Letters From Jack

Breakfast Talk

The Joker got up early the next morning so he could go do an errand. He left his face clear of any make-up, and dressed in a pair of jeans, and a black hooded sweat shirt. He placed the hood over his fading green hair, and then walked out of the hide out. His goons were sleeping, and probably wouldn't even roll over until this afternoon. He got in his own personal vehicle, which happened to be large black Dodge truck. He drove down the streets of Gotham, listening to the radio. Anytime he went out in town without his make-up on he felt like Jack again. It was almost as if he was living two separate lives. He didn't adventure out as Jack much, only when time called for it.

He parked the vehicle about a block away from his desired location. He then grabbed a white envelope from the passenger seat, and stepped out of the truck. He made sure his hood was pulled over his head, hiding his scars away from the world. He tucked the envelope in his pocket as he walked down the side walk. He was glad people were still in the bed. It was Saturday morning, and most people didn't have work. Soon he arrived at his destination.

He starred at the place where he had so many memories. The swing on the front of the porch where he had actually gave Zoey her locket. He shook his head, and then slowly began walking through the fence. He was hoping Susie was still sleeping, so he could drop the envelope off without any problems. He placed it on the swing, and then started to walk off the porch, however he heard the opening of the door behind him. He didn't turn around. He hoped she wouldn't call for him.

"Jack. . ." Her voice trailed off. She sounded sicker than the last time he had talked to her. He hadn't actually spoke with her in nearly a year. He had just dropped money off and left. She knew he was the Joker, and he tried not to be around her much. Slowly he turned around and allowed his eyes to burn into hers. That was defiantly a trait he inherited from her.

"Come in for breakfast." She said, and then walked inside the house.

He thought about just turning around and walking away, but he knew he couldn't do that. He loved this woman with everything in him. She had always been there for him. He knew she was deathly ill, and possibly might be on her last leg, so he decided to go ahead and have breakfast with her. He walked back up on the porch, picked up the envelope, and then went inside. He looked around the house and saw pictures of himself from his younger years scattered on the walls. He followed the scent of bacon and found himself standing against the door frame of the kitchen.

"It's not good for you to be slaving over a stove like that." He stated, taking the hood off his head.

She turned around, adjusted her oxygen tubes, and then smiled at him. "I have to eat some how."

"You knew I was coming." He stated.

"I had a feeling."

"Let me finish it." He said, walking over and taking the fork out of her hand. He flipped the bacon over and watched as she slowly walked over and took a seat at the kitchen table. Her old wrinkly hands fumbled with her night gown a bit as she looked up at him. "Something is on your mind."

"Nothing is on my mind." He said, taking the bacon out and placing it in a bowl.

"You saw her." Susie whispered.

He looked over at her, and froze. How did she know? Did Susie know Zoey was back in town. He looked at his grand mother, and then decided to not say anything. He picked up the plate and walked over to the table. "You want toast?" He asked.

"You did, didn't you?" She asked.

"Toast?" He asked yet again.

"She came here too." Susie said.

He couldn't help but to be interested in what she was now saying. "She came here?" He asked, taking a seat beside his grand mother.

She nibbled slightly on the piece of bacon. She then coughed, "A couple of days ago. . . She was looking for you."

He laughed bitterly, "She saw me and didn't say anything."

Susie frowned, "Because she doesn't remember, Jack."

"What do you mean she doesn't remember?"

"She has no clue who we are, who anybody in this town is. . . When she had that accident she lost her memory of life before that. Claire had kept everything from her. Zoey told me she found a shoe box that contained letters, cards, the locket and ring. When she questioned her mother about you, at first she was lied to, and then finally over heard the truth, and then found everything out. She came here directly after finding out about you."

"That doesn't explain the letter." He mumbled. He had no clue she had lost her memory. He just knew that she typed him a letter stating that she wanted nothing to do with him anymore. She blamed him for the accident.

Susie shook her head, "I showed her the letter."

"YOU HAVE IT?" He yelled.

"Calm down." She stated, "I do have it, and I have every other letter she ever wrote you."

"You said you burned them."

"I lied." She said, and then opened her mouth to explain, "I knew you would want them again one day. As I was saying, I showed her the letter. She didn't write it. Her mother did. Hell, it wasn't even written, Jack. It was typed."

"How does she know Claire done it?"

"Because Claire tried to keep Zoey away from you."

He shook his head, but believed everything that was being said. Zoey's mother never liked him. She tried to find every reason to keep them apart. She had even told him that if he came near their daughter once he turned eighteen that she would call the police on him. He shook his head, "I should have known Zoey wouldn't have said those things." He stated shaking his head.

He looked back up, and watched as his grandmother coughed yet again.

"Where is she?" He asked.

"I don't know. In Gotham. . . unless she listened to my advice."

"Your advice?"

"I told her to leave. I told her you wasn't the same anymore. You're dangerous now. Look at yourself."

He knew what she was saying. He was actually calm during this visit to Susie, but in the past he had lashed out at her if she tried to have a civil conversation with him about being the Joker.

"I'll see you later." He said, dropping the envelope on the table.

"Jack, don't hurt her. She didn't mean any of this." Susie pleaded as he walked out of the house.
♠ ♠ ♠
Image