His Heartbreak, Her Daughter

Mugshot For Grandpa Charlie

It was after dinner and I had showered to be squeaky clean for the dance and now was on a five way conversation via laptop video cam. Gwen, DJ, Katy and Jeff were all making last minute confirmations about things we all already decided on. Gwen needed constant reassuring that of her nine hundred pairs of shoes she had picked the right one for tonight and that her hair wasn't too curled and... it was one long process we'd already been through twice.
"Oh my god Aly what are you doing helping us?!" Gwen nearly screamed, face right up to the camera, "You're still not dressed- And look at you're hair-!"
"Oh calm down Gweny," Jeff rolled his eyes doing up his tye, "Aly never puts a whole lot of time in her appearance and always comes out looking fine."
"It's a good quality, Natural beauty." Dj said blushing her cheeks.
"Which you have and could see without all that crap on your face." I smiled.
DJ gasped dramatically.
There was a knock on my door so I excused myself and went over to see one of the Cullen kids. I thought they had left... I suppose they had come back.
"Ah, hey- Alice right?" I said.
"Yeah that's me." She said brightly. "I heard you were going to your junior prom tonight," Her eyes wandered down taking in my still drying hair and bath robed form. "And I was wondering if I could be of any assistance to the prepping portion, I am somewhat of a hair and make up enthusist."
Her hair was in short spikes and it looked like she wore n omake up at all. Maybe a little lavender eyeshadow but... Hey, I think all the Cullens wore that... So it probably wasn't eye shadow as it was hard to believe a doctor would wear that for kicks.
"Sure." I smiled, "Come on in." I went back to my computer and said good bye to my friends, Gwen wanted reassurance I didn't need help I reassured her I was covered.
"Oh, This is a beautiful dress." Alice was at my closet door and touching my dress.
"Thanks, I got it at a vintage place." I sat on my bed and brushed out knots in my hair.
"Neat, I thought so. Fifties right?"
"Yeah. Somewhere in that. I love vintage fashion."
"Really?" Alice came over amused looking, "You like... vintage things?"
"Mhm Kids today have no style... All showing off skin and its like... Bleck." I made a face and Alice laughed.
"Well... Let's see if we can't make you into a fifties prom queen."
I smiled and she dumped her purse, it held more cosmetics and beauty products then I thought it could. Most of them still in their original packaging, I looked at her with a raised eyebrow and she just smiled and shrugged.
"I took a trip to the store recently."
"Looks like you just came back from the store and bought everything in stock." I picked up a container of expensive blue eye shadow stuff. "Whoa I know this stuff, It's expensive."
"It's okay. Girls always share makeup." She started to lay it all out neatly, quickly, plaugging in a curling iron.
"We're curling my hair?"
"Yeah!" She smiled excitedly, "I think it would look really nice don't you?"
I shrugged, "Sure."
"You aren't really into this kindof stuff are you?"
"Not really." I smiled.
She smiled back, "Thats alright, Alice is here for make up support."
"And I really appriciate it."
She started to work on my hair, First drying it some more then pinning and curling and spraying stuff to keep it all in place as we asked questions back and forth.
"So did you finish school already? Like... Are you graduated or something?" I asked.
"Yes." Alice smiled.
"Just graduated?"
"Ya, Class of twenty- five."
"And you're already out."
"We finished early, yes."
"And now you're stuck travelling to no where towns and visiting you're parents old friends."
Alice laughed, "Yeah, That's it. But that's okay. You're parents are cool."
I smiled apologetically in the mirror, "I'm sorry, I probably should have like... inviting you and your siblings like... away from my parents... Take you site seeing of the... lavish green... world of Forks."
"Nah, It's cool. Don't feel bad. You had other things to do then have to show around a bunch of strangers." She smiled.
We talked of fashion and I found myself answering alot of questions of her's more then the other way around. Even when I was complaining about the twins, she listened and told me to continue when I blushed for blabbing so much.
Alice was so easy to talk to, to get you to talk. And she had this amazing little laugh, like the sound of windchimes that made me smile everytime she released it.
In no time it was six and I was done. I dawned the old styled dress which fit like a dream on me and stood above my normal five and a half feet frame with an extra inch or so from the lighter blue heels. Alice worked her magic to make me look like a mature young woman. She curled my long hair and pulled most of it back, a few curls hungdown my back and my bangs still framed my face which had been fully makeup-fied with blue stuff and red stuff and powdery stuff.
"Oh, You look so beautiful." Alice stood back admiring her work.
"Thanks. You helped, alot." I smiled and gave her a hug, she was quick to hug me back. "Thank you Alice. You are so cool."
"My pleasure Aly." Alice murmured in my ear.
I saw lights from outside and saw Caleb's car drive in the driveway.
"He's here!" I squealed like a teenage girl, excitied for her date. Which I was, so it was okay. I grabbed my purse- Gwen had insisted I have one- and rushed downstairs just as Dad was calling Caleb in. Oh, no.
"Good Evening Mr. Black." Caleb said politely.
"Is it?" Dad said surveying him.
"I hope it is. The clouds may have come back, but I don't- or I very much hope it will not rain, myself. Creating a good night for a peaceful walk, don't you think?"
Dad looked back and then spotted me and all the tension just sort of melted away, Caleb gave a crooked smile of awe and nod of approvement. I looked to my feet in a blush, smile spread wide across my face in glee.
"You look beautiful Aly." Dad said with a smile.
"Thanks." I walked down the final steps working hard on not falling flat on my face, and stepped before Caleb. Looking up to meet his sparkling eyes.
"Beyond perfection as always, my dear." Caleb said softly crooked smile still on as he held up a pretty blue corsage.
I nearly laughed, "A corsage?"
"Yeah... I do not think it is common for junior prom over here but... I couldn't resist."
"it's fine." I smiled holding out my wrist while he attached it.
Then a camera flash went off.
"Mom!" I whinned, she stood behind her camera, beaming at me.
"What? I have to take pictures for your grandparents!"
"Let me guess, Mug shot for Grandpa Charlie?"
"You got it honey. Now enough candid- Pose a little guys!" Mom ordered and Caleb chuckled, we stood side by side and took a couple pictures, dad hung around behind mom as she was brightly smiling, he stood there frowning, glowering at the arm around my waist. Such a dad thing.