Letters From Jack

Answers

He looked at her for a long time, not knowing what to say. She had asked him to stay, but should he? Could he stay? He didn't know if he liked the idea of him and Zoey being by themselves for long periods of time. It brought back so many memories for him. He had just as many questions for her, as she had for him, but he wanted his to remain unanswered. He wanted to keep on living his life without any problems, but he knew that wasn't going to happen. Zoey had somehow managed to find her way back into his life, and he didn't know if he would ever be able to let her go again.

"You don't know what you're asking."

"Please stay, I want to talk to you."

"About what?" He snapped, not intending to come off as rude as he did.

She frowned, "About our past. I want to know everything, Jack. You're the only one who can tell me the truth about who I was. I've been living a lie for the past seven years, and I think it's time I finally know who I was."

"I only knew you for three years, Zoey."

Her eyes burrowed together, "Three?" She questioned.

He nodded.

She raised an eyebrow. "I thought only two."

"We dated for two years. I knew you a year before we got together."

She couldn't help but to smile. "What were we before?" She asked him.

He walked over and took a seat on her couch. He was positive it was going to be a long time before he left. She clearly needed answers, and right now for some reason, he wanted to give her those answers. "Friends." He stated, "You were just this awkward little girl that was being picked on." He laughed recalling the memory, "I took up for you one day, and since then you kind of attached yourself to me. I didn't mind though. It's not like you were bother to me. You kept your mouth shut unless talked to, and you really didn't do anything stupid like most girls your age."

"How old was I then?"

"You had just turned thirteen when we met."

"And how old were you?"

"I had just turned sixteen. Our birthdays are only a couple of weeks apart."

She smiled, "So, you're three years older than me."

"Mhm."

"Did you ever get any crap about hanging out with a young girl?"

"Not really. I didn't have too many friends besides you actually. We sort of stuck to ourselves."

She smiled, as she sunk down next to him on the couch. She tucked one leg underneath her, and then turned to face him again. "Was I super annoying at times?" She asked.

He chucked, and shook his head, "Never." He sighed, "To be honest, I found myself liking you from day one. It just took me a year to convince myself that I liked you in that way."

She smiled, "Was I excited when you asked me?"

He nodded his head, "You jumped on me and planted a kiss on my lips."

She blushed at the thought of her doing that, but she assumed that the younger her was very comfortable around Jack. She asked him to tell her about them as a couple, and he didn't disappoint. He began telling her about many of their days spent together. How they would lay in the back of his grandmother's yard, looking at the clouds. How he would sneak into her bedroom at night after he had turned eighteen, just to spend time with her. How she and her cousin Rosalie would lie to her parents just so she could spend more time with him.

"So, Rosalie knew about you?"

"Of course. She was how we normally got to see each other."

She frowned, "Least that was one thing my mom didn't lie about. She said Rosalie and I were close."

Jack nodded, "Rosalie was a wonderful person. "

"What did you do when I left?" She asked.

He looked over at her and didn't know what to say. He hadn't been expecting this question. He was actually hoping he would never have to answer it. "I don't really want to answer that one."

"Why?"

"Because I don't like thinking about that time in my life."

"Jack, I'm sorry for what my mother did. It breaks my heart when I think about how you must have felt."

He looked at her and could tell she was being sincere with her apology. "It's fine." He mumbled.

"It's not fine, something bad happened after I left. . . didn't it?"

"Of course it did. You wasn't here, it wasn't like anything good could happen to me."

"Tell me what happened Jack." She begged him.

He sighed loudly, and looked over at her, "I don't think you're ready for that story."

"I'm ready."

"I don't think so."

She frowned, and then puckered out her bottom lip into a pout. He grinned at her, "Not tonight."

"But you promise you'll tell me?"

"Maybe. . . one day."

"How about tomorrow?"

He sighed, "I don't think we'll be seeing each other tomorrow."

She frowned, "And why not?"

"Zoey, this is dangerous for you."

"I don't think so. I want to see you, Jack."

"You can't see me like this."

She opened her mouth, realizing that he probably had a wife, and possibly a family. "Oh, I'm sorry. I didn't even realize. . . you must have a family. . . a wife, children. . ."

He shook his head, and looked at her with shock. "What?"

"Is that why you don't want to see me?"

"I don't have a family, or wife for that matter. Where did you get that crazy idea?"

She sighed, "Why else wouldn't you want to see me?"

He licked over his scars, and then looked at the beauty sitting next to him. He wanted more than anything to just see her. Every minute of every single day, but he knew that wasn't possibly.

"It's dangerous." He spat slowly.

"I don't care." She said with attitude, hoping to get her point across.

"You might not. . . but I do!" He yelled, as he stood up, "I'm not putting you in danger. Losing your memory was probably the best thing that ever happened to you Zoey. Can't you see that being around me is a bad thing? Don't you realize what a monster I am? Don't you fucking see? All of Gotham fears me, and here you are. . . asking to see me on a daily basis! Do you not realize how insane that is?"

She just starred at him, and then smiled. He shook his head, as he started for the door.

Just as he reach the door knob he felt a small hand grab his arm. He turned around and looked at her, waiting for her to say something. Only words didn't come from her mouth, instead, she walked close to him and then tip toed up and pressed her lips against his own.
♠ ♠ ♠
Image