Who Knew

Drugs

Weeks passed and things just kept getting even more strange around the Parker house. Piper noticed Paul was being very distant from her, and was sneaking out more and more. She had caught him coming in at all hours of the night. Their mom didn't notice as much since she worked long shifts at the hospital making sure ends met. Things had been rough since the passing of their father, but Susie tried her best to give Paul and Piper everything they needed.

Piper walked into the living room and took a seat beside her brother on the couch. He was watching some sort of sports show. It really didn't get her attention, but she was hoping they could talk about some things. School was ending this week, and summer was beginning. She just didn't want to drift away from Paul. He was one of her best friends.

"Hey Paul. . ."

Paul stopped watching the television and turned towards his sister. Her blue eyes shimmered with wonder. He smiled, "Yeah, Pip?" He said, feeling as if he could handle a conversation between the two of them. He had been avoiding conversations with his mom and sister. He didn't want to, but until he got his temper under control, he wanted to. Sam had explained what he had done to Emily, and Paul didn't want to take any chance of losing that kind of control with his mom and sister.

"How come you've been so distant? Did I do something?" She asked quietly, and with a frown on her lips.

He shook his head, "I'm just going through some changes right now."

"You know I'm here for you if you need me. . ."

He nodded his head. It would be so much easier to be a shape-shifter if he could talk to Piper about it. He and his sister had always shared everything, and now here he was with a deep dark secret. "I know you are Pip, and I'm here for you." He said. She smiled, and then pulled him into a hug. He chuckled, "Love you, Pip."

"Love you too, Paul."

Paul was going to ask his sister if she possibly wanted to go hang out by the beach since they hadn't hung out in awhile, but before he had a chance to pop the question, the phone started ringing. He reach over and answered it.

"Hello?"

"Paul, It's Jared. . . We need to go to Jacob's house. . . Billy just called, something set him off."

"Okay, I'll be right there." Paul said, hanging up quickly.

He looked at his sister and frowned, "I gotta go. Sam needs me."

"What for? Could I help with anything?" She asked.

Paul shook his head no, and then stood up. He was walking towards the door when Piper grabbed his arm.

"You're not on drugs or anything, right? Nothing I should be worried or scared about?"

Paul smiled, "I swear to you. . . I'm not doing drugs or anything you should. . ." He then thought about it, and shut his mouth, "I'm not doing drugs, okay? I gotta go." He said.

Piper nodded her head and allowed her brother to leave the house. She sighed, feeling something was wrong with him. She decided to just put those thoughts in the back of her mind. There was only a couple of days left of school before summer finally arrived, and she couldn't wait to have no responsibility.

Paul met up with Jared, Sam, and Embry at Jacob's house. Billy was standing outside in his wheelchair, with a look of horror on his face.

"I'd never witnessed it before. . ." Billy said, "He's still. . . He's still in his form." He said, his voice shaking.

"I'll go phase." Sam said, "Embry you too."

Sam and Embry rushed off into the woods, and just minutes later, they returned in their wolf forms. It was odd seeing the two wolves go through the tiny front door of the Blacks home. Paul walked inside and starred at Jacob in his wolf form. His fur was russet colored, and he was almost as big as Sam.

Paul stood against the wall for over an hour before they finally got Jacob calmed down enough to phase back. Once Jacob finally returned to human form, Embry tossed him a pair of shorts, and he pulled it up on his nude form, clearly wanting answers now that he could communicate with the guys.

"What the hells wrong with me?" Jacob asked.

"You know the legends?" Embry said, "Well they are all true Jake."

"You can't be serious!"

"He's telling the truth."

Jacob shook his head, and buried his face in his hands, "I can't believe this! I'm some sort of monster! A freaking wolf!"

The boys spent the next five hours explaining everything to Jacob, and letting him in on everything that was going on. He wasn't happy with the fact that he couldn't tell anyone about this secret. He wanted desperately to tell Bella Swan.

"I need to tell Bella."

"You can't."

"Unless of course, you imprint." Jared said.

Jacob raised an eyebrow, "Imprinting isn't for everyone though." He said, remembering what Sam had just explained to him about imprinting earlier.

"It seems like it's more common than old legends say though. Theirs five of us now, and Jared and I have already imprinted." Sam explained.

"So, what are you saying? I'm only allowed to tell the girl I imprint on? What if I never imprint? What if I imprint on someone I hate?"

"Don't think about imprinting." Sam said.

"This is stupid!" Jacob complained, "I don't want to be a wolf. . . I don't want to be a protector."

"It's in your blood, Jacob." Billy said, wheeling his chair into the house.

Jacob groaned, clearly not enjoying his new life.
♠ ♠ ♠
Image