Don't Drop Your Mask

Chapter Five

I leaned on the bar on my arm, bored. The door dinged as another customer walked in. I looked around and sighed. They only scheduled three other waiters for the day time. One didn’t show up and the other two… disappeared. I walked over.

“Hi, can I seat you?”

“Uh, yeah, table for one.”

I grabbed a menu and sat him away from some of my other tables. “Can I start you off with something to drink?”

“Yeah, scotch on the rocks.”

“Sure thing, sir.” Damn. It’s only three. He’s starting early.

I checked up on my other tables and got everything I need. I looked down at the cut on my finger and smiled.

Then I groaned. I should really give up on that boy. I got the lonely guy’s drink and served it.

“Here you go sir. Do you have anything in mind?”

“Oh, I’m starving. I just moved in to my new apartment. It’s been quite a day.”

I laughed. “Yeah? Are you new?”

He looked up at me and smiled. He has entrancing eyes. “Uh, yeah,” he said, looking away. “And I’ve had the worst time moving in here. I had to move by myself, I dropped my furniture, I cut my arm, I locked myself out, it’s just been a mess.”

“Hence the early drink?”

“Haha. Yeah. I’m… Charlie.”

“Layla.” I said and smiled. “So you moved around here?”

“Yeah. I’m a few blocks that way,” he said, pointing.

“Oh, I’m probably right near you then. There’s some really cool coffee shops up there that are open late at night. One of them has this awesome old Jazz band.”

“Oh, yeah, one of my neighbors was telling me about that.”

I nodded. “So you’re starving. Haha. What’ll you have?”

“Oh, yeah, um, I’ll just have the club. And a water.”

“Sure thing. I’ll bring that right out.”

I did my job, walked around and took care of my customers. I did okay in tips. I’ll make rent. And then I went back to take care of my lonely guy.

“You sure you don’t want anything else? We have really great Key Lime Pie.”

“No, I’m good, thanks.”

“Okay. Well here’s your check. I’ll be back to pick it up in a minute.”

“Alright. Thank you, Layla.”

I got off work at about ten. I was supposed to leave at six, but I guess the extra hours helped out. And the first four hours of my shift weren’t very busy, so it didn’t even feel like twelve hours.

I started walking home and felt a few raindrops. I groaned. I hate rain.

I heard a little groan from a box. A high-pitched groan sound. I stopped. I heard it again. I looked up, should I investigate?

I groaned. “Fine!” I said out loud. I slowly walked over to the box and peeked it open. I screamed and jumped back as something flew at me. I continued to scream as… my face was licked?

I opened my eyes. It’s a puppy!

“Awe, you don’t have a home do you?” I said. He sat on my stomach and wagged his tail. It started raining a little thicker. “Why don’t you go home with me?” I said after looking at his tag. No address. No phone number. No name.

“We’ll call you Rex.”

He growled.

“No? How about… Fido.”

He growled again.

“Well aren’t you picky.” I said, picking him up and walking towards the grocery store. “How about Turtle. I’ll call you turtle.”

He barked and started wagging his tail. He’s not too little. He’s fixed. He has the collar from his shots. The tag is on the collar. Someone just threw him out.

I grabbed a leash, a new collar, some dog food, a bed for him, some dog treats, flea stopper, and some air freshener from the store.

I grabbed my bags and my puppy on his new leash and walked home.

I introduced him to the house. I gave him a bath, which took thirty minutes and got my floor all wet. I set up his bed. I changed his collar and put some flea medicine on him. I fed him and gave him some water. It was bed time. I put him in his bed and sat next to him until he fell asleep.

I walked up to go to bed and turned down my covers. Just when I got in, I heard little puppy feet patter against my kitchen floor and into my room. He jumped onto bed with me and snuggled up next to my stomach.

I sighed. “Good night Turtle.” He licked my hand and we fell asleep.
♠ ♠ ♠
=]

You guys have no idea how much I love logging in and seeing that i have new story comments. =D you guys are so awesome!

And if you want a little explanation of the mask, i left a link and a little description in the comments for someone. Or you can let your imagination run wild if you don't like mine. =]

I'll update soon!