Letters From Jack

Constructive Criticism

Zoey adjusted her swimming suit top as she walked out and joined the rest of the models against the back drop. Today she was being involved in a group shot with several other models. There were seven total, and each of them was sporting a different swimming suit color. Zoey was in a blue shade, which matched her eyes. She was glad to do this shoot. Not only was it to take her mind away from things, but it was with her favorite photographer. His name was Joe, and he had photographed her many times before. He had a good sense of humor, and she got along well with him. She guessed it was because they were so much alike. Joe was a very forward gay man, who loved to show his interest in fashion and hair.

"Okay girls!" He said, as he picked up the camera, "Give me your best!"

Zoey blended in with the other girls, but not too much. She didn't want to over power the shot, but she also didn't want to fade into the background. She worked her facial expressions, and used her trademark dimples to stand from the others. Joe instructed the girls on how to stand and pose, and the shoot was over before any of them even really got started. Zoey smiled, she had always liked working with Joe. He didn't believe in stalling. She walked over to the wardrobe section of the room, and changed back into her jeans and t-shirt. She picked up her bag and said goodbye to a few other models and began to walk away.

"Zoey, could I speak with you for a moment?" Joe asked.

She nodded her head, and walked over to where he was standing. He waited until every other girl was out of the building before he directed his attention to her.

"Zoey, I want to talk to you about something but I don't want you to take it the wrong way."

"Joe, I can handle a little constructive criticism. . . What did I do wrong in the shoot?"

"The shoot, you did fine, but I did notice something, Zoey. I normally wouldn't say this to a girl, but I see so much potential in you that I would hate to see you fail."

She sucked on her bottom lip, not really knowing where he was going with this conversation. If she hadn't done anything wrong in the shoot then hat could he possible be talking about?

"I've noticed you've put on a few extra pounds in your mid section, Zoey. It probably wouldn't be noticeable on a average person, but you're a very small woman, and even a pound or two weight gain is noticeable."

Zoey looked down at her frame and really couldn't see anything wrong with her body. She hadn't noticed any weight gain at all, but then again Joe's job was to pin point every flaw of a model and either hide it with the camera or fix it.

"I guess I've been snacking a little too much, and I've had some stress going on."

Joe nodded his head, "I understand sweet heart. It happens to the best of us. I just thought I'd let you know though. I'd hate to see someone harsher than me get hold of you."

She smiled, "Thank you so much Joe." She said, hugging him and then making her exit from the building.

She climbed inside her car and groaned. She couldn't believe she was putting on weight. She had been lucky enough to stay around the same weight since she was seventeen and came into her body. If she gained or lost any, it would just be in a two or three pound range, and not very noticeable. She ran her hands through her hair and shook her head. She had been back home for over a month now. Shouldn't the stress be gone? She hadn't had a nightmare in weeks, and she had come to the realization that she and Jack were possibly better off without each other.

Instead of driving straight home she headed to Kristen's apartment. They had plans to watch some movies and make banana splits. Zoey figured she would skip on the treat, and start a diet tomorrow. She cringed thinking about dieting. She had never really done it before. She never had a reason to.

She banged on her friends door, and soon her blond companion opened the door. "I rented a few movies, and got all the treats for today." Kristen smiled.

"Great, only I think I'll have to skip on the ice cream."

"Why?"

"Apparently I'm fat." Zoey joked.

"What?" Kristen laughed.

"It seems like I've put on some weight in my stomach. The photographer pointed it out today."

Kristen shook her head, and then clutched to her stomach, "God, I hate this time of the month." She groaned.

Zoey giggled, "Mother nature."

"I hate her." Kristen said.

Zoey smiled, and then her mouth dropped. She thought about what the photographer had said, and then what she had just realized.

"Kris, do you have a calender?"

"Yeah, on my door in the bedroom."

Zoey took off down the hallway and into her friends bedroom. She glanced at the calender, and then began counting back days. She swallowed hard when she realized she hadn't had her period yet. She was over two weeks late. Shaking her head she walked out of the bedroom, now sick to her stomach.

"You alright, Zoe? You look pale."

"I've gotta go." She said, and darted for the door. She needed to get to the store and buy a pregnancy test.
♠ ♠ ♠
Image