mean we’re in a church for fuck’s sake,” Craig said.

“You’re going to hell for that comment,” I said.

“Did you seriously have your hand on her boob?” Braxton said. I gritted my teeth and rolled my eyes.

“I was drying off some water she dripped on herself. Danica just happened to walk in on it,” I said. We got the signal to line up and Pagan looped her arm through mine, lazily spinning her bouquet around with the other.

“Looks like we’re the talk of the wedding party,” she said.

“We seriously need to get you a bib to prevent any more compromising situations,” I said.

“Duly noted. Oh, looks like we’re on,” she said and the doors opened.

The reception was already in full swing by the time we arrived. Morgan’s parents had opted for an open bar and her guests took full advantage of it. I knew I was itching to get a beer in my system. The meal was pleasant except that Pagan kept making faces at me. She stopped after getting an evil look from Morgan when picture time rolled around. Craig and Morgan shared a beautiful first dance to “Whistle Down the Wind” by Sarah Brightman. Pretty soon it was time for the bridal party dance. I joined Pagan on the dance floor as the speakers piped out “Marble Steps” by Bonnie McKee. She put her body close to mine and I held her tightly. We got some looks which caused me to roll my eyes at all of them. When “Something Stupid” by Nicole Kidman and Robbie Williams came on, she insisted we continue to dance. I spun her around the floor, stepping on her feet which just made her laugh.

As soon as the evening wore down, she hitched up her dress and jumped on my back again. I carried her out to the car and we went to my house. For some insane reasoning on Pagan’s part, she wasn’t the least bit tired and wanted to play cards. We sat across from each other in my kitchen, still in our formal wear. She was trying to bluff me.

“You’re going to lose,” I said as I rearranged my cards.

“You want to bet?” she said, eyeing me from over her cards.

“Fine. Name the price,” I said. I set my cards down on the table and watched her mull over her choices.

“You go first, I’m still thinking,” she said.

“Fine. If you lose, you have to delete that video of me singing Britney Spears,” I said.

“Oh a good one. If you lose though, which you are, you have to dance with me to any song I pick. Any,” she said.

“Didn’t I just dance with you all evening? Was I that good?”

“No you weren’t. I’m going to make you learn to dance properly. And you have to take it seriously.”

“Fine. Show me what you’ve got,” I said.

“Royal flush,” she said as she set down her cards. Damn.

“All right, teach me,” I said. She ran to the living room and searched for a cd. She put on “Let‘s Make Love” by Faith Hill and Tim McGraw. Strange choice but it was appropriate for our dancing. She led me through the instructions, a simple box step. As we went, the steps got more and more complicated.

“You think you can handle dipping me?” she said. I nodded, hesitant that it would actually work. I dipped her but I did it too low and we crashed to the ground. I fell on top of her and our bodies created a loud thump. I rolled off of her and she erupted in a loud laugh.

“I’m glad you think that was funny,” I said. I couldn’t help but laugh too as she rolled over onto her side. I wrapped my arm around her and her body quit shaking from the laughter.

“You know Danica and Morgan keep saying we should date,” she said. I was shocked at the sudden change of subject but went along with it.

“So does Craig and Braxton. You think they’re right?” I asked.

“I don’t know. I mean that dinner we had could qualify as a date. We got along, even when we were trying to drown each other in the fountain. But who are we kidding. It’s us. We nag each other, make fun of each other. There’s no way that a relationship would survive. Right?” she said. There was an eager tone to her voice.

“Well there is one way to test it,” I said.

“How?”

“Kiss me.” She laughed loudly, nervously.

“You serious?”

“Yeah. I mean if we enjoy it, they are right. We shall bow to their superior intellect. If not, we make them cower at our intelligence. You chicken Pagan?” She stood up and put her hands on her hips. I thought she was going to yell at me and walk out, but she just stood there before holding out her hand to help me up. I let her pull me up and we stood mere inches apart.

“We do this, no one finds out. The last thing we need is everyone to find out and go crazy. I can’t believe I’m going to do this,” she said.

“Me neither,” I said.

“That’s great reassurance from the guy who suggested this in the first place!” she said. I pulled her in and pressed my lips to hers. A surge ran through me as I felt her give into the kiss. Her arms which were on her side were now draped around my neck. Her fingers were trailing my hairline giving me shivers up my spine. I pulled away, panting for air.

“You like it?” I asked, still trying to get air into my lungs.

“Yes,” she said in a hushed tone and pulled me in for another kiss.