Who Knew

Breaking The News

It was the day before Jacob's birthday, and Piper was wrapping his gift. She and Haylie had went and into town and she found him a new tool set. She figured since he was always tinkering around on cars in his free time, that the gift would come in handy. She chewed on her bottom lip as she waited for her mother's weekly routine call. She was going to break the news to her mom about her pregnancy.

The ringing of the phone made her stomach do a flip flop. She sighed as she walked over and picked it up. Her mother's cheery voice flooded her ears, and she allowed her to ask many questions about school and talk about New York before she dropped the bomb on her. She was just glad her mom seemed like she was in a good mood.

"Mom, I have to tell you something."

"What's wrong?" Susie asked, noticing the sadness in Piper's voice, "Baby, tell me what's wrong. You know I'll be there no matter what."

Piper began crying. She really wanted her mom to be there for her, but she also didn't want her mom to come back home. She loved New York, and shouldn't have to leave just because Piper was now pregnant.

"Did something happen to Paul?"

"No."

"Have you done something at school?"

"No."

"Is there drugs involved?"

"No."

"Piper Parker tell me right now what's wrong."

"I'm. . . I'm. .pregnant, mom."

"You're pregnant?" Susie asked.

It took her mother a few minutes before she was able to actually form another sentence. Piper had tears streaming down her cheeks as her mother began to discuss this with her. Susie didn't pester her on how it happened, or whose baby it was. She already knew it was Jacob's, and it was pretty obvious how it happened.

"Are you okay?" Her mom asked.

"I'm scared, but, I think everything is going to be okay." Piper admitted honestly.

"Did you guys plan this?"

"No, mom. We were being careful, I promise, but. . ." She felt so embarrassed admitting this to her mom, "The condom broke, and. . ."

"I understand, Piper. No need for explanation. Have you talked to anyone else?"

"Just Haylie, and Paul. Well of course Jacob."

Susie sighed, and knew that her daughter needed her, "I'll come back home."

"Mom, no! I want you to stay there. You love it there. I can handle things here. I just need to know you don't hate me."

"I could never hate you, Piper. Things happen, and sometimes they happen for a reason. Am I happy about you being pregnant so young? No, but we will deal with it. Do you want me to come home?"

"No, mom. I just, I do want you here for the delivery though."

"Of course. Have you made an appointment?"

Susie was well aware of how mature Piper was, and knew she could manage all of this. Piper and her mom talked for awhile longer, and Susie supported Piper and told her that everything was going to be okay. Piper felt a lot better when she hung up the phone. It felt good to have the support of her mother. Now the only person they needed to tell was Billy, and she assumed Jacob was handling that tonight.

Jacob sighed, as his father looked at him without speaking a word. He had just broke the news of Piper's pregnancy to Billy, and he hadn't said anything. The elderly Black shook his head, and asked Jacob what he was thinking.

"You two aren't even seventeen!"

"I'll be seventeen tomorrow, Dad!"

"Jacob, do you know how much responsibility this will add to your life?"

"I know."

"You don't have a job."

"I'm going to get one at the garage. I've already talked to Jared's dad about it."

"What about when the baby gets here? Whose going to take care of it while you and Piper attend school?"

"I don't know, Dad."

"And what about poor Piper! Have you thought about how much this is going to affect her!"

"I've thought about it, yeah. But what can I do? She's already pregnant!"

Billy sighed. He nodded his head. He didn't expect to become a grandfather this early, but he was sort of glad. He had always wanted a grandchild, and now he would have one. He never knew when he would leave this earth, and being a grandfather was an experience he wanted to have before he left it.

"I'll help you out."

"Dad, you don't have to. I got myself in this mess."

"Don't tell me I'm not helping. That's my grand daughter or son you're talking about. I am helping."

Jacob smiled, and hugged his dad. He went into his room to call Piper and tell her how well Billy took the news, he was only hoping Susie took the news just as well.
♠ ♠ ♠
Image