Don't Drop Your Mask

Chapter Twelve

I woke up in the morning in an apartment much warmer than mine. But that may just have been because there was an arm around my waist. Normally, I’m pretty good at remembering my circumstances when I wake up. When I am woken up by screaming, however, not so much.

“Travis!” Charlie yelled. “Get the hell out!”

“Dude, you could have warned me!” a foreign voice yelled.

Charlie pecked me on the lips. “Good morning.”

“Good morning,” I said groggily. I should not have slept over with Charlie. Bad, bad idea. I guess now I know he’s not my masked crusader.

“Did you sleep well?”

“Very. Can I borrow a toothbrush?” I asked.

“Yeah, mine is the blue one. My brother uses the green one.”

I nodded. “So your brother is pretty pissed.” I bit my lip. Nervous habits die hard.

“Yeah, I’ll go out and talk to him. Grab some of my clothes, and when I yell ‘asshole’ make a run for it for the door. Okay?”

I nodded. “Sure thing,” I said with a sigh. Haven't I made a mess of things?

“I just don’t want my brother to go off on you.”

“I understand,” I said.

He kissed me one last time on the lips. I didn’t kiss back. I don’t think he noticed. He left the room and I started to hear voices.

“Man, is that the girl from downstairs?” I heard him. Well at least now I can hear them!

I walked back into the bedroom and opened up a random drawer. I found boxers, cool. And a t-shirt. Cool. We didn’t sleep together, but I definitely didn’t sleep in all the clothes I came over in.

“Yeah, why?”

“Dude, you know why!”

I spit out the toothpaste and went to listen a little closer.

“What? Because you’ve talked to her and heard me talk about her and have now decided you're in love with her?”

The closet incident?

“You just need to have more respect for her! Fuck! She… seems like a nice girl.” I heard them walk into the kitchen. “Keep your voice down, she probably fell back asleep.”

I tried to listen to their mumbling, but I couldn’t hear anything. I sighed.

“Look, dude, stop being such an ASSHOLE about this!”

I ripped his door open and made a sprint for the exit. I heard feet padding heavily against the floor and quickly undid the deadbolt. I didn’t even take a glance behind me as I flew down the stairs and into my apartment. I slammed my door, locked all three locks, and turned my back to it.

I slid down and all I felt was numb. It’s cold, I’m stupid, and I hate my life a little right now.

Does work care? No.
Does Charlie care? Probably not that much.
Do I have any friends I can talk to about this? Not a chance.

I closed my eyes just as my phone rang.

“Hello?” I asked, angrily.

“Whoa, did I call at a bad time? It’s Phil.”

I sighed, then forcefully said, “boyfriend problems,” and hung up.

Like I need another problem running around.
♠ ♠ ♠
Yeah. So who else is surviving midterms and torrential downpours?