Letters From Jack

Mirror

After being calmed down by JIm Gordon himself, she was finally walking down the streets towards her vehicle. Most people left as soon as it was safe, but she stayed around a bit, to shocked to even move. She arrived to her car, and opened the door still in her zombie state. She started up the car and drove towards her apartment. So many emotions was rushing through her. Fear. Shock. Confusion. She didn't know why the man with the painted face took her locket.

The Joker arrived back at his hideout and didn't say a word. He slung the door open and hunched his way inside, the locket in his hand. He slammed his bedroom door and then starred down at the golden locket in his hand, which was now broken due to his fit of rage. He turned it over yet again and starred down at the initials carved on the back. He wasn't insane. It was her, and this was the locket he had gave her so many years ago.

He didn't know what to think, what to feel. He had thought he would never see her again. She didn't want anything to do with him. Why was she in Gotham? Better yet, why was she in Gotham wearing the locket he had gave her? He couldn't him but to remember back to the vivid memories he had of her just a few weeks before he had lost her. They were in the park, and he was pushing her on the swing. Her giggled filled his ears, and he stopped her, and walked around until he was looking down in her stunning blue eyes. She smiled up at him, and that's when he promised her that he would always be there no matter what. Promised he would love her forever, and no one but her. She had also promised him the same thing that day.

He had only broke half of his promise. He hadn't been there, but that wasn't his fault. She was the one who wanted him out of her life, and because he loved her so much, he allowed her to go. He never stopped loving her, and he knew he never would.

The question remained though, why was she here now? Why now after seven years? He didn't understand it. He didn't know if he wanted to understand it. When he lost Zoey, he also lost his sanity. He was so depressed and heart broken from her departure, that it caused many strains on his other relationships. Including the already bad relationship with his father. He tore himself away from his past before it brought up memories he didn't wish to relive.

He placed the locket down on his night stand and then walked into the bathroom. With a dirty wash cloth, he slowly began to remove the cheap paint from his face. Once his face was clear of any paint, he starred into the broken mirror. He saw what a monster he was. His face was scarred, and his eyes showed no remorse for the crimes he had committed. He felt nothing towards the people he had murdered.

He starred into the mirror once again, and then saw a different reflection looking back at him. This time it was his eighteen year old self. He had no scars present on his face, and his eyes were filled with a different emotion. Love.

He looked away and then turned on the water. He waited for it to turn from brown to clear, and then splattered it on his face. After he felt slightly refreshed he walked out of his bathroom and back into the bedroom. He began taking off his coat, and then tie when he heard a knock on his bedroom door. He was in no mood for talking, nor was he in the mood for questions.

"Go. Away." He said with authority in his voice. The knocking stopped, and he could hear foot steps trailing down the hallway.

Zoey couldn't sleep. She kept tossing and turning, and every time she closed her eyes she saw the glowing white face, and the crimson smile. She also saw those deep brown eyes. They were the only thing about the face that made her calm. She felt like she was having a nightmare until she locked eyes with him, then all the fear faded away and she felt whole again. She tossed the covers off her legs, and then walked out of her bedroom and into her living area. She knew sleeping was out of the question, so she decided to use her time in hopes of convincing herself that the "Joker" was nothing to be scared of.

She sit down on her couch, and placed her laptop on her lap. She turned it on and waited for it to load. It didn't take long before it was alive and ready for use. She opened up her windows, and then went to the popular search engine google. From there she typed in key words such as 'Gotham' and 'Joker' in hopes of finding something worth reading about.

Several topics came up, and she read over each article with interest. One article she read was very informative. He was not only called the Joker, but also the article mentioned other nick names such as "Clown Prince of Crime", and "Harlequin of Hate". She thought they were just as bad as the Joker. She then continued reading and found out he was known for that evil laugh. Several articles described him as a "Psychopathic, mass murdering, schizophrenic with zero empathy." She then found a few other tidbits about him that caught her interest. He was believed to be around twenty five to twenty seven years old. He doesn't care about himself at all, meaning he probably doesn't take care of himself when it comes down to hygiene. He also preferred knives over guns.

She continued reading on and then found one thing that defiantly intrigued her. It was a list of stories, that he had told regarding his scars. The website had four official stories listed. One about a drunken father. One about a mother. One about a freak accident. One about a girlfriend. She read the first story about the drunken father, and decided she had enough. She couldn't stomach to read the rest of them. She didn't even know if they were the truth or just something made up by a mad man. She decided to just close the laptop. Clearly she wasn't convincing herself that he wasn't scary. If anything she had just made herself even more scared of the clown.

She ran her fingers through her hair, and then closed the laptop and picked up the remote for the television. She turned the television on, and then pulled a spare blanket she had laying on the couch over her legs. She flipped through the channels hoping for something to catch her eye. One thing did, however it was something she really didn't want to watch. But yet she couldn't take her eyes off the screen.

"The Joker yet again made another appearance tonight. He decided to crash millionaire Bruce Wayne's penthouse party. He intimidated a few individuals. Guns were shot, and he also got very close to a female. He ripped her necklace off, and then took off through a side door. It's very unusual behavior for the clown prince of crime, but we have a feeling that he has a reason behind it. Until next time Gotham. . ."

She turned the television off and groaned. She had been mentioned on the Gotham news. Not her name or anything, but the people who were at the party would know it was her. She felt stupid for coming here. She thought about packing up all of her things and just going home, but then she remembered the reason why she was here.

Jack Napier.

His name made her smile. She just wished she had more information about him. She thought back to her conversations with his grandmother and frowned. Why couldn't she had just gave her his information instead of just pushing her off to the side and telling her to get away from Gotham? What exactly was Susie Napier hiding?

In that moment, Zoey decided that she would find out what she was hiding. She was not leaving Gotham until she met Jack Napier. She didn't care how long it took, she was going to find him.
♠ ♠ ♠
Image