Letters From Jack

Living A Lie

Zoey looked down at her hand and saw the purity ring she had never took off. She had wore it since her sixteenth birthday. She forgot it was there most of the time. She had stayed true to the ring for all this time, "It's my purity ring." She stated.

The Joker looked at her for a moment, wondering if she was telling the truth. He couldn't find any trace of a lie on her face, and then he grinned. The grin was soon followed by a string of laughter. She didn't understand why he was laughing. What was so funny about a purity ring?

"What's so funny?" She asked.

He continued to laugh, until he was bending over. She looked at him oddly, and then waited for him to collect himself. He stood straight up and was wearing a permanent smirk on his face, "A purity ring, eh?" He questioned.

"Yeah. . ." She said, still not seeing the funny side to it.

"And why exactly do you wear that ring?"

"You don't know what a purity ring is?" She questioned him.

He snickered, "Oh, I know. I just need to know why you're wearing it."

"Because I promised myself I would practice abstinence until marriage. It's also a promise to my future husband that he'll be the first and last person I sleep with."

He chuckled loudly, "Is that so?" He asked, in a sing song voice.

She arched a brow, "Will you please tell me what's so damn funny!"

"Shouldn't you only wear that if you're a virgin?"

"I am a. . . Oh my God!" She said, looking at him, "We. . . You. . . I. . . I'm not a virgin?" She asked, completely shocked.

He smiled at her, revealing his teeth which could use a cleansing produce, "Not the last time I was down there." He said cockily.

She made a disgusting face, and then ripped the ring off and tossed it to the other side of the room, which earned a laugh from him. "I can't believe this." She mumbled, rubbing the skin where the ring had been placed, "I was living a lie!"

"Calm down, it's just your virginity." He said, acting as if it was not a big deal what so ever.

"Just my virginity?" She questioned kind of mad, "I thought I was a virgin! OH MY GOD. You had sex with me when I was just fifteen! You. . . you pervert!" She spat.

She felt like she didn't even know who she was anymore. She had lived her entire life thinking that one day she was going to give herself to the man she loved. She had prided herself in being a good role model for children. Now, she didn't know what she was suppose to do.

"Actually you were fourteen."

"You've got to be kidding." She stated, as she crossed her arms over her chest.

He shook his head, "You can't blame me though. You sort of begged for it."

She rolled her eyes, "Enough. I don't even want to hear anymore of this."

"Can't handle the truth, Princess?"

She ran her fingers through her hair and looked at him. Was he telling the truth or just trying to get under her skin? She didn't know if this was the same Jack who had wrote her those letters so many years ago. "What else do you know about me?" She asked quietly.

He looked at her and sighed, "Too much."

"Like what?" She asked, on the verge of tears.

He licked over his lips, "I know you tap your foot against the ground when you're nervous, or waiting for something. I know you have a birth mark on your inner left thigh, which should prove to you that I know you on a pretty intimate level. I know you loved your cousin Rosalie like a sister. I know you had high hopes of your future. I know you wanted a little girl named Katie and a little boy named Cole." He said, rambling on and on with facts he knew about her.

Zoey couldn't help but to smile as he continued to roll facts off his tongue as if they were nothing. Slowly, she walked over, and when he was least expecting it, she pulled him into a hug. Tears flowed out of her eyes, as she laid her head against his chest.

He didn't know where to put his arms. He let them dangle down his sides, as she hugged him. Her head was placed on his chest, and he was positive she could hear his heart beat increasing. He felt so comfortable with her so close to him, but comfortable wasn't always good. He knew she shouldn't be this close to him. He was a bad person. He was dangerous, and could hurt her at any time.

"You just need to go back home."

She looked up at him, and then wiped her eyes, "I don't want to leave, Jack." She whispered, "I want to know everything about us."

He sighed, "There is no us. . . anymore." He said, peeling her hands away from him.

"Jack. . ."

"Zoey just go. Go back to your life. You don't need to be involved with me. You don't need any of those memories. Your mother was right by taking you away from me. Look around. Look where you would be right now if you stayed."

"You're wrong." She said, on the verge of tears.

Zoey didn't understand why he was trying to push her away. Clearly, they had been a lot closer than she ever imagined. She didn't understand why they just couldn't pick up where they had left off. She didn't understand why they couldn't at least be friends.

"Just go." He whispered.

He didn't want her to go, but he knew she needed to. He watched as a tear dripped down her cheek. "I'm not leaving Gotham. If you change your mind, I think you know where to find me." She said, and then walked out of his room.

He looked towards the door, and watched her walk away. He licked over his lips, and traced over the scars. He needed to stay away for her well being. But just because he needed to stay away, did that mean he could stay away?
♠ ♠ ♠
Image