Status: REALLY SLOW. Sorry about that, but I don't have time to write. Message/comment if there are mistakes in spelling/ grammar and so forth, please.

Forever or Never?

Field

I slowed to a walk as I entered La Push a few days later. I walked into the small store and laughed as atie attacked me, Jordan following her slowly.
“What are you doing here, Jordan?” I asked as he put his large arm over Catie’s shoulder.
“Hanging out with my girl.” Jordan said smiling.
“Your girl, huh?” I asked, remembering the vision Edward had told me about.
“Yeah. My girl.”
“Lovely.” I sighed. “Do you know where Seth is? He usually finds me if I’m on the rez for an extended amount of time. This would be considered an extended amount of time.”
“He went to our house to find you.” Jordan said. I watched his arm fall from Catie’s shoulder and his fingers entwine with hers.
“And when did that happen?” I asked sternly, motioning to their hands.
“Geez, Aunt Mats, you don’t need to be protective. And it happened last night.” Catie smiled up at Jordan.
“Lovely. Well, at least yours isn’t complicated.” Catie pulled her hand out of Jordan’s grasp and gave me a comforting hug. “Oh. News you can use, Catie.”
“Oh, Catie asked, cocking her head to one side.
“Your cousin Brooke is moving up here in about a week.”
“Brooke?”
“Your grandma’s half-brother’s son’s daughter. She’s about your age.”
“OK, how do I not know her?”
“Because her parents are biologists and they’ve lived in Antarctica her entire life. Their grant for studying penguins is up and they have to move back to the States.”
“How did I wind up not moving with them?”
“Because I claimed to be a close family friend, and your grandma’s half-brother had a different last name and the courts didn’t have time to find that you still have living relatives. I claimed that I knew who you were close to you and I knew we were moving up here for our next move, so I pulled a couple strings and found Quil and Claire and had the courts ask them to adopt you.” I smiled sheepishly.
“Ok. Fine. Whatever.” I turned around as the door opened and watched Emmett walk in with an angry look on his face.
“Where the hell is Seth?” He blurted out.
“He went to our house to find Mateja. About the time she got here. At least he said he was looking for Mats. He looked too angry to actually have been looking for her.” Jordan said, walking around Catie and standing in front of her in case Emmett blew up. Jacob walked into the store and stood next to Emmett.
“Crap, guys. Seth just went out to kill Emmett…” he trailed off when he saw both twins standing in the small shop.
“And Emmett just showed up here coming to kill Seth.” I told him. “I hate being in the middle of this.”
“I was not going to kill him!” Emmett declared. I looked at him and he shrugged his shoulders. “Just mortally wound him.” I shook my head trying to figure out what to do.
“God, I don’t know what to do with you two. Neither of you will be happy if I’m with the other one, and I can’t be somewhere in the middle. And I’m going to wind up hurting one of you eventually, and then the other one’s gonna hate me, or try to kill the one I pick. I have an idea. Jake, get Seth. Emmett, you said something about a clearing where you guys play baseball, take me there. Jake, have Seth meet us there. And bring no one. Keep the pack away from there for today.”
“Sure, sure.” Jacob nodded and walked out of the shop.

I followed Emmett into the clearing as Seth walked in the other side. They looked at each other and charged. I jumped between them and threw my arms out. They were both in mid stride and weren’t touching the ground when my arms hit their chests, so they flew backwards a couple feet.
“STOP!” I screamed at them, turning my head from one side to the other. “You can’t hurt each other without hurting me! How many times do I have to tell you that? And then you go and try to kill each other and I’m just lucky I showed up in the middle when I did.”
“Sorry.” They both mumbled.
“There’s no sorry about it, either you care about me or you don’t, there’s no middle. You can’t hate each other and not hate me, If you hate each other, then you might as well hate me. And I don’t think I can hurt either of you. It would hurt me too much and I will have to eventually. It will come down to eventually. I just have that feeling. I’m going to have to choose and I don’t want to. I wish I could have both of you, but I know that’s impossible.” If I could cry I would be. I looked at them and quickly ran to the other end of the field to look at them side by side.
I looked at Emmett’s hard skin and rubbed my fingers against my forearms, imagining they were his. Silk against silk. I remembered the feeling of his lips against mine and the rush it gave me, making me want more.
I looked at Seth’s dark skin and rubbed my hands the wrong way against the corduroy. I remembered the way his body warmed me up and made me feel almost warm for the first since 1649. I felt his warm lips against my neck and rolled my shoulder back. I remembered the smell of pine needles that he carried around with him and inhaled deeply, catching the scent as the wind blew.
I turned on my heel so I wasn’t facing them and took a deep breath. I caught a whiff of a vampire scent. More than on vampires’ scent. I ran backwards carrying a bit of scent with me. Both Emmett and Seth sat straight up, Seth phasing in the process. Emmett stood in a crouch with Seth standing next to him. The scent grew stronger and Seth and Emmett moved in front of me protectively. I pushed my way between them and stood in front of them as two vampires walked into the clearing.
I watched as Demetri and Alec, a vampire I hadn’t seen since the last time I was in Volterra. I laughed as he came forward, obviously he was in much greater power than Aro had originally believed he could be.
Alec.” I nodded to them politely. “What brings you to this corner of the world?”
“Ah, yes…” Alec started. They walked forward and stopped in front of our little group.