Letters From Jack

Lying To Bruce

Zoey pulled her jacket tightly around her frame as she walked down the streets of Gotham. It was now in the middle of November, and freezing out. She didn't know why she decided to walk instead of just drive around the town. She knew the odds of finding Jack out on the streets were not very likely, but she just wanted to walk today. She enjoyed the fresh air, and scenery.

She heard her stomach rumble with hunger, and sighed as she stroked over it. "I guess Mommy needs to feed you huh?" She said, as she darted inside a small diner she had once ate at before. She took a seat in the corner of the small shop, and looked at the menu. She decided on a cheese sandwich, and a small bowl of Chili. The waitress came over and she ordered her meal. She glanced out the window as she waited.

"Well, looks like we just can't but bump into each other."

Zoey looked up and saw Bruce standing there. She wondered if he had some kind of tracer on her that told him where she was at all times of the day. He always seemed to be able to find her.

"Hi Bruce."

"I haven't seen you around a lot."

"I moved back home."

"Oh, then what are you doing here?"

"Just visiting a friend."

She smiled, and then the waitress came over and placed her food down in front of her. She began instantly nibbling away on the contents, not caring if Bruce Wayne was watching her or not. He licked over his lips, "You know. . . we never really went on a date."

"I'm sorry Bruce. I'm in a relationship now." She lied.

His face fell, and he nodded his head, "I'm so sorry for asking then. I never knew. . ."

"It's fine."

"I'll be going now. I'm so sorry, Zoey."

She half smiled, and watched as he disappeared. She nibbled on her cheese sandwich, as the waitress came over and filled up her glass of coke. "Most women would kill for a date with Bruce Wayne, and you're blowing him off." The elderly waitress laughed.

"I just don't see him like that." Zoey explained.

The woman shook her head, "You're a lot different than most women then."

Zoey nodded her head, and the waitress left to allow her to finish eating her meal in peace. Once she finished, she placed a ten dollar bill on the table as a tip, and then went to the register and paid for her meal. She walked out and noticed the temperature had dropped even more. She pulled the jacket tightly around her and began walking back to the hotel room. She wasn't going to find Jack by walking around the streets. She was just going to see if he was at the one hideout she knew.

He watched as the four of his new men practiced tossing knives into a large padded wall he had set up with various cops faces on it. He groaned as he watched how bad they were with knives. He could only hope they had better luck with guns. He heard a knocking come to the front door of the hideout and he looked at Reaper.

"Go see who it is." He hissed, and then grabbed a knife of his own and placed it in his pocket. He told the guys to be ready for an escape.

Zoey stood there nervous as hell as she waited for someone to open the door. She stood there for at least five minutes. She could hear someone inside, but didn't know if they planned on opening up or not. She sighed loudly, and turned around.

"Can I uh, help you?"

She turned around and saw a thin tattooed male standing there.

"I'm looking for Ja--The Joker."

"What business do you have with him?" Reaper asked, and then remembered he had saw her here a few times. He had never questioned The Joker about her because it was none of his business.

"I just need to speak with him."

Reaper walked inside and waited for her to follow him. He knew he could probably be risking his life by bringing her into the hide out but he didn't know what else to do. "Boss, it's for you." Reaper called out.

The Joker knew that Reaper would not turn on him. So it was safe to walk out. He opened the door and then walked out into the living room. He stopped dead in his tracks when he saw Zoey standing there. She looked at him and he could feel his heart shattering to a thousand pieces. In that moment, he realized how bad he missed her. How much he desperately needed her. How much he loved her.

"What are you doing here?" He spat, although his voice trembled.

"I need to talk to you." She said softly, pleading with her eyes for him to not make a scene.

He licked over his lips, and sighed. He was in full Joker appearance, and needed to keep up the act. "Then why don't we just go up to my room for a little chat, Princess." He stated, pulling the blade from his pocket, and walking up the stairs with her following not too far behind him.

He opened his bedroom door, allowing her to walk in first. He then followed in behind her, and closed the blade. "What are you doing here?" He asked shutting the door behind him.
♠ ♠ ♠
Image