Letters From Jack

Hideout

She knew what she was about to do was stupid. She should have just let him go. But no, here she was following slowly behind him. She had watched him climb inside a truck, and then made her way over and climbed inside her vehicle. Now she was slowly following behind him. She didn't know if he was aware she was following him or not. She didn't really care. She just needed to talk to him. The conversation between them was not over. She needed to apologize for what her mother did. She needed. . . to know why he turned out this way.

She looked out her window, and was shocked to see how run down the area around her was. She saw a homeless person dressed in rags pushing an old buggy down the street. The buildings looked as if they were going to crumble to the ground. She shook her head, and continued to follow him. There was no one else driving down the street. She had a feeling he knew she was following him.

He stepped out of his truck, and then waited for her to pull in. He couldn't believe she had enough nerve to follow him. He had thought he scared her away when her grabbed her arms violently, but clearly that didn't send the message through her thick skull. Did she want to die? Did she knew that by coming close to him was putting her life in danger?

He shook his head as she opened the door and stepped out. Her heels made a clicking noise as she walked towards him. "What the hell did you follow me for?" He spat, looking into her piercing blue eyes.

"Because our conversation isn't over, Jack."

He looked towards the door to his hideout and groaned. They didn't know him by Jack, "Don't say my name. Got it?" He stated, "Follow me." He said, as he walked through the door that led to his run down hideout.

Zoey slowly followed him through the door, and down the narrow hallway. They passed a room where several individuals were playing poker.

"Hey boss, welcome back." One said.

Jack mumbled something and then continued walking up the stairs. Zoey followed, and became scared as soon as her heel touched the wood. The stairs were very old, and felt like they wouldn't be able to hold her weight. There was also spots in them that had broken off. She grabbed onto the railing and pulled herself up. She was thankful she made it to the top without hurting herself. She looked down the hallway and saw him almost at the end. She quickened her pace, and watched as he darted inside a room. She slowly walked in the room behind him.

She looked around the room. Inside it contained a bed, which looked like it had seen better days. A small television sitting upon a chunk of wood, and a dresser in the corner of the room, which looked as if a child had carved designs all over it. She then looked at him and noticed he was taking off the jacket of the suit he was wearing. He let it drop to the floor and he kicked it over to the side of the room.

"Why did you come back?"

She swallowed hard, "I found the letters."

"That doesn't explain why you came back." He said, turning around. He had also took out the contacts. She could now see his dark brown eyes. Those same eyes that sent shivers down her spine, but yet made her feel whole at the same time.

"I don't remember anything from my past." She said, looking at him.

"Susie told me." He said, walking over to the door, and shutting it. She also saw him lock it. She swallowed hard, as he turned around, "I'd rather not anyone walk in on this conversation," He stated, noticing how nervous she was. "Not remembering doesn't explain why you came back." He said.

"I came back because I wanted to find you."

"Why?"

"Because! My mother lied to you, I know about the letter. . . I didn't write that."

He shook his head, "It doesn't matter who wrote it. You're out of my life now. What did you come back here expecting? Did you think you'd find me working at some fast food joint, saving all my money to hopefully give you the future you always dreamed about?" He spat.

She shook her head, "No, of course not. I just wanted to meet you."

"You should have listened to Susie."

"But I didn't, and now I'm here."

"You need to leave. Things have changed."

She shrugged her shoulder's, "I'm not leaving until I get answers, Jack." She said with confidence.

"Stop calling me that!" He yelled, "I'm not Jack anymore!"

She backed up until she was at a wall. He slowly walked over, cracking his neck in the process. He stood directly in front of her, and she could see the outline of the make-up. He was covering the scars today. She licked over her lips as she starred at his mouth. The mouth she had kissed once upon a time.

"Look at me!" He yelled.

She looked at him, and could see that this was hard for him. She didn't know if he was always like this, or if she was actually bringing out a weaker side to him. She raised her hand up and stroked his cheek, not feeling any fear what so ever.

He closed his eyes feeling her soft warm hand stroke his cheek. She felt his scars. He opened his eyes again and looked down into her piecing blue orbs. He instantly regretted yelling at her. He was trying his best to scare her away. It was dangerous to be around him. Not because of him, but because of her being linked to him. If anyone found out she knew the Joker then they would harass her until she let the cat out of the bag.

"Zoey, just go." He said in a desperate attempt to save her.

"I don't want to." She whispered.

"What do you want?" He asked.

She shrugged her shoulder's, and then brought her hand up and ran it through her hair. He looked at her finger and saw a ring on it. He then reached over and grabbed her hand. It wasn't the ring he gave her. He found the anger boiling in him.

"What's this?" He asked, a little angrier than he intended.
♠ ♠ ♠
Image