Letters From Jack

Second Chance

The Joker placed his paint free forehead against hers and just stood there for a long time. He knew there was no more avoiding her. He couldn't stay away. Whether he liked it or not, he had made an agreement. He sighed, and she pulled away and smiled back at him, as she reach one of her hands up and cupped a side of his cheek. She allowed her finger to trail the scar right below his bottom lip.

"You're beautiful." She whispered so low that he didn't even think he heard her correctly.

He just stared down into her piercing blue eyes and could see that she was true with her words. Zoey had no plans on leaving him. She had come in search of making everything right, and he was damned determined to let her try. The only thing he had ever really wanted in life was a chance with her. That had once been ripped away from now, but it seems like he got a second chance. But what price would he have to pay? Would he have to eventually give up being the Joker? He licked over his lips, and decided that if they patched things up, and got to the point where they wanted to talk about a serious future, then he would consider it. But not at this point.

"We need to lay down a few guidelines. . . and well." He said licking over his scars, "Rules. . . doll face."

"Drop the Joker act, Jack. I see right through it."

He sighed, and then looked at her. He was attempting to scare her one last time, but she wasn't having it. He needed her to understand that this was a very serious matter, and the two of them even attempting to have something was very dangerous.

"This is dangerous. . . we need rules."

"What kind of rules? A relationship doesn't have rules, Jack!" She said, crossing her arms over her chest.

He groaned, "Who said this was a relationship?" He asked in a deranged tone.

"What do you think it is?" She asked shocked, "What do you think all this is about?"

"I didn't say anything about being in a relationship. I merely agreed to a chance."

She rolled her eyes, "What'd you think I wanted a chance for, Jack?" She hissed, "To be your friend? Oh, I know. . ." She replied sarcastically, "You wanted me to take a gun, and join your little team of baboons here, right?"

He rolled her eyes, and continued to let her bicker for a couple of minutes. He paid no attention to what she say saying. He licked over his lips, looked at the clock on the wall, and then sighed.

"Are you finally done?" He snapped, when she was inhaling some air, clearly ready to allow another string of words to float out of her mouth.

Her eyes narrowed, and she placed one hand on her hip, and looked at him sternly.

"Jack, I want to have a chance to see what I left behind."

"You didn't leave much, I can promise you that."

"Well, then. . . If that's the case then you won't mind agreeing to being in a relationship."

"I don't do relationships."

"Funny, because now you're in one." She said, walking over and picking her locket back up from the shelf and turning around, "I also expect my locket fixed."

He laughed unable to do anything else. Not only was she demanding that he be in a relationship with her, but now she was also demanding he fix her locket. He walked over to her with every intention of telling her that he made the rules. All of that changed when her lips curved into a cute smile. He groaned loudly, knowing he wasn't able to say anything mean towards her. She was his only weakness, and he was positive she knew that fact.

"You have a tough mouth for someone so small." He spat, as he starred down at her.

She smiled, and backed herself up against the wall. He unconsciously took one step forward, and then she bit down on her bottom lip gently. She stepped forward a bit, grabbed him by the neck of his shirt, and then pulled him into her. He almost stumbled against her, but he placed one hand against the wall preventing his large frame to fall against her smaller one. He looked down at her and slowly allowed his very own lips to curve into a mischievous grin.

"I think this is where we kiss and decide that I'm the one who wears the pants." She whispered.

He laughed, "Is that so?"

She grinned, "Very much so."

With that, her hands were on his neck, pulling his face down to meet hers. She winked at him, and then closed the gap between their lips. It wasn't as soft as the previous kisses, but more urgent and hungry. She wasn't holding back, and finally he wasn't either.

He knew in that moment that he needed her. He needed her like the air to breathe. She had been the only one to keep him alive all these years. The only reason he fought to stay alive when things got tough. Because of this moment when he prayed she would come back to him. He broke away from the kiss groaning, and then pressed his face into her hair. He knew he would do anything to keep her safe.

"We do need to discuss some rules." He said, "Just to keep you safe."

"I'm safe with you. . . aren't I?" She asked, "After all. . . you're the big bad Joker of Gotham." She teased.

He smiled, "You're safe when with me. . . but I'm not always going to be around."

"and when you're not I should be fully capable of taking care of myself."

"We just need to be careful, and follow the rules I make for us."

She placed her finger over his lips in a hushing gesture, "No more talk about rules right now. Just making up, okay?" She purred, and then pressed her lips against his once again.
♠ ♠ ♠
Image