Letters From Jack

Out Rage

His mind was made up. There was no changing it either. He didn't care how much she begged, how much she pleaded. After tonight he would never come see her again. He couldn't. He realized how weak he had become since she reentered his life. He wasn't the mad man that the city of Gotham feared. He wasn't feared at all when she was around. He looked down at her head laid against his chest and he thought about just giving it up. Giving the lifestyle he had created up, and picking up right where they had left off. But then he grew angry when he realized just what might happen if he done that.

Eventually she would leave again.

"I need to go." He said, the anger present in his voice.

Zoey looked at him oddly. She didn't understand why the sudden change had come. Had she done something wrong?

"Don't go, Jack."

"Don't ever call me Jack again." He hissed.

Her eyes widened, and she instantly tensed up. She saw something in his eyes she had yet to see. He looked angered, and evil. She backed away from him and he shook his head. She watched as he stood up and took off towards the door. She stood up, and then went after him, "Jack, wait! Please don't go!"

He heard her pleading to him, but he couldn't help it. He had to do something. He had to make her want him to leave. He had to make her realize that she was better off without him in her life. He knew he would regret what he was about to do, but it needed to be done. He turned around, and put on his best evil face. He then walked towards her, and placed his hand on her face harshly, squeezing it a bit as he pushed her towards the wall.

"REALIZE SOMETHING." He bellowed towards the angel standing in front of him, "I KILL PEOPLE, AND I WILL NOT CHANGE. I AM A MONSTER. I DON'T THINK TWICE ABOUT WHAT I DO, NOR DO I FEEL REMORSE FOR IT."

She didn't know what to think about his sudden out rage. She was scared, but she also knew that this wasn't normal for him. She had met the real Jack, this was merely an act he had done over the years. He truly wasn't this psychopath who she was now looking at.

"Stop, Jack." She begged.

It broke his heart to hear her say that, but he knew he couldn't stop right now.

"I SAID DON'T CALL ME JACK AGAIN!" He yelled angrily, and then brought the knife out of his jean pocket. He had no intentions of using it on her, but he knew he needed to make her scared.

Light from the blade flickered, and she gasped when she saw him bring it to her throat. Was he really going to hurt her? Hurt the only woman he had ever loved?

"I'm leaving, and I don't expect you to ever contact me again. Burn that box, and leave Gotham. Forget everything about me, and you might live to see another day." He said, releasing her from his grip, and then moving out the front door.

Zoey just stood there, not believing what had just happened. Had he honestly just threatened to take her life? She allowed tears to fall from her eyes as she dropped to the ground.

What had made him snap? Had she said something that triggered him? Did she do something?

He hadn't felt an ounce of guilt or remorse in a long time, but the second he walked out of her apartment, he seemed to be consumed by both of them. He had never felt so alone in his entire life. He felt even more alone than when he got the news of her leaving Gotham so many years ago.

He walked into the hideout in a zombie state. He could hear Reaper saying something to him, but the words were not focused in his mind. For all he knew, the young goon could have been threatening to take his life, and at this point. . . he honestly wouldn't care if someone placed a gun to his head and pulled the trigger. He retreated to his room without a word being said. He slammed the door shut, and then walked over to his bed. He sunk down onto the worn mattress and then reflected on what he had just done.

Was it the right thing to do?

He didn't only do it for himself, but he done it for her as well. He didn't want to drag her down with this lifestyle he had created. She meant so much to him. She meant enough to him that he would rather let her go, rather than see her suffering with him. He couldn't give her the life she deserved. She belonged with someone who would treat her right, someone who would take care of her.

He couldn't help but to think about the flowers she had received from Bruce Wayne. She had said they meant nothing, but he was now hoping they did. He didn't know Bruce Wayne that well. He knew very few facts about the young millionaire, but he was positive he would be a better choice for her than he was. He swallowed hard, and realized he had let go of the one thing that he had waited for the past seven years. The one thing who could save him from the madness.

It took Zoey several hours before she was even collected enough to move herself from the ground. She didn't know why Jack had acted that way. She kept thinking about what she could have done to set him off. Nothing came to mind. She wanted to believe that he didn't mean the things he had said. She wanted to believe that any minute now he would come walking back through her front door. She knew he wouldn't. The look in his eyes told her that he was gone for good.

She found herself crying, not over the fear, but over the loss. She had never felt so complete. When Jack entered her life again, the missing pieces seemed to feel themselves, and now that he was gone she felt so hollow and empty. He didn't only take the original pieces with him, he took many more this time. She swallowed hard and forced her body off the floor. She walked over to the sink and turned on the tap. She poured herself a glass of water, and then sipped back a few gulps.

She didn't know what to do with herself. She needed him, and now he was gone. She didn't know whether to give up hope and go back to her normal life, or stay in Gotham and try to make him understand that she needs him in her life.
♠ ♠ ♠
Image