Who Knew

Worried

She had never ran so fast in her entire life. If she tried to slow down, then Jacob would drag her forward. Soon she was standing on Emily's porch, breathing in heavily, trying to fill her lungs with air once again. Jacob, Sam, and Quil were all talking quickly to each other.

"We need to go now!" Sam said in his strong Alpha voice.

In that moment Piper knew something was wrong. It all clicked for her. The howling from the forest. The look on Jacob's face, and the need for them to get back to Sam so quickly. She watched as Sam kissed Emily on the cheek, and Quil handed little Claire back to her.

"I'll be back." Jacob said, walking towards Piper, "Stay here. Do not leave Emily's house. Okay?"

She nodded her head, and then he took off running towards the forest. She had never been so scared in her entire life. Something was very wrong. "What's going on?" She asked Emily who was balancing Claire on her hip.

"I'll be right back." Emily said, as she took Claire inside. She placed the child down for a nap, and then returned to the front porch with Piper. "Did you hear the howl?" Emily asked.

Piper nodded her head.

"Well, they howl when something is wrong. . . One of the others who was patrolling must have found something."

"Like what?" She asked, wondering what they could have found.

Emily sighed, "Probably a vampire. . . I'm just hoping it's a Cullen who traveled too far across the line."

"A vampire?" Piper asked, kind of shocked. "Em, my brother is out there! Jake's out there! Sam! We've got to do something!"

Emily frowned, "I know how you're feeling, Piper. There is nothing we can do. They are trained for this, made for this. Don't worry about them. Soon they'll be back."

"I need to go home. . ." Piper mumbled.

"Jake said stay here. . ."

"But my mom will come home and not know where I'm at or where Paul's at."

"Why not phone her from work and tell her you two are staying over here?"

Piper nodded her head, and walked inside. She used Sam's phone to call her mother at work. She explained that Emily and Sam had rented a few movies and that she and Paul would both probably stay the night. She hung up the phone feeling slightly guilty for lying to her mother.

"How long will they be gone?" Piper asked.

Emily came into the living room and sighed, "Maybe a couple of hours. . ."

"Hours?" Piper sighed, "I'm really worried. . ."

Emily frowned, "You just got to calm down, Piper. Everything will be alright."

"I'm worried about Jake. . ." She admitted, "and my brother."

"I'm worried about all of them. But trust me, they'll be fine. You wanna take a nap?"

Piper nodded her head, and Emily showed her to a room that they had yet to redecorate. It just had a couch inside with a television. They sometimes used it when one of the guys crashed at their place. She grabbed Piper a blanket and pillow. She kissed the young girl on the forehead, and tucked some of her golden hair behind her ear, "Don't worry, Piper. They will be fine. I promise." Emily said, and watched Piper nod her head.

Jacob and the rest of the pack patrolled through the woods in hopes of finding the vampire they had caught scent of earlier. Paul had assured them that it wasn't a Cullen. Jacob was very angry that a vampire could possibly be near the reservation. He was scared for his people, but he was more scared because Piper was there. He would never let anyone touch her.

"Damn right no vampire will touch her." Paul hissed, reading his thoughts.

"No one is getting touched." Sam told both of them, "Let's run one more lap around as a group. I think they may be gone now though."

They ran another time around the treaty line, and then Sam, Quil, and Jacob all had the rest of the night off. The others would howl if they needed anything.

"Jacob." Paul said, before Jacob turned back into his human form.

"Yeah?"

"Take care of my sister."

Jacob let Paul know that nothing would happen to her, and then he along with Quil and Sam returned back to the place where their shorts hang. They phased back, and slipped on the shorts they had been wearing earlier in the day. The three of them then started back towards Sam's house. Jacob didn't know if Piper listened to him and stayed at Emily's or not. But if she didn't, then he was going to find her.

Sam entered the house first, and saw Emily sleeping on the couch in the living room. It was only a bit after six in the afternoon. She had probably just laid down for a nap.

Sam gently woke her up, and she smiled. She let Quil know Claire was sleeping in their bedroom, and told Jacob that Piper was sleeping in the spare room. He quickly made his way down the small narrow hallway, and opened the door. Inside he found his sleeping beauty. He didn't want to wake her, but he had saw the look of fear on her face earlier. He needed to let her know that everything was okay. He gently moved a lock of hair away from her face, and then watched as she stirred.

Slowly, her eyelids darted up, and her blue eyes were revealed. She leaned up, "Jacob?" She asked, in a sleepy voice.

He smiled, "I'm right here."

"Are you okay?"

"I'm fine."

"and my brother?"

"He's okay. He's patrolling."

She smiled, and then flung her arms around Jacob's neck, "I was so worried." She murmured against his neck.

He moved his hand up and down her back, slightly tickling her. "Everything is fine." He said, and then moved away from her.

"Are you going home?" She asked.

He nodded his head, "I need to go check in with my dad."

She pouted, "Will you come back?"

"Here?" He asked.

She nodded, "I'm staying here the night. . . I already called my mom."

He smiled, "I'll come back then." He said, pressing his lips against her forehead. "Try to get some rest, and I'll be back before you know it."
♠ ♠ ♠
Image