‹ Prequel: We Say Summer

We Say Summer

Six

Dani sat with Alex, their eyes making contact every now and again. It was awkward to say the least, but at least she was speaking to him again. She had missed him, she had missed him an awful lot. And there was something, even sitting with him now, that made her still miss him. He wasn't the same person that she had met last summer. He was quiet and reserved, awkward and jumpy. Had she turned him into this?

"So, how has life been then?" She said, taking a sip of her coffee. Some more camp leaders started piling into the canteen, the smell of bacon and eggs was enough to drag anybody from their beds, no matter what time in the morning it was.

"It's been... different," Alex started, choosing his words carefully. He didn't want to let on that she had made his life misery since they left each other, but he half felt she had the right to know. After all, she might have felt the same.

"Different?" Dani asked, biting her lip.

"Yeah..."

Dani raised an eyebrow, waiting for him to explain. After a few minutes of silence, she noticed he wasn't saying something. She went to open her mouth, trying to find something to say, but Alex finally bet her.

"I really missed you," he began. Dani crossed her hands over each other, listening intently. "I just wished that last summer didn't end. It was fantastic, something I've never experienced before. But it had to end, just like the summer did. And I can't help but wonder what you said is true... Whether I did just love the summer or whether I maybe..." He paused, looking up at her. She waited, her heart racing like it was on a track. Did she really want him to continue?

"Yeah....?" Dani asked, probing him to continue.

"Or maybe... I loved you?" He asked, more than said. Dani let out a quiet breath. Relived that was what he was going to say. To say the least, she knew it was coming, and she half felt the same.

"I did wonder whether it was wrong saying that you only loved the summer," Dani whispered. Alex looked up from the table, embarrassment finally clearing from his face.

"I didn't expect that answer," Alex laughed lightly. Dani nodded her head in agreement.

"I know what you mean," she replied. Alex reached out across the table, lightly touching her hand and resting his on top of hers.

"Let's make this summer another to remember?" He asked.

Dani looked up at him, her green eyes meeting with his chocolate brown. She stared a while, getting lost in the swirls of shaded browns.

"It'll take a lot to beat last summer," she started, and Alex felt his breath get stuck in his throat. He waited patiently for her to continue, something he was getting used to doing. "But let's give it another try."

______________________

"Jack! If you don't get your lazy ass out of bed, I'm going to drag you half-naked to greet this years camp!" Rian shouted, the tour bus shaking violently as he ran through to the bunks. Jack gave a small groan and rolled over, obviously not taking much notice to Rian's threat. "Jack, I'm warning you, don't ignore me! We need to go and get ready, the kids are arriving in an hour!"

"Well you go get ready then, and leave the rest of us to sleep!" Jack croaked back. He shut his eyes again, and faced the wall. Trying to drown out Rian's voice, he dragged his duvet up and over his head.

"What's going on?" A third voice said, joining Rian and Jack. Zack stood, waiting patiently for the boys to get a move on. He hated being late, it didn't matter where they went, he hated being even a second late.

"Jack won't get out of bed," Rian muttered. "You can deal with him," he continued. Jack's eyes shot open, hearing every word, and sprang up, his head hitting the top of the bunk.

"I'm moving, I'm moving!" He screamed, throwing his legs over the bed. Zack and Rian looked content with themselves and Rian turned off, walking away.

"You scared of me or something, Jack?" Zack asked, and Jack smiled weakly at his band mate.

"Nah, I just don't want to mess with the Merrick!" Jack shouted, and grabbed some clean clothes. He made his way to the bathroom, hoping to get ready in time, so Zack didn't have to do anything insane that got him kicked off the camp.
♠ ♠ ♠
Ooooooh! Camp's about to staaaart! How exciting is that? ;) I dunno whether this story is crap or not. Somethings should just stay one-shots, and I'm kinda feeling that's what this should have done...

But oh well! Let me know what you think! And also, tell me about your Halloween! I want to know what everyone got up to :)