Don't Drop Your Mask

Chapter Fifteen

It was my third day in the hospital, and the first day I was fully awake.

“You have a visitor,” a nurse popped in. The nurse who was checking some of my blood work in the room rolled her eyes. She was angry, but it was kind of funny.

Charlie walked in. The nurse in the room cocked her head. “Fiance?” she asked.

He shook his head, thoroughly confused. “I live upstairs. I mean, at her apartment,” he said to her. “You’re engaged?” he asked.

The nurse rolled her eyes again. “Everything is fine. Doctor says you should be able to leave tomorrow.”

I thanked her.

“Really, you have a fiancé?” he asked.

“No, the guy who called the ambulance wanted to ride with me, so he told them I was his fiancé.”

He looked angry for a minute, then sat down next to me. “That was stupid of him,” he said.

“No. I think he was just freaked out,” I said truthfully. “How did you know I was here?”

“I saw them carry you into the ambulance. They haven’t let me see you until today.”

“Oh. Thanks for coming,” I said.

“Have I been your only visitor?”

“Yeah,” I said. Technically, he’s the only person who has signed in as a visitor. So yes.

“Cool. I’ve been taking care of Turtle for you,” he said. “The landlord gave me a key.”

“Well I feel safe,” I joked. He laughed. “Thank you so much. I really owe you.”

He smiled. “Well, I didn’t think they were going to let me in today, either. I don’t have much time, I have to get home.”

“It’s alright,” I said. “Thank you so much. Again. For everything.”

“No problem,” he said, standing up. He leaned over and cautiously gave me a hug. “You’re coming home soon?”

“Tomorrow, I promise.”

“Alright, get better.”

“Thanks! See you later!”

He walked out. That was awkward. I feel kind of bad. First we kiss, then I tell him it means nothing. Then we sleep together, pretty much solely so I can get back at another guy, which is a trashy, trashy thing to do. Then, instead of telling him the truth, or at least that I really am not into him in that way, I let him leave with hope.

I am an awful human being.

I sighed. For the rest of the day I buzzed the nurse and pretended to sleep when she came in. Every once in a while I would whisper mean things to her as she walked out the door.

It really wasn’t helping with my conscience, but it was fun.
♠ ♠ ♠
I need five more readers for another star. =D

Keep commenting! I love it!

And we officially find out who Cassanova is soon. Promise!