Letters From Jack

Never Ever

After coming back in touch with each others bodies, they took themselves a nap. The Joker didn't sleep much though. He just took a short nap, and then found himself waking up with thoughts of what he needed to do next. He knew he needed to deal with Harvey Dent, along with the Batman. He needed to make Gotham understand that he was the one to be feared.

"Jack?"

He looked down and noticed she was now awake. He smiled, and then bent down and kissed her softly on the forehead. She grinned, and then moved her body upwards, clutching the blanket around her to keep from showing her body. He licked over his lips and leaned back down in the bed, "I should get going soon."

"Stay the night again."

"I can't, Zoe. I have things I need to do."

She sighed, "Will you give it up?"

"Give what up?"

"This Joker gig." She said.

"Zoey, you can't expect me to just give this up. I have things I need to do."

"You don't need to do anything, Jack! Come on, isn't it getting old? Don't you just want to move on from that point in your life?"

"And do what?" He asked angrily. He had thought she accepted that The Joker was apart of him and when he was ready he would give it up.

"Don't you want to be with me? Don't you eventually want a family?"

He licked over his lips, and swallowed hard. He had thought about being with her, but he didn't really think he needed to give up his alter ego to do that. He then thought about having a family, and that scared him to death. He never knew what a real family was like. He had grew up in a broken home where his mother over dosed on drugs when he was just two years old. His father was a drunken time bomb just waiting to explode. The only normal family member he had in his life was his grandmother. He didn't want to raise a child in a circus like he had been brought up in. He refused to make a child go through what he had.

"I don't want a family." He spat.

"What?" She asked.

"I don't want a family, I don't want kids."

She ran a hand through her hair and looked at the man she loved. The man who she had always loved. The man who she wanted nothing more than to settle down with and raise a family.

"You don't want kids?"

"No."

"Why?" She asked, kind of hurt.

"I just don't want them, okay? Drop it. I'm not having kids. I'm not giving up the Joker. You just need to deal with that if you expect to be with me."

She looked at him and could see he was telling the truth. She couldn't believe it. What kind of future would she have if she stayed with him? They could never go out in public as a real couple due to him being the Joker. They would never have children. She would practically grow old worrying to death about if he would come home at night. She shook her head, knowing she couldn't deal with that future. She wanted to marry someone, start a family, and live in a house with her husband and family.

"And if I can't deal with that?" She whispered.

He looked over at her and swallowed hard. He didn't know what to say. Was she breaking up with him? Was he breaking up with her? He couldn't help the fact that he was scared to death of having children. He didn't want to bring a child into this world and fail them just as his father had failed him. He also didn't want to give up being the Joker. At least not yet.

"You can't deal with it?" He asked in a sour tone.

"I can, but I won't." She said looking up at him.

He found himself getting very angry with Zoey. He loved this woman, and now she was going to turn her back on him? He shook his head, "Well then, what do you want to do about our situation? Hmm, princess?"

"You're not willing to give up being the Joker? Ever. . .?"

"Never ever." He said in a childish tone.

She swallowed hard, and fought back the tears begging to escape. She wouldn't let him see her cry. She wouldn't look weak to him. "And you don't want a family." She said.

"Nope." He said, popping the P. He was now reverting back to his Joker attitude completely. Jack was slowly disappearing.

"Then what is there we can do, Jack?" She asked, "We both want something completely different out of life."

He looked at her for several minutes and then just got up, and grabbed his pants from the floor, and pulled them up over his body. He slung a t-shirt over his head, and then looked at her. He loved her more than anything, but leaving was the best option right now. He didn't know if he would ever give up being the Joker, and her tagging along was dangerous. She also wanted a family, something he was too scared to give her.

"I think I should go." He mumbled.

She nodded her head, not really looking at him.

"I won't be back."

"That's okay." She said, "I'm leaving Gotham anyways."

He swallowed hard, and didn't say another word as he walked out of the bedroom. He grabbed his purple suit from the laundry room, and then walked out of her apartment.
♠ ♠ ♠
Image