The Faerie Field

Chapter 2/2 (Word count: 818)

I was in a moonlit field. In the center of the field was a man. A forest surrounded the field and us. I could hear beautiful music and singing in the distance. I walked towards him to get a better look at him. His hair matched tree bark and his hair was green leaves. He was tall too. The man held out his hand which I took. When we began to dance the music and singing got louder. It continued to get louder until I could see the people making the music. The man was smiling and it made me feel nice inside. Our dancing and the music let the flower come up out of the ground and bloom. It was like something out of my fairy tales. Then everything stopped...

I opened my eyes and I was back on the floor of my new room. The furniture hadn't been brought here yet so I had to sleep in my sleeping bag. I guessed my mom had already gone to work so I just went to get breakfast. I couldn't help but think about my dream. I've always wanted to live in my stories. Unfortunately, I don't think that it would ever happen. After eating some pop-tarts I spent the morning looking through my things. I found things around the house to keep myself busy (playing with old toys, skimming over old stories, etc.) Eventually, I found myself with nothing in the house to do. I looked out the window and saw the forest. A smile appeared on my face. There was that whole forest with stuff just waiting to be discovered.

I went to the forest edge. I drew in a deep breath. Book bag, check. Lunch, check. I knew I was ready so I went forth into the forest. I walked slowly taking in my surroundings.

It wasn't long before the sun started setting. I already ate my lunch and I didn't have anything for dinner. I kept walking until I tripped over a big root. I hit my head on the way down. Everything went dark for me.

"Ziphi. Ziphia, wake up!" I felt someone shaking me. It was a girl about my age at the time. I stared at her in confusion. The girl yelled, "Holt! She's awake!"

The man from my dream came out. He looked at me and said, "Ziphia...where have you been?"

"Who's Ziphia? My name is Kassandra." I said. He hit himself in the face. Then he looked at me like I'm crazy. "No, your name is Ziphia. You know daughter of Foxglove?"

I laughed, "Foxglove is just a fictional character. Just like Zander and Laurel and Craig."

Holt and the girl gasped. He asked, "How can you talk about your mother, father, and their enemies like that?"

"Hold up. My parents?" I rolled my eyes. I heard of practical jokes, but this is ridiculous. "Alright. Someone can send me back to the real world now."

"What are you talking about, Ziphi? How come you're acting like we're strangers?" the girl asked.

"Because I don't know you. Well, I've seen him before, but not you." I answered. An older women and man came in and hugged me. Something about them felt familiar.

"Lady Foxglove and Lord Zander. How are you?" The girl asked. They answered fine and they started telling me a bunch of random things. They tried to convince me that I was their daughter, a faerie, and that I was a princess. I didn't believe them...until they showed me a picture of me at about age seven. I couldn't argue either. I can't remember anything from when I was eight and earlier.

"I don't know what to say." I said. They told me to stay with them.

I weighed the options. In the humans world I was an outcast. Here I was a princess who would get anything I wanted. It didn't take me long to choose. I wasn't going to stay.

My mom from the human world came out. "You can't come home with me. I was merely helping a couple friends out by keeping you safe until you gained your abilities back. If you come back to the human world you won't be able to find me. So just stay here with your parents."

She left after telling me that. She just left. I cried. That's all she cared for me all those years just to help Foxglove and Zander out. It's so cruel. I had no choice to stay then. I remained in the faerie realm as Princess Ziphia.

I helped plants all over our kingdom grow. I remained upset about my human mom's words for years. I waited and waited for a time when my kingdom was attacked. I'm still waiting and I will. Now I'm only thirty. That's like fifteen in faerie years so I'm still a teenager. I act like an adult though.