Letters From Jack

Three Minutes

Zoey swallowed hard as she placed held her hands tightly together. Three minutes and she would find out. Three minutes to see if it was just weight gain, or Jack's baby. Three minutes to see if her life was changing forever. She couldn't help but to allow the tears to flow from her eyes as she thought about what would happen if she was in fact pregnant.

Of course she would never give the baby up or have an abortion. That was just not an option what so ever. But what would she do? She would eventually have to tell people. Tell her parents. But how could she go and tell Jack? Would he even want to know? One of the reasons she left Gotham and Jack to begin with was because he said he didn't want a family. Would that change when he found out she was pregnant?

She assumed it had been longer than three minutes and looked over at the five sticks laying on the sink. She wanted to make sure she was pregnant or not pregnant. She bit down on her bottom lip as she peeked over and starred down at the sticks. Four held plus signs, while one spelled out the word 'PREGNANT'. She shook her head, and allowed more tears to fall from her eyes.

What the hell was she suppose to do?

She didn't even bother moving the sticks. She just walked out of the bathroom and over to her bedroom. She laid down on the bed and curled up into a ball, the tears still falling from her eyes. She was now sobbing full force. She didn't know what to do. Who could she turn to?

The Joker walked down the stairs and saw his three workers playing a game of poker. Midnight looked up at him and the two made contact. She smiled softly, and then looked away. The relationship between the two of them had become overly annoying since he had sex with her. He actually didn't even consider it sex considering he laid there, and didn't release. She now smiled at him all the time. He had to remind himself that she was a great addition to his team, and that he was already low on workers. If he wasn't low on goons then he would have put a bullet between her eyes ages ago.

"We going out tonight, boss?" Reaper asked.

"No."

He walked back up the stairs and into his bedroom where he spent most of his time. He locked the door, and then walked over to the shelf in the corner of his room. He picked up the gold locket and looked at it. He then shook his head, as he starred down at the broken locket in his hand. Two memories hit him full force. The first memory was the day he gave her the locket, and the other memory was when she stood in this very room and he promised her he would get it fixed.

He tossed it to the corner of the room, and groaned out as he laid down on the bed. He missed her more than he could ever imagine. He thought that maybe he would feel better about the situation as time passed, but now he found himself regretting what he had told her. He was starting to believe he did want to give up being the Joker, and he did want a family.

"Too late now." He mumbled.

Claire came home from her spa day, and walked inside the house. She looked in and saw her daughter sleeping, and then made her way into the bathroom to empty her bladder. She gasped out when she saw five pregnancy test sitting on the sink top, each with a positive result. She swallowed hard as she rushed out of the bathroom and into Zoey's room. She heard her daughter sobbing quietly, and realized she wasn't sleeping at all.

"Zoey?"

Zoey rolled over and looked at her mother, tears still streaming down her face. Claire frowned, and then came over to her daughter. She sunk down on the bed and pulled Zoey into her arms, rubbing her back gently. "Are you okay?"

"I'm pregnant." Zoey mumbled.

"I saw the test." Claire said, "What. . . what's going on?" Her mother asked her.

Zoey leaned up and sighed, as she dried her eyes, and then explained what had happened earlier at the photo shoot, and then realizing she was late at Kristen's house.

"So, you're over a month pregnant?" Claire asked.

"I'm probably about six weeks."

"That means you. . . got pregnant in Gotham."

Zoey nodded her head, "I found him, mom." She whispered.

"Found him?" Claire asked.

"I found Jack." She said, sobbing.

Claire rubbed Zoey's back in hoping to sooth her daughter. She really didn't know what happened in Gotham. She just knew it was a experience Zoey didn't want to talk about, she now understood why. Something had happened between her and Jack. They had reconnected on a new level.

"Sweetie, what happened? Why did you leave Gotham?"

"Because, Jack and I got into a fight." She replied honestly.

"About what?"

"About him not giving up things, and not wanting a family. . ." Zoey admitted.

"Oh sweetie." Claire said, pulling her close. She now understood why Zoey was crying her eyes out. She was pregnant by a man who didn't want kids.

"It'll be okay. I'm here for you, okay? I'll support you and help you with the baby."

"Mom, I need to tell him."

"Are you sure you want to?"

Zoey nodded her head, "I could never keep something like this from him."

"Are you sure you're pregnant?"

"I haven't had my period yet, and five test say so."

"We'll book you a doctors appointment to make sure. Then you can think about telling him, okay?"

Zoey nodded her head. Claire kissed the top of her head, and walked out of the room to give her some time to herself and also to book the appointment. Zoey breathed in deeply, and was thankful her mom was taking this so well.

She knew if she was really pregnant, then she would have to go back to Gotham. She wouldn't keep this from Jack. Even if he wanted nothing to do with the baby, he would at least know.
♠ ♠ ♠
Image