Check Yes, Jennifer

Run Baby, Run

"Mom, we weren't even doing anything." I tried to explain calmly, but she wouldn't listen. She never did. See, my mom just caught me sneaking my boyfriend, Ronnie in the house while she was gone, and when she got home, we both freaked out and didn't know what to do so Ronnie hid in my closet. But of course my mom found him.

"Jennifer, I don't give a shit what you do anymore, okay? Just go to your room. And give me your purity ring." she demanded. I stared at her shocked. So she doesn't want me to sneak boys in my room, -wait scratch that, he's not just a boy, he was my boyfriend since freshmen year and now we're seniors- but now she's going to take my purity ring away from me? If she takes it away I might as well be doing something with Ronnie.

"Whatever, fuck you I don't need it anyway." I said, taking my purity ring off and throwing it on the ground. My mom looked taken aback and just stared at me.

"I will not just stand here and listen to you speak profanities at me!" she exclaimed.

"Oh yeah? Then sit down and listen to me speak profanities." I retorted. I hated how she would act like the perfect Christian mom.

"You know what, Jen? It's those kinds of attitudes you give that made your dad kill himself. You were nothing but a mistake." she spat, every word dripping with hate.

I shook my head. This is the day I've been waiting for; my mom finally admitting she hated me. She was so fake around her friends, pretending she loved me, but when it's just the two of us? Let's just say where is the love.

"Okay, Gina. I'll go to my room now." I said simply.

She looked at me. "What did you call me?"

I laughed. "You heard me. Gina; it's what I'll be calling you from now on because you are definitely not my mother." I said before turning my back on her, leaving her speachless as I made my way upstairs to my room.

I sighed as I slammed my door and locking it. I wish I could just get out of here... but I can't. I don't have a place to stay, a job, nothing.

That's when I heard something tapping on the window.

I walked over and saw Ronnie with Max throwing... skittles at my window. I laughed and opened it, feeling the cool breeze hit my slightly pale skin.

"Come with us to a party!" Max yelled. I shushed him.

"Max, my mom is downstairs." I tried to whisper yell. He let out an ohhh.

"Come with us to a party!" he whisper yelled now. I laughed and shook my head, looking at Ronnie.

"It'll be a hell lot better if you were there." he said with a smile. I couldn't help but smile; this was the man I've been in love with for three years now.

"I can't. I just told my mom off and if I even tried to sneak out, I'll be grounded til I'm fifty." I said with a frown.

"Then leave her!" Max yelled. Ronnie punched Max's arm for being too loud, and Max mumbled a sorry.

I rolled my eyes. "It's not as easy as it sounds. Just leave you guys, it's starting to rain."

"I won't go until you come outside." Ronnie said with a half smile. I shook my head and smiled. "So come with us. You can stay with me or Max, whichever one you want to. I'll keep tossing rocks at your window," he threatened playfully once he saw that I was going to refuse.

I laughed. "They're skittles, Ronnie." I corrected him.

"Same difference, point is; run away. Your mom can't keep us apart forever, and she should know that." he said. He had a point.

I told him to wait there as I walked to my closet and gathered all of my clothes. I threw the bag that held all my clothes out the window, and I heard a thump. I looked out to see Max laying on the grass with my bag on top of him. "I'm okay!" I heard him yell.

As I was tying my shoes, I heard my mom walking up the stairs. "Jennifer, who are those two boys outside? It better not be Ronnie and his friend." she threatened as she got closer to me door. She tried to open it, but it was locked. "Jennifer, open this door right now."

"No." I simply said.

I walked over to my window and heard my mom walk away and come back. "Jennifer, I'm going to open this door and when I do, you're never getting it back!" she yelled as she started to unlock it with tools.

"Jump!" Ronnie yelled.

"All the way down there?!" I yelled, and he laughed.

"Okay, I didn't realize it was that far. But try to climb." he said, and I glanced down both sides of the window before grasping a vine and making certain that it was sturdy and started to climb down.

I reached the end but there was still a few feet enough to make me nervous about dropping. “Fall into my arms on the count of three.” Ronnie said softly. I just bit my lip before nodding. “1…”

“2…” I whispered.

“3” I let go and almost expected to hit the ground but instead found myself in Ronnie's arms like he promised. “I wouldn’t let you fall.” he said with a goofy grin.

I smiled and rolled my eyes. “I know.”

He set me down carefully and took my hand. “Let’s go.”

I nodded then looked up at my window. My mom was there, sticking her head out. "Jennifer, if you dare leave, I swear to God you will never be allowed to come back, ever. Once your little boyfriend leaves you, where are you going to stay? I know you have your keys so I'll be changing your locks that way you can never come back." she threatened angrily.

"She can change the locks, but don't let her change your mind." Ronnie said to me. I nodded as we made our way to his car.

With Ronnie behind the steering wheels, and Max in the back seat, everything felt right.

"Where are we going?" I asked, noticing that we weren't heading anywhere near Ronnie or Max's house.

"Downtown for some fun to cheer you up. And the view from here is getting better with you by my side." he said with a smile. I smiled back; I could get used to this.