Letters From Jack

Six Weeks

Zoey fumbled with the gown she was wearing. She had went in for a check up, and also to find out if she's pregnant. Her mom had wanted to come along with her, but Zoey felt like this was something she needed to do by herself. She chewed on her bottom lip as she waited for the doctor to come back inside the room. There wasn't a doubt in her mind she was pregnant. Actually, she knew she was pregnant. She had been feeling a bit sick lately, but only in the mornings, which counted as morning sickness. She wasn't feeling like herself. Her period was late. Everything pointed to pregnancy.

"Miss Anderson." The doctor said, walking into a room. He flashed her a toothy grin and then read over the clip board in his hand. She sucked in a deep breath of air as she waited for him to tell her how far along she was. "It turns out you are pregnant, dear. About six weeks."

She nodded her head. She had done the math right. Six weeks pregnant. She couldn't believe she and Jack conceived a child after only having sex one time. How fertile was she? She sucked in some air, and thanked the doctor. He scheduled her for another appointment, and then left the room allowing her to get changed back into her normal clothing. She done that quickly, and then left the room.

Now that she knew for sure she was positive, there was many things she had to do. First, she had to report this to her agent. She would be out of work for the next year. She didn't even know if she'd return back to modeling after the baby was born. It would probably be better to find a more stable job to support the baby and herself. She couldn't depend on modeling for the rest of her life.

She walked inside the house and saw her mother and father both sitting on the couch waiting for her. She smiled at them and then nodded her head, "Six weeks." She said.

Claire sighed, "A baby will be good, Zoey. . ." Her mother said, hoping to sooth her worries.

"What are you going to do about your modeling?" Her dad asked.

"I'm going to phone Ryan right now. I'm not sure if I'll go back to it once the baby is born. I might just find a more stable job."

"What about Jack?" Her mother asked.

Zoey sighed, and then ran her hand through her hair, "I'm going to deal with Ryan, and then probably make plans to go back to Gotham next week to tell Jack. I'm not sure how long I'll be there, considering he might be hard to find."

"Don't you have his number?" Her father asked.

"He doesn't have a phone."

"Address?"

"He was in the middle of changing homes." She lied.

She couldn't just come out and say he was The Joker and he drifted from hideout to hideout. They would not only think she's insane, but never let her out of their sight. She walked inside her bedroom and then phoned her agent.

Needless to say Ryan was very disappointed and upset to find out she's pregnant. He had told her he thought she was on the verge of finally breaking into big times, and this would hold her back. Ryan said she could take the year off, and if she wanted to come back after getting her body back in tip top shape then she was more than welcome to.

Once she hung up the phone she groaned loudly. Just three months ago if you asked her where she was going in life she would tell you hopefully hitting it big times with Ford modeling agency. Now she couldn't even tell you what she planned on doing later in the hour.

She decided to go ahead and book herself a hotel for at least three days and nights in Gotham. She hoped it wouldn't take any longer to find Jack. She knew where one of his hideouts were. She remembered it from the time Dopey or whatever his name was drove her back to her apartment, but could she get there by herself?

Better yet, was it safe to go venturing off to his hideout? She wasn't any longer concerned with just protecting herself, but the baby growing inside of her. She had come to terms with being pregnant, and she decided moaning and groaning would do nothing to improve the situation. She was going to be a mother, and she had to deal with that.

After booking her hotel room she traveled into the living room where her mother and father were cuddled up on the couch. She smiled at them and then sat down on the recliner.

"Talk to your agent?"

"Yeah, I'm free for a year. Then I can decide about going back."

"What about your hotel?"

"I booked it for three days. Hopefully it doesn't take too much longer than that."

After chatting with her parents for a little bit she decided to turn in early. She hadn't been sleeping very well lately, and was hoping that those nights were over. She closed her eyes and prayed that sleep take over her exhausted body soon.

The Joker sat at his desk looking over folders Reaper had stole from Arkham Asylum. He was in desperate need of new workers. He wanted to get rid of Midnight. Her subconscious taunting smirk was annoying him to no end, and with Dopey already out of the picture he couldn't do away with her until he had someone to fill her place.

"No. no. no. no. no. no." He said, looking at the random folders.

He pulled on his hair by the root and mumbled something about not finding any good help these days. He shoved the folders to the side and then stood up. He felt something under his bare foot. Reaching down he discovered the locket. He swallowed hard realizing no matter what he did, or no matter how much he tired. . . he just couldn't forget her.

He sat down at the desk with a new task. He was going to attempt to fix her locket.
♠ ♠ ♠
Image